register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Johnnyboy

Cost of living in Melbourne

On 19/11/2017 at 09:30, dxboz said:

Perth is way more expensive than Melbourne!

Yes it is and Queensland seems more expensive also.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

I think Queensland is cheaper than where we are in Melbourne , wouldn't know about Perth these days but last time we went ( 3 or 4 years back) it seemed slightly cheaper. If you know where to shop it is fine though and there are many good farmers markets etc  The housing is definitely way up there but below Sydney.  Entry level is about $6-7,000,000 which I think is appalling and that won't get you anything much.

I don't think there's a lot of difference from state to state, EXCEPT when it comes to housing, and there the difference is absolutely massive.  Sydney is the most expensive.  Melbourne is about one-third cheaper.  Since mortgage payments make up a big part of most people's monthly outgoings, that's a big factor.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke