Power adapter/converter UK to AUS (?)

SiameseCat

Does anybody know if it's safe to use my UK laptop with a power adapter in Oz? I'm reading that there's a difference between a plug adapter and a voltage converter but I really don't fully understand which one I need to get hold of (assuming it's safe to use).

- I once used my UK hair straighteners with a plug adapter whilst in the US and they literally exploded next to my face after seconds of use!:/

Hope someone can help, thank you

Hi

If your laptop's from the UK then it's fine to use with a plug adapter as the UK & Australia use the same voltage - 240volts

Your UK hair straighteners would have exploded as the UK uses 240Volts where as the US uses 110 volts, so they were being supplied with over twice the voltage they were designed for. In that case, you would have needed to use a step up/down voltage transformer to use your hair straighteners in the US.

(Just to be strictly accurate, then I don't get pulled on it, The UK uses 230 V +10%/−6%., as does Australia (since 2000) As in the UK, 240 V is within the allowable limits and "240 volt" is a synonym for mains in Australian and British English)

• Thanks 1