Aussie Broadband Worst in World

simmo

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

What qustion was that?

Mate it's a forum, you can post what you like.

Of course you can post what you like, but it does make you look foolish.  If you had read the post properly you would see the questions asked:

"Is it possible to get a very high broadband package, something 50MBps+ on NBN and expect a similar speed in return or are they limited to like 8, 12, 25 etc like some others suggested?

Theother question I'd like to ask is what providers are recommended? I come in with very little experience on who is a reputable company or not, Telstra and Virgin are about the only two I recognise."

Instead of answering, you tell the poster to get out more.

10 hours ago, DrPopkorne said:

Have to be honest this was one of my biggest worries with moving to Aus (QLD in the next year hopefully) as I often work, research,and play over the internet pretty frequently as part of my life. I currently get a steady speed of around 75mbps on my home network in England and believe me I make good use out of it.

I am scared of what speeds I would be expecting after the move.. and certainly when I visited my girlfriends family in Queensland I twitched a little when they were showcasing me their beautiful 4K TV... but then downsizing the stream to 480p. @Cerberus1 you live in Brisbane right? Is it possible to get a very high broadband package, something 50MBps+ on NBN and expect a similar speed in return or are they limited to like 8, 12, 25 etc like some others suggested?

The other question I'd like to ask is what providers are recommended? I come in with very little experience on who is a reputable company or not, Telstra and Virgin are about the only two I recognise.

Hi

I live rural now, about 100km outside Brisbane in the Lockyer Valley. I connect to the NBN via fixed wireless (which is like a small satellite dish on the roof which points towards the nearest nbn tower). Despite being a fair distance from the tower, lots of trees in the way etc, I can hit 40+Mbps off peak and probably 25+Mbps peak (both of which are fast enough to stream 4k).

In Brisbane, you'd be more likley to be on a Fibre to The Node connection (or Fibre to the Premises if you were really lucky). There's lots in the news at the moment about Fibre to the Node as the companies advertised speeds which they knew customers couldn't receive and as such, have been investigated by the ACCC

(eg https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/telstra-offers-to-compensate-42000-customers-for-slow-nbn-speeds )

I guess the upshot is, at least you're more likely to know exactly what speed you'll be able to get in future as the companies won't be able to offer unachievable speeds.

It's impossible to say what speeds you'll get as it will differ suburb to suburb and even street to street. When you're loking at properties, go onto the Telco's websites and enter the property address's and they should tell you what connection types/speeds are available.

Telstra and Optus are the 2 biggest Telco's. There's also providers such as iinet, TPG etc.We're with Optus

14 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Of course you can post what you like, but it does make you look foolish.  If you had read the post properly you would see the questions asked:

"Is it possible to get a very high broadband package, something 50MBps+ on NBN and expect a similar speed in return or are they limited to like 8, 12, 25 etc like some others suggested?

Theother question I'd like to ask is what providers are recommended? I come in with very little experience on who is a reputable company or not, Telstra and Virgin are about the only two I recognise."

Instead of answering, you tell the poster to get out more.

Try iinet. We've been with them for years and our NBN is delivered over HFC (hybrid fibre coaxial).

They have an offer on at the moment $39.95 a month for the first 12 months then it goes to 79.95.

Up to 100Mbps, unlimited data and VOIP included. Ours hasn't had any dropouts since it was installed about a year ago.

11 hours ago, DrPopkorne said:

I am scared of what speeds I would be expecting after the move.. and certainly when I visited my girlfriends family in Queensland I twitched a little when they were showcasing me their beautiful 4K TV... but then downsizing the stream to 480p. @Cerberus1 you live in Brisbane right? Is it possible to get a very high broadband package, something 50MBps+ on NBN and expect a similar speed in return or are they limited to like 8, 12, 25 etc like some others suggested?

The other question I'd like to ask is what providers are recommended? I come in with very little experience on who is a reputable company or not, Telstra and Virgin are about the only two I recognise.

I would recommend giving Aussie Broadband(the title of this discussion might be a little misleading as it refers to the broadband situation in Australia and not this company in particular) a try (https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/). I'm getting decent and consistent upload speeds of 40+/15+ on a 50/20. They  DO NOT have a contract lock in period which means if you don't like their service/speeeds you can switch without problems and apparently they've built their own "backend network"...which from my limited understanding is that most providers rent ports from Telstra or Optus at the exchanges before internet traffic gets on to the NBN. This often leads to congestion at the exchanges/POI's and can lead to slower speeds during peak hours or if you're connected to an exchange with many users and generally the 2 giant telcos tend to prioritise their own customers to that of a reseller. If you've got bandwidth congestion problems, you complain to your provider, who then investigates and sends a report to either Telstra or Optus. Aussie Broadband on the other hand, have invested in their own POI's. When I signed up last year, they were the only other company other than the big 2 telcos to have this. On top of that, their customer service is pretty slick.

Some locations have packages up to 100Mbps.

Not had too many issues with them. Like I said, no lock-in periods, good customer service...btw, we've only got FTTN. (before the NBN we were getting 2-4Mbps on ADSL which was miserable.)

Hope this helps..

PS: Disclosure :The only commercial ties I have to Aussie Boradband is that I have to pay my NBN bill monthly... ;)

Edited by JustUs

24 minutes ago, JustUs said:

I would recommend giving Aussie Broadband(the title of this discussion might be a little misleading as it refers to the broadband situation in Australia and not this company in particular) a try (https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/). I'm getting decent and consistent upload speeds of 40+/15+ on a 50/20. They  DO NOT have a contract lock in period which means if you don't like their service/speeeds you can switch without problems and apparently they've built their own "backend network"...which from my limited understanding is that most providers rent ports from Telstra or Optus at the exchanges before internet traffic gets on to the NBN. This often leads to congestion at the exchanges/POI's and can lead to slower speeds during peak hours or if you're connected to an exchange with many users and generally the 2 giant telcos tend to prioritise their own customers to that of a reseller. If you've got bandwidth congestion problems, you complain to your provider, who then investigates and sends a report to either Telstra or Optus. Aussie Broadband on the other hand, have invested in their own POI's. When I signed up last year, they were the only other company other than the big 2 telcos to have this. On top of that, their customer service is pretty slick.

Some locations have packages up to 100Mbps.

Not had too many issues with them. Like I said, no lock-in periods, good customer service...btw, we've only got FTTN. (before the NBN we were getting 2-4Mbps on ADSL which was miserable.)

Hope this helps..

PS: Disclosure :The only commercial ties I have to Aussie Boradband is that I have to pay my NBN bill monthly... ;)

I'm with Aussie Broadband and i don't have any issues with them (and they have an office locally). I would give telstra a wide body-swerve based on previous experience.

The NBN is a mix of different technologies, what you get depends on where you live  and at what stage your area was NBN enabled. These types are explained here: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/giz-explains-every-nbn-technology-compared/

You can check potential addresses here: https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address.html. This will give an indication of the NBN connectivity type in place or when it will be scheduled for NBN.

For residential NBN, Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) is the best and is generally hassle free if already installed. I have FTTP and have no issues getting close to the 100/40 service I pay for.

There is a long running conversation on Whirlpool about which Internet provider to use, however to summarise Aussie broadband and Telstra have the best performance, Aussie Broadband being pretty flexible over contract length, Telstra have unlimited data but a bit expensive. I'm with Telstra and have no complaints - it just works.

The others Optus/TPG/iinet/Dodo are cheaper but lots of complaints about congestion and speeds so be wary of getting into any extended contract with them. I've used a few of these but wasn't impressed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...