Cost of living in Melbourne

Johnnyboy

I currently live in Melbourne, sadly it has become a very expensive place to live over the past few years, house prices have increased considerably and the average young person really struggles to own their first home. Weather as people have stated is very mixed, Autumn is generally the most settled time of the year. I personally find the Summer too hot for me and certainly never sit out in the sun, I can get burnt walking from my car to the office! Summer also brings with it flies and mossies, flies I cope with by keeping doors shut etc, fly screens, mossies just make a b line for me and I end up covered in red itchy bites that swell up and pulsate. My late Husband was Australian which is why I moved to Australia, my Daughter from a previous marriage was 9 years old, I have not been unhappy here but I have a niggling feeling I would have been happier in the UK, by the way my Daughter and her Husband moved to the UK 10 years ago, they visit regularly but love the lifestyle the have in London, forever tripping over to various  locations in Europe for week ends. Big decision for you to make. 

Edited by karen williams
  • Like 3

Hi Johnnyboy,

Lived in Melbourne for 28 years and returned in March 2017 to test the waters.  I love being back in the UK and intend selling my unit next Feb 2018.  I've had a wonderful life there but Melbourne has grown too quickly over the last 5 years.  Transport is bursting at the seams, a huge lack of affordable rentals unless you head out a good distance from the city and house/unit prices are through the roof.  Yes, utility bills have risen dramatically and food is way more expensive.  I can hardly believe how cheap fresh produce is here in Worcester.  E.g. 2 punnets of any berry 1.50, 1 punnet in Oz $6...that is one example but I see it all the time.  No pound shops or the like so you pay premium for most things.  I earned $80k including Super and have a low mortgage and car.  Had a good standard of living as a singleton but not enough for a family of four.  Have you considered anywhere else?  Sydney/Melbourne property prices are crazy but other States are dropping due to the mining crash.  Perth is a beautiful state and very family orientated and has the weather.  Melbourne has 4 distinct seasons like the UK, that's why I loved it and it does get cold for 3 months. Have a fairly rounded knowledge and would be happy to answer any questions.  It is a great city but feel your standard of living would be less than what you currently have.  Good luck and all the best

• Like 4

We lived 8 years in the UK and are now in Bayside, Melbourne, and we love it!

There is no right or wrong, people are different, and if you really want it you can make it work! Hardest things are missing the family, and some weird stuff that hits you like Christmas, it is just not Christmas when it is 40 degrees and you are eating shrimps on the beach, but a lot of poms celebrate 'christmas in july'

Just a few things that may help:

My husband works in collins street in the CBD, about 16 k/10 miles from here, leaves home at 7.30Am and comes back at 6.30PM on a good day, he works late often and in the weekend so not easier than the Uk! They 'hire and fire' easier here, so if you want to work hard you can higher up quicker than UK..

His salary in dollars is 2.5 times what he earned in pounds, and the difference goes mainly into the much higher mortgage (but also bigger house), other costs are roughly the same..some things cheaper like fuel and alcohol, other more expensive, and some things unexpected, like school costs, our kids go to a state school but we still have to pay around $1200 per year (for two) and they need a laptop from grade 3 ($1000), things like that can throw you off...GP visit for adult $80, dentist very expensive....flights to Bali or Fiji cheap :-) bayside living priceless!

There are dollar shops and places like Aldi etc, so you can shop cheap if you know where to look, like anywhere it just depends where you live!

Kids have settled in really quick and have an awesome life here, our 8 year old just came back from three day school camp on Philip Island, and they have things like chickens and olive trees and outdoor vegetable garden and kitchen at school!

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions (time for me to pay back as I used this forum a lot before we came!)

• Like 2

Melbourne is a great city.  Why not go with it, see how you feel after a year and reassess.  I'd suggest renting out your home in the UK and test the waters like I am doing the other way around.  If your visa isn't tied indefinitely to your employer, you could check out other places too down the track.  It is more expensive than the UK but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  My friends thought I was mad to return to the UK but life is too short to live with regret and for me all has worked out perfectly.  Wish you and your family all the best.

• Like 2

Visa won't be tied to the employer but the high prices for food, utilities and monthly shopping is scary. We'd be better off if we sell our house in UK and buy something as the mortgage is cheaper than the rent. But if doesn’t work out well in Melbourne, we'll have the hassle buying something back here. Nothing is easy, innit?! My basic salary in Oz is nearly 2.5 higher than in UK, however I get a lot of overtime here and I don't know if I'll have the chance there as well. We need to work our budget very carefully because we might end up in a worse situation than we think. Hence this thread.

The tax is much higher in Oz too so although it sounds like a decent wage, once you take out applicable taxes and deductions for Super, generally employee contribution of 9.5% with your employer matching that and medicare levy which is 2% what is left in your hand isn't as much as you'd think. If you're classed as a foreign resident rather than a permanent resident there is also no tax break.  Everything is 32.5 cents in the dollar. I earn much less in the UK but with only 20% tax and NI contributions and a much lower cost of living I always have money left each month, something I rarely did in Australia.  Having said that I am sharing a house including all bills at the moment 425 all up so not too may outgoings. i am in a different dilemma as definitely selling my unit in Melbourne and trying to arrange from afar but will be worth it.  I took home about $4,200 from memory.  Check out the ATO link below for Super and other worthwhile info.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Individual-income-tax-rates/

12 minutes ago, KTM1963 said:

.  Everything is 32.5 cents in the dollar. 

No it's not.   The first $18,200 of your annual income is tax free.    You then pay 19 cents for each dollar over that to $37,000.

The 32 cents only kicks in for each dollar over $37,000.   Then 2 additional increments for $87,0000+  and $180,000+

If you take a look at the link, I agree, this is for a permanent resident but if classed as a foreign resident your full salary is 32.5c in the dollar.  I don't know what Johnnyboy's visa is classed as.  Also, here is an accurate tax calculator if you are classed as a normal permanent resident with allowances.  Did it on my most recent salary and compared to my bank statement.  It is spot on. http://salary.calculatorsaustralia.com.au/

realestate.com.au will show rental properties available...northern suburbs are generally much cheaper than inner city and bayside areas.  I lived there and loved it but each to their own.  Need to be careful with some suburbs too.  I am not a beach person so not important to be there at the premium price but was only 10 kms from the city with tram/train/buses on my doorstep.

I imagine you'll be fine as i have previously mentioned there are ways to keep your food bill low i.e farmers markets, aldi etc. Car insurance, petrol various other things are cheaper so i find it evens itself out. We have literally only been here for 3 months, my husband isnt working yet and we are managing to have a fair lifestyle just on my nursing wages.

Jen

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 06:41, KTM1963 said:

Hi Johnnyboy,

Lived in Melbourne for 28 years and returned in March 2017 to test the waters.  I love being back in the UK and intend selling my unit next Feb 2018.  I've had a wonderful life there but Melbourne has grown too quickly over the last 5 years.  Transport is bursting at the seams, a huge lack of affordable rentals unless you head out a good distance from the city and house/unit prices are through the roof.  Yes, utility bills have risen dramatically and food is way more expensive.  I can hardly believe how cheap fresh produce is here in Worcester.  E.g. 2 punnets of any berry 1.50, 1 punnet in Oz $6...that is one example but I see it all the time.  No pound shops or the like so you pay premium for most things.  I earned $80k including Super and have a low mortgage and car.  Had a good standard of living as a singleton but not enough for a family of four.  Have you considered anywhere else?  Sydney/Melbourne property prices are crazy but other States are dropping due to the mining crash.  Perth is a beautiful state and very family orientated and has the weather.  Melbourne has 4 distinct seasons like the UK, that's why I loved it and it does get cold for 3 months. Have a fairly rounded knowledge and would be happy to answer any questions.  It is a great city but feel your standard of living would be less than what you currently have.  Good luck and all the best

Perth is way more expensive than Melbourne!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2017 at 08:59, KTM1963 said:

The tax is much higher in Oz too so although it sounds like a decent wage, once you take out applicable taxes and deductions for Super, generally employee contribution of 9.5% with your employer matching that and medicare levy which is 2% what is left in your hand isn't as much as you'd think. If you're classed as a foreign resident rather than a permanent resident there is also no tax break.  Everything is 32.5 cents in the dollar. I earn much less in the UK but with only 20% tax and NI contributions and a much lower cost of living I always have money left each month, something I rarely did in Australia.  Having said that I am sharing a house including all bills at the moment 425 all up so not too may outgoings. i am in a different dilemma as definitely selling my unit in Melbourne and trying to arrange from afar but will be worth it.  I took home about $4,200 from memory.  Check out the ATO link below for Super and other worthwhile info.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Individual-income-tax-rates/

Employee contribution is voluntary, don't have to pay anything if you don't want to (I wouldn't bother paying anything if I were you until you know exactly what you want to do if you come over). 

Employers MUST pay a minimum of 9.5%, some pay more. Do you know if what you have been offered is inclusive or exclusive of superannuation...it's pretty important because it will affect the income you get at the end of the pay period.

Employee contribution is voluntary, don't have to pay anything if you don't want to (I wouldn't bother paying anything if I were you until you know exactly what you want to do if you come over). 
Employers MUST pay a minimum of 9.5%, some pay more. Do you know if what you have been offered is inclusive or exclusive of superannuation...it's pretty important because it will affect the income you get at the end of the pay period.
Super is on top of that $85k offered. Thanks

1 minute ago, Johnnyboy said:
3 hours ago, alscotoz said:

Super is on top of that $85k offered. Thanks

So you could take the glass half full approach and say that your package is about $93k. Any phones or vehicles or health insurance included? It all adds up. Have you been offered a job by Telstra? In your field it is probably hard to avoid some connection with them. I agree with others. Retain and rent out your home, give it at least 12 months and see how it goes. Also if your partner is likely to come with a negative fixed mindset probably best not to bother.

Give it a go mate, is my advice. If it doesn't work out look at it as 'gap time...sell it to your partner that way too';).

So you could take the glass half full approach and say that your package is about $93k. Any phones or vehicles or health insurance included? It all adds up. Have you been offered a job by Telstra? In your field it is probably hard to avoid some connection with them. I agree with others. Retain and rent out your home, give it at least 12 months and see how it goes. Also if your partner is likely to come with a negative fixed mindset probably best not to bother.

Give it a go mate, is my advice. If it doesn't work out look at it as 'gap time...sell it to your partner that way too'[emoji6].
My wife doesn't have a negative mindset, she'd like to give it a go... I'm the one with concerns, especially having 2 children involved. If we face financial problems, even the paradise will look dull and a very sad place to us.

31 minutes ago, Johnnyboy said:
50 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

My wife doesn't have a negative mindset, she'd like to give it a go... I'm the one with concerns, especially having 2 children involved. If we face financial problems, even the paradise will look dull and a very sad place to us.

Australia is not a paradise.   I'd say it's no better or worse than the UK, it's just different. If you were offered a job in France or Germany or the US, would you take it?  If you wouldn't, then why do you think it would work in Australia (not saying it wouldn't, just asking why you think it's a different proposition).

I prefer living in Australia, but like I said, it's very much a matter of personal preference, because you can't say one country is better than the other.   I'm a very independent person so I've never missed family and friends (which is the biggest reason for people to head home).   I find it easier to make friends with Australians than Brits - but most Brits find the reverse.

I'd say don't do it, if your main reason is better weather.   You'd get much nicer weather than Melbourne if you moved to Bournemouth.   I used to live in Sydney (which is what Brits picture as an Australian climate).  I've been in Melbourne over a year now - and I have met so many tourists who are astonished at the weather.  Especially the ones off the cruise ships, who usually haven't brought a fleece with them.  It suits me down to the ground, because I can't stand the heat.

If you enjoy visiting European cities, then you would like Melbourne.  Life in Melbourne doesn't revolve around the pub, pubs are for young people to get trashed in.  They go to cafes and restaurants.  If you're into the arts, there's a lot going on - dance, music, theatre etc.  Ditto sport - cricket, Australian rules football, tennis.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Hi, not sure if this helps. Bit of context, I am outer east Melbourne, 30 mins drive to the nearest station and then about an hour on train to the cbd. I drive to work about 50km each way, takes an hour there and around an hour 15 back on average, worst journey was 2 hours, not into the city but more Bayside. These figures would cover 2 of the 3 adults in my house per month (complicated financial set up for us). Running a medium 4wd. Mortgage is based on $300,000 loan. Pet fees are high just because cat has chronic condition. Mobile is payg. Don’t really eat out, don’t go out much at all. Home Insurance is best I could find living in a bushfire zone. I shop in woolies or coles and don’t find markets much cheaper, which is not others experience so might be me. Don’t like Aldi much, again just me. Health insurance is for a single parent family medium type cover with extras. I don’t get any family tax benefits these days but I don’t have school fees or child care fees either. 

Can’t help with lifestyle type questions as we all like different things.

Mortgage

$1,500.00

Elec

$150.00

Gas

$92.00

Rates

$210.00

Water

$85.00

Petrol

$200.00

Car insurance

$42.00

Home and contents insurance

$67.00

Groceries

$900.00

Ambulance

$4.00

Health insurance

$190.00

Pet care

$100.00

Mobile

$6.50

Internet/landline

$97.00

Netflix/Fetch

$29.00

$3,672.50

• Like 2

On 11/15/2017 at 22:42, Johnnyboy said:

Thanks, I did look there already but as we have 2 children, we need to look into schools as well.

Plentiful schools are there too Heading to Melbourne in February to ship my stuff to the UK. Selling my place 3 Feb hopefully. The more time I'm here the more I realise how expensive Melbourne is. I have a better lifestyle on less money as cost of food and entertainment is way cheaper. I'm in Worcester. 

• Like 1

Melbourne is still a good place to live though it is certainly a lot more expensive than it used to be- and the traffic is becoming a pain.  You need to choose your suburb wisely because the schools vary and so do the amenities and the crime stats. Same as the Uk in that way I guess.  Most of the good schools are in the East, clustered quite closely together.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Melbourne is still a good place to live though it is certainly a lot more expensive than it used to be- and the traffic is becoming a pain.  You need to choose your suburb wisely because the schools vary and so do the amenities and the crime stats. Same as the Uk in that way I guess.  Most of the good schools are in the East, clustered quite closely together.

Agree!