Aussie Broadband Worst in World

simmo

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

You do realise how massive Australia is don't you?

It is rather a large geographicl area to get fibre to every home ?

UK is a puny little island. There is no technical challenges at all in a small country.

Yes it fits into Russia 5 times...the UK is 25 times bigger than Oz when it comes to wealth and world powerful nations.

6 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Yes it fits into Russia 5 times...the UK is 25 times bigger than Oz when it comes to wealth and world powerful nations.

Were you one of those bratty little boys who boasted about the size of his Dad's car and yelled at the other kids "My Daddy's bigger than your Daddy".  :cute:

• Haha 1

The UK has the same setup, FTTN Or fibre to the Cabinet in the UK via Openreach who are like NBN. UK Speeds generally are superfast at 76/20 Aus are 100/40. 

Virgin have had FTTC (Curb) in the UK for 20+ Years. (Telewest, NTL Etc) 

I think FTTC could have been achieved  in Australia or at least used more. 

Anyway, if anyone is thinking about getting NBN, may I recommend Aussie Broadband, they are the by far the most superior NBN provider at the moment, Even gaining customers from Telstra. Feel free to look at the Whirlpool forums, They manage their CVC usage daily and have Aussie support. They currently still have free setup and free month with the offer on the WP page. (I do not work for them or have any interest if you sign up but thought Id give them some loving)

• Like 2

On 10/25/2017 at 18:16, Toots said:

I'm happy with what I have too and I'm not on NBN yet either but have to by May.

I do believe they cannot force you to move over to NBN, thats what I was told by Foxtel, when we took NBN out wew were told well in August its all switched off you will lose all internet didnt happen it was false to try and scare people to move to the useless NBN

broadband  is shocking in Australia, even ADSL 2 its 2017 using the excuses of the size of the country when probs 97% is not lived in is not a fair point, its not just broadband, sadly, we moved over to NBN, we have nothing but constant issues ... we are supposed to be on 100/40 ... some days we are luck to reach the Dizzy heights of 0.95 Mbps..... we get told, we will get it fixed then a text saying great news its fixed and will go 5 hours without internet etc ... Foxtel, say well thats the best you are going to get deal with it ..... we get drop outs daily and they wont fix the issues, we just gave up trying to get it fixed ... we moved here in 2012, I feel like its 1986 .. so slow and backwards for a 1st world country. 

Edited by Chris N Lora
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chris N Lora i feel your pain we live 15 minutes from large rural town and our internet is crazy. Hourly if not more dropouts in the last 6weeks. Although it's really hit and miss at the best of times to be fair.  Took over a year to sort out an issue we had 6 years ago. Now they've started doing work to bring the nbn it's become just ridiculous. have had 3 techs come out over the last 6 weeks and the issue is still not fixed. So frustrating as we need our internet for work. I have now resorted using a prepaid modem for work purposes. It's really not good enough.!!

31 minutes ago, Chris N Lora said:

I do believe they cannot force you to move over to NBN, thats what I was told by Foxtel, when we took NBN out wew were told well in August its all switched off you will lose all internet didnt happen it was false to try and scare people to move to the useless NBN

That's good to know.  As I said before and I guess I'm lucky but I have had no problems with ADSL - no dropouts and it's fast enough (for me anyway).  The only time I had a problem Telstra gave me a new modem and no problems since then.

3 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

Not everything gets switched off reading this artlcle -  https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/device-compatibility/services-that-will-be-switched-off.html

Services that will not be switched off:

Some existing phone lines

The copper network within nbn™ Fixed Wireless and Sky Muster™ Satellite areas will not be switched off. Check your address to see what technology you will receive at your address.

Other fibre providers or private networks

If your phone or internet is already provided over another fibre network, such as a network provided by your building owner, private enterprise network, health or education network, or a cable network that's not owned by Telstra or Optus (such as TransACT – excluding ACT customers being migrated to an nbn™ powered plan, OptiComm, Pivit or others), they should continue operating unless your provider advises otherwise.

Foxtel

If you subscribe to Foxtel Pay TV and it’s provided over satellite or Telstra Cable, it will not be switched off as part of the nbn™ rollout. If you access any Foxtel services via the internet (for example, through an Xbox/PC/tablet/smartphone/smart TV), you will need an internet connection in line with Foxtel’s minimum requirements.

4 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

Once you are able to be xonnected to NBN and receive the appropriate letter you have 18 months to switch.

After 18 months you will be disconnected from your current service.

This has been legislated so the government can try and pay for the NBN. If people didn't switch it becomes a huge financial black hole for the government.

As it is they will probably have to write off billions of dollars as a bad debt.

Iss ues you are having maybe due to your telco and not the actual nbn. It can be hard to know who is to blame.

5 hours ago, Chicken66 said:

Chris N Lora i feel your pain we live 15 minutes from large rural town and our internet is crazy. Hourly if not more dropouts in the last 6weeks. Although it's really hit and miss at the best of times to be fair.  Took over a year to sort out an issue we had 6 years ago. Now they've started doing work to bring the nbn it's become just ridiculous. have had 3 techs come out over the last 6 weeks and the issue is still not fixed. So frustrating as we need our internet for work. I have now resorted using a prepaid modem for work purposes. It's really not good enough.!!

I feel your pain, I really do, they say cal us, I say well the VOIP is not working so no phone to call lol, now they credit the 35c it cost via mobile to call them when the phone is down ... have you asked for them to do a line trace, I was adivsed that the line had a break and it was replaced, they also said before due to water(rust) the connection was poor .. irony is when NBN rolled out here the ADSL2 became very stable. ... oh I pay extra for the speed boosts too.

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Once you are able to be xonnected to NBN and receive the appropriate letter you have 18 months to switch.

This has been legislated so the government can try and pay for the NBN. If people didn't switch it becomes a huge financial black hole for the government.

As it is they will probably have to write off billions of dollars as a bad debt.

Iss ues you are having maybe due to your telco and not the actual nbn. It can be hard to know who is to blame.

I have called Foxtel, who ask me to reset the Router, they advise a reset , literally I do it daily, they then say they will contact Telstra, who say no issues, even though Foxtel clearly see I am not connected ... to be fair, with too many fingers in the pie ,it will never be satisfactory ... 10mbps is a good enough speed for me, I just browse and email etc ... just wish it was stable a nd regular like chicken needs. 

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

Not everything gets switched off reading this artlcle -  https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/device-compatibility/services-that-will-be-switched-off.html

Services that will not be switched off:

Some existing phone lines

The copper network within nbn™ Fixed Wireless and Sky Muster™ Satellite areas will not be switched off. Check your address to see what technology you will receive at your address.

Other fibre providers or private networks

If your phone or internet is already provided over another fibre network, such as a network provided by your building owner, private enterprise network, health or education network, or a cable network that's not owned by Telstra or Optus (such as TransACT – excluding ACT customers being migrated to an nbn™ powered plan, OptiComm, Pivit or others), they should continue operating unless your provider advises otherwise.

Foxtel

If you subscribe to Foxtel Pay TV and it’s provided over satellite or Telstra Cable, it will not be switched off as part of the nbn™ rollout. If you access any Foxtel services via the internet (for example, through an Xbox/PC/tablet/smartphone/smart TV), you will need an internet connection in line with Foxtel’s minimum requirements.

thanks, I knew there was some that wouldn't be but was not sure of all thanks for the clarification. ... with the Foxtel, I was just advised the phone socket will work still, I checked and it does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris N Lora said:

I feel your pain, I really do, they say cal us, I say well the VOIP is not working so no phone to call lol, now they credit the 35c it cost via mobile to call them when the phone is down ... have you asked for them to do a line trace, I was adivsed that the line had a break and it was replaced, they also said before due to water(rust) the connection was poor .. irony is when NBN rolled out here the ADSL2 became very stable. ... oh I pay extra for the speed boosts too.

They've done all that and line was replaced and some other thing not sure what that was now. I'm still waiting for call back from them regarding setting a time for yet another technician to come out again. Honestly i'd just be happy to get a stable connection at this point. LOL 

Yes i'm on to the compensation for loss of service. I am going to ring them tomorrow and voice my concerns. My other half will be standing by listening no doubt he finds my calls to them very amusing?? Here's hoping i get somewhere. 

12 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I will never complain about our 50mbps again lol

I wish i can't even get a stable connection atm. Any speed would do me if it stayed connected (

3 minutes ago, Chicken66 said:

I wish i can't even get a stable connection atm. Any speed would do me if it stayed connected (

I did get an email from BT telling us that they had upped our speed to around 75mbps. In Brisbane it was very slow and prone to drop outs, our kids hated it. That was pre NBN of course. Sorry to hear that.

Edited by bristolman

2 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I did get an email from BT telling us that they had upped our speed to around 75mbps. In Brisbane it was very slow and prone to drop outs, our kids hated it. That was pre NBN of course. 

Now you're just being  too funny smarty pants. Lol 

So i've had an update from Telstra about the internet apparently due to congestion on the line in our area the issue will remain for an unknown period. Could be up to a year?? Odd given it was fine until they started digging and such for the nbn.  Fantastic so no fix any time soon. They have however agreed to reduce our monthly charges for both the internet and mobile services with an increased data to the mobiles. So a win of sorts i guess. 

On 29/10/2017 at 06:52, Parley said:

Blimey, so you are being forced into the nbn? Missed that one, being o/s. Our service in Canberra was (is still, I think) appalling - we were with the first roll out of a network and it’s not been updated since so we cancelled it. I think the DS is on adsl but it’s not much better. Something we will have to sort out eventually. 

14 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Blimey, so you are being forced into the nbn? Missed that one, being o/s. Our service in Canberra was (is still, I think) appalling - we were with the first roll out of a network and it’s not been updated since so we cancelled it. I think the DS is on adsl but it’s not much better. Something we will have to sort out eventually. 

Yes. Have a read of this. http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nbn/what-you-dont-realise-about-the-nbn/news-story/96895fcaf406e16a7a3c4d9ac45a4fd4

There are lots of issues with NBN at the moment which I suppose is understandable to a degree with a massive project.

I expect eventually they will sort them all out though.

My plan is to wait as long as possible, ie the full 18 months and switch at the last possible moment. This is because I have a good service already so no rush for me.

5G wireless may be another option in a few years time, but bottom line is they have to pay for the NBN so they want everyone to use it.

• Like 1