Aussie Broadband Worst in World

simmo

13 minutes ago, Parley said:

Yes. Have a read of this. http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nbn/what-you-dont-realise-about-the-nbn/news-story/96895fcaf406e16a7a3c4d9ac45a4fd4

There are lots of issues with NBN at the moment which I suppose is understandable to a degree with a massive project.

I expect eventually they will sort them all out though.

My plan is to wait as long as possible, ie the full 18 months and switch at the last possible moment. This is because I have a good service already so no rush for me.

5G wireless may be another option in a few years time, but bottom line is they have to pay for the NBN so they want everyone to use it.

Whoa! Just checked our area. The NBN is supposed to be there at the end of the month but when I looked at the packages and speeds - 12Mbps or 25 Mbps that’s pathetic! Cos you know that’s the max and it’s not likely to ever ge5 up to the max. I’m on Virgin here and it’s supposed to be 80 or 100 mbps and I know we don’t usually come close (mind you, BT, for all it’s “super fast” broadband can only muster around 5mbps in our street). Ack another headache to contemplate!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/11/2017 at 06:01, Quoll said:

Whoa! Just checked our area. The NBN is supposed to be there at the end of the month but when I looked at the packages and speeds - 12Mbps or 25 Mbps that’s pathetic! Cos you know that’s the max and it’s not likely to ever ge5 up to the max. I’m on Virgin here and it’s supposed to be 80 or 100 mbps and I know we don’t usually come close (mind you, BT, for all it’s “super fast” broadband can only muster around 5mbps in our street). Ack another headache to contemplate!

95% of England can get superfast broadband. Have you checked on the BT website when they are upgrading your nearest exchange cabinet?

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 05:53, Perthbum said:

Shocking that a country like Oz does not even have fibre??? they moan about the UK only having superfast broadband available to 95% of the people

There's thousands of kms of fibre PB. Just not fibre to the premises. 

Fibre was laid in our suburb by Optus about 10 years ago. It goes under our drive. I asked the contractors what they were doing as they had to drill under the drive and didn't do a good job of finishing off. That's half the problem, too many companies/contractors involved and they don't communicate with each other. Mostly because they are competing for your business.

Should have just given the whole job to Telstra.

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 10:47, Chris N Lora said:

I do believe they cannot force you to move over to NBN, thats what I was told by Foxtel, when we took NBN out wew were told well in August its all switched off you will lose all internet didnt happen it was false to try and scare people to move to the useless NBN

Depends what your connected to in the house. If you have foxtel you will have coax that can be used for NBN too with a splitter and another box and modem. Then for your phone switch to VOIP. 

If you only have copper to your house though that is being disconnected and you would have to get coax, fibre or something else.

25 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Mount Nelson just outside Hobart, Margate too, seem to have a power cut a month.

Even during stormy weather our electricity stay on.  It did go off for a couple of hours last month but we were informed (a week beforehand) that there was work being done.  Other than that all OK.  I'm not NBN connected yet but will have to do so soon.

48 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Mount Nelson just outside Hobart, Margate too, seem to have a power cut a month.

I'm in South Hobart:  have had only 1 outage this year...a very windy night in June.  Before that...can only remember Christmas night about 10 years ago, sitting in candlelight, by the fire - it must have been cold -  eating raspberries and cream....rather scrumptious!:biggrin:

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

Currently in Tas, but I know that’s not representative. However didn’t the entirety of SA go dark last year?

That's because SA commited to "renewables" And "green" energy solutions and shut down a couple of coal fired power stations way to early.

Lets hope the rest of Aus doesn't make the same mistake.

37 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's because SA commited to "renewables" And "green" energy solutions and shut down a couple of coal fired power stations way to early.

Lets hope the rest of Aus doesn't make the same mistake.

I wasn't aware that if we had still had the coal fired power stations it would have made any difference. 

26 minutes ago, snifter said:

I wasn't aware that if we had still had the coal fired power stations it would have made any difference. 

It wouldn’t have.  The main problem was a massive failure on the network that tripped the interconnector with Victoria.

22 hours ago, NicF said:

It wouldn’t have.  The main problem was a massive failure on the network that tripped the interconnector with Victoria.

It would have. They wouldn't have had to rely on so much power being drawn from Victoria if they had been generating enough baseload in SA. 

They had to switch off the wind turbines as it was too windy. That was a big cause of the "network failure". 

SA electricity costs are the most expensive in Aus and have led to a lot of companies to think about relocating. The renewables are massively subsidised too so any comparison with coal fired production is misleading to say the least.

In the washup it will all come down to can we afford to go green so fast?

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2017 at 18:11, Cerberus1 said:

We're rural, so have had fixed Wireless NBN for the last year or so. Considering where we live, I've been very happy with it. Today's speed is below

6735395546.png

we often get faster than that and looking at my speed test figures over the year, several times the download figure has been 40+ Mb/s

Drop outs - it maybe drops out once a week on average, I'd guess about 20 minutes downtime per week.

We work from home, so internet is vital and it's been fine.

For backup/redundancy purposes, I do pay $100 per month for a Netgear® Nighthawk® M1  with 40GB per month , but have never had the need to use it at home, so just tend to use it when travelling.

1.jpg

Hitting over 40 Mb/s now on NBN fixed wireless. Not bad, considering we're 30km away from the nearest town.

Early 2018, NBN are due to roll out 100/40 speeds on fixed wireless