The weather ?

bristolman

9 hours ago, Perthbum said:

You probably stayed indoors with your woolly hat on and your granddad slippers.....ohhhhhh its cold outside and look how frosty it is....xD ....you get as many people walking in the winter as you do in the summer, 

last winter walks...:)

305F162C00000578-3409386-image-a-3_1453337199488.jpg

But you keep saying it's always warm , no freezing weather always warm  ,so why put a picture  post card image up 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Must admit its starting to fee; xmassy, cold this morning without a cloud in the sky, up at 6 for a run walk with the dog and getting ready for work....xmas menu already out at our pubs and booking almost full already...£65 a head for  a 4 course meal on xmas day seems a good deal.

Bah Humbug  .............  all that Christmassy stuff in the shops already.  Really?!  

We are clearing off to Queenstown, NZ for Christmas.  Bit of a family get together at our nephew's place.  There will be 10 of us there.

That 65 quid a head lunch sounds the go PB.  Last time we had lunch out on Christmas Day was a few years ago - and it was $100 a head - very nice it was too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rallyman said:

But you keep saying it's always warm , no freezing weather always warm  ,so why put a picture  post card image up 

Please listen....I have said it has been dry and mild with some sharp frosts in the morning, the  day goes on it goes warmer and the frost goes.....thats how it works in England, you ever been?

14 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Please listen....I have said it has been dry and mild with some sharp frosts in the morning, the  day goes on it goes warmer and the frost goes.....thats how it works in England, you ever been?

Having lived there for 45 plus years I know English weather 

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:18, Perthbum said:

Must admit its starting to fee; xmassy, cold this morning without a cloud in the sky, up at 6 for a run walk with the dog and getting ready for work....xmas menu already out at our pubs and booking almost full already...£65 a head for  a 4 course meal on xmas day seems a good deal.

well here's where we have booked £72.95 a head .....why ? ...because there is that much hoo ha made over here about Xmas ...after last year , I said " enough is enough "...a turkey the size of an ostrich ....a side of beef ...and a piece of pork ....monstrous preparation ....then all the shite to go on the table ....

this year ...drive to the venue ...get spoilt ..give the staff a nice big tip ...and leave ?

WP_20171030_11_47_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_11_48_14_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, bunbury61 said:

well here's where we have booked £72.95 a head .....why ? ...because there is that much hoo ha made over here about Xmas ...after last year , I said " enough is enough "...a turkey the size of an ostrich ....a side of beef ...and a piece of pork ....monstrous preparation ....then all the shite to go on the table ....

this year ...drive to the venue ...get spoilt ..give the staff a nice big tip ...and leave ?

WP_20171030_11_47_59_Pro.jpg

WP_20171030_11_48_14_Pro.jpg

Lpo bub

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:50, ScottieGirl said:

I am surprised anyone would base their decision on where to live on what the weather is like. It bewilders me.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 18:20, ScottieGirl said:

It was a wee bit windy when Ophelia blew through but you are right it's not cold which is just as well as my stuff including all my winter clothes is still in storage ☹

I have a sibling that does just that ...his life is driven by the beach and the sun ..shallow I know , but true .

the trips are dictated by the potential weather ...no way could he put up with the u.k ...oct - apr

I see they are predicting a cold winter for us ....we are overdue one .

I know some on here , in the u.k , will be happy with snow and minus temps .

I wont be one of them ..brrrrr?

Lpo bub

I am surprised anyone would base their decision on where to live on what the weather is like. It bewilders me.

It was a wee bit windy when Ophelia blew through but you are right it's not cold which is just as well as my stuff including all my winter clothes is still in storage ☹

I have a sibling that does just that ...his life is driven by the beach and the sun ..shallow I know , but true .

the trips are dictated by the potential weather ...no way could he put up with the u.k ...oct - apr

Lpo bub

Lpo bub

4 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Lpo bub

Who is forecasting that lol They do exactly the same every year and get it totally wrong every year, it's laughable. 

4 hours ago, bristolman said:

Who is forecasting that lol They do exactly the same every year and get it totally wrong every year, it's laughable. 

lol agree, they have been doing it for the last 10 years and every year wrong.......one day they will obviously get it right down to the law of averages and say....."told you so"

21 hours ago, Toots said:

Bah Humbug  .............  all that Christmassy stuff in the shops already.  Really?!  

We are clearing off to Queenstown, NZ for Christmas.  Bit of a family get together at our nephew's place.  There will be 10 of us there.

That 65 quid a head lunch sounds the go PB.  Last time we had lunch out on Christmas Day was a few years ago - and it was $100 a head - very nice it was too.

View from restaurant where we are having Christmas dinner.

views from hotel.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

lol agree, they have been doing it for the last 10 years and every year wrong.......one day they will obviously get it right down to the law of averages and say....."told you so"

It may have been mild every winter in Stratford upon Heaven for the last 10 years but we had two very cold winters in the UK before we moved to Australia 5.5 years ago.  I know it didn't snow all over the country but in our spot of South Yorkshire we had enough snow each year to close many schools in the area and stop us from being able to get the car off the drive and had temperatures down to -9 overnight and didn't get above freezing during the day.  It was so bad at one point that in our well insulated, double glazed, central heated house the cold water pipe to our upstairs bathroom froze.  I wasn't like that all winter but my fur lined coat got a good workout in those winters.

1 minute ago, NicF said:

It may have been mild every winter in Stratford upon Heaven for the last 10 years but we had two very cold winters in the UK before we moved to Australia 5.5 years ago.  I know it didn't snow all over the country but in our spot of South Yorkshire we had enough snow each year to close many schools in the area and stop us from being able to get the car off the drive and had temperatures down to -9 overnight and didn't get above freezing during the day.  It was so bad at one point that in our well insulated, double glazed, central heated house the cold water pipe to our upstairs bathroom froze.  I wasn't like that all winter but my fur lined coat got a good workout in those winters.

That's the thing though NickF  .....................  different parts of the UK are far colder/wetter than other parts.  I am a tough old dame but I was in Scotland for the whole of May (nearly 3 years ago) and it was cold and rainy with the odd nice day here and there and I really felt the cold.  Down in London where my sister was living it was much nicer weather.  One of my oldest friends lives on a farm near Gammersgill, North Yorkshire and she has long cold winters there but she loves it and I have to say when I visited her in the summertime it was the most glorious place.  

I liked nice frosty mornings but not when the frost lasts all day long for days on end.  

5 hours ago, NicF said:

strange that nicf ...i know on my travels north , the weather starts to change around Derbyshire .

but I have to agree with pb on this one , because I hate the winter , I check the weather every day .....i have professional hygrometers .

the last normal u.k winter was 2010 11 ...a proper winter spell ...frozen pipes etc

to my recent knowledge , we have not had a day time below zero in 3 winters , probably longer

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

strange that nicf ...i know on my travels north , the weather starts to change around Derbyshire .

but I have to agree with pb on this one , because I hate the winter , I check the weather every day .....i have professional hygrometers .

the last normal u.k winter was 2010 11 ...a proper winter spell ...frozen pipes etc

to my recent knowledge , we have not had a day time below zero in 3 winters , probably longer

That was one of the winters I was talking about.  PB said the UK had mild winters for the last 10 years, but we had two bad ones before we moved in 2012.  Can't comment on winters from 2012 on as we haven't been there, although very few comments about snow on my Facebook feed from the UK friends.

7 minutes ago, NicF said:

That was one of the winters I was talking about.  PB said the UK had mild winters for the last 10 years, but we had two bad ones before we moved in 2012.  Can't comment on winters from 2012 on as we haven't been there, although very few comments about snow on my Facebook feed from the UK friends.

We had a bad one in 2010 down to -18 

On 29/10/2017 at 20:44, Perthbum said:

You probably stayed indoors with your woolly hat on and your granddad slippers.....ohhhhhh its cold outside and look how frosty it is....xD ....you get as many people walking in the winter as you do in the summer, 

last winter walks...:)

305F162C00000578-3409386-image-a-3_1453337199488.jpg

I'm confused about this picture, what's it's purpose?, you've nicked a picture from a Daily Mail article depicting Malmesbury in Wiltshire from an article talking about 'temperatures plummet as low as -12C' ? (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3407991/UK-weather-Rush-hour-drivers-face-icy-roads-freezing-fog-12C-temperatures.html)

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

Last winter was the mildest for more than a CENTURY

• Met Office statistics show that 2016 was the 13th warmest in records
  • Winter last year was especially warm, and was the second wettest on record 
  • In contrast, the second half of the year was notably dry, particularly in the south 

3 minutes ago, Cerberus1 said:

I'm confused about this picture, what's it's purpose?, you've nicked a picture from a Daily Mail article depicting Malmesbury in Wiltshire from an article talking about 'temperatures plummet as low as -12C' ?

I know and have been there many times as I have relatives there, just showing that although it has been very mild over the last few winters it still can get very cold and frosty in the mornings.