Partner 309/100 Visa

pepper_hm

Hi,

Looking for a little advice.  I am Australian and my husband is Canadian, we are applying offshore for the partner 309/100 visa.  During the processing time we will be visiting Australia for a holiday to see my family for around 2 -3 months.  Is this allowed?  Do I need to notify anyone that we are visiting while the visa is being processed?  If we have a case officer assigned already, would we notify them?  Does the partner visa processing go on hold while we're in Australia?

Any information you can provide will be much appreciated.

Yes it and and yes you should inform your CO. There should be a central email contact for visa applicants to email and notify of your plans, dates of travel and so on. 

I don’t know he processing time of partner visas from Canada but if you know you are going and have flights booked I’d apply for that tourist visa asap. Or have done so already if it will be valid later on still when travelling. 

No, the partner visa processing does not go on hold that I am aware of. Your husband cannot be in Australia when it is granted be aware. He has to be off shore. 

Thanks Snifter.  One additional question - we will likely enter Australia to activate the 309/100 visa and then leave to get our affairs in order in Canada before going to Australia permanently.  Do you know how long we have after initially activating the visa to actually move to Australia?  I want to make sure we have plenty of time to sell what we need to sell, etc.

Once it's validated it's a number of years. Can't recall if it's from date of grant or activation but I would expect that should be ample time in which to make a permanent move. 

Note that the second stage processing subclass 100 is due two years after you lodged your 309 (not date of grant). You can apply for stage 2 from outside Oz, but there are some requirements for Aus police checks, stat decs etc which are better obtained once you are settled in Oz.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Thanks.  I was under the assumption that they issue the 100 subclass immediately after in some cases.  My husband and I have been married for 6 years and together for 10; would this justify an immediate grant of subclass 100?

Brit and Aussie couple here. Married for 6 years, one child. Received permanent resident visa grant rather than temp.

1 hour ago, Ozzie said:

Brit and Aussie couple here. Married for 6 years, one child. Received permanent resident visa grant rather than temp.

Great, thanks Ozzie.  How long did it take from application to being granted your visa; was it long after you supplied your police and health checks?  

14 hours ago, pepper_hm said:

Great, thanks Ozzie.  How long did it take from application to being granted your visa; was it long after you supplied your police and health checks?  

We supplied health check after we had applied (about two months after but before they asked for it - called front-loading). We also did this with the police certificate.

From the time we applied to the time of grant it was five months and one day. However, everyone's application is different so yours could be (if successful), much sooner or a heck of a lot longer. All the best by the way!

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

hi Pepper,

a fellow Canadian here....hubby= Australian/Canadian. Wife (me)=Canadian. Been married 15+ yrs. (together 18 yrs.) no children. currently live/work in Canada.

DOL: Nov 7, 2017......few days into this process.

not sure you have the answer to this or anyone for that matter....for the police check....do they send it directly to the Australian gov't or is it ok to get it mailed to my address for me to upload to my immi account?

2 hours ago, Cegor said:

hi Pepper,

a fellow Canadian here....hubby= Australian/Canadian. Wife (me)=Canadian. Been married 15+ yrs. (together 18 yrs.) no children. currently live/work in Canada.

DOL: Nov 7, 2017......few days into this process.

not sure you have the answer to this or anyone for that matter....for the police check....do they send it directly to the Australian gov't or is it ok to get it mailed to my address for me to upload to my immi account?

I am not aware that police checks are sent directly to Aus immigration. People send off for them and they are sent back to the applicant, then uploaded to their immi account. Have you read the info on police checks for your country to see the process and time it takes etc? I took a quick peek at the Aus immi site on it all and found Canada in a minute or two. 

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/

Though the pages to click through began here https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-do-i-apply-for-a-police-check-if-i-am-outside-australia  It also lists panel doctors there.