The weather ?

bristolman

6 minutes ago, LKC said:

This was taken on my morning walk yesterday.  It was about 12 or 13 degrees, but beautiful :D.  

IMG_2262.JPG

Lovely pic LKC.   That road remind me of the wee road past my Mum's house.  When the cows were coming in for milking, everyone in a car had to wait until the cows reached the farm before they could speed up again.  :) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LKC said:

Yes, Scotland.  I took this one out the back of our house.  We've ended up in a really beautiful area!

IMG_2275.JPG

good for you ...clean fresh air ?.....the beat sunsets I have ever seen were in oz , on a regular basis ....but Scotland has some great ones too ....i remember being in the highlands ( loch shiel ) ..in front of the harry potter ( highland ) railway ....the sun set over the loch , and the sky was pink ....stunning.

.well done lkc, best of luck with the move ...iam currently sat outside a house in west bromwich ....not very glamorous iam afraid ?

Brisbane winter can be marvellous - I like it equally as much as a south coast UK summer, albeit that the days are so gloriously long in the UK summer. I am learning to hate Brisbane summers  - as someone who loves being outdoors and hiking I think I'd rather take my chances with a UK winter. So depressing being trapped in aircon and unable to go outside without being flayed alive and covered in sweat that can't cool you down due to humidity. In the UK a decent waterproof and snug clothing are all that's required. Australia does have beautiful weather in some regions however  - I think the area around Newcastle is pretty good. It's taken me a long time to prefer the UK weather over Brisbane's though. Can't wait to spend more time in the UK in retirement.

• Like 3

On 25/10/2017 at 18:02, grizzly111 said:

The UK weather ain't the best but that all depends on your definition and needs of course.

I can factually say, though, that at least the sun in the UK has much less chance of killing you than in Australia! Especially QLD, which has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. As an owner of multiple covertibles over the years - which have been extremely enjoyable I might add - my next car will certainly be a fixed roof. 

Also, many appear not to know that incidence of pterygiums is high in Australia as well (again, esp QLD). If you are wondering what a pterygium is, it's basically flesh that forms over the eye as the body's natural response to protect it from constant, excessive UV exposure. You may have noticed people with this condition especially in areas of the world that are exposed to high UV indexes and where people tend to work/spend time outside. It needs to be surgically removed in those affected by an opthamologist. 

I really urge people to remember to use sunscreen (and use it properly!) & cover up where possible when enjoying the fantastic (generally) weather in Australia.

For me personally:

Winter vs winter - Australia definitely superior.

Summer vs summer - England is more enjoyable.

I agree.

But would also add that I personally much prefer the warmer, sunnier springs and autumns in SE Qld over SE England.

Presumably pterygiums can be avoided by wearing sunnies with UV protection.

4 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

Brisbane winter can be marvellous - I like it equally as much as a south coast UK summer, albeit that the days are so gloriously long in the UK summer. I am learning to hate Brisbane summers  - as someone who loves being outdoors and hiking I think I'd rather take my chances with a UK winter. So depressing being trapped in aircon and unable to go outside without being flayed alive and covered in sweat that can't cool you down due to humidity. In the UK a decent waterproof and snug clothing are all that's required. Australia does have beautiful weather in some regions however  - I think the area around Newcastle is pretty good. It's taken me a long time to prefer the UK weather over Brisbane's though. Can't wait to spend more time in the UK in retirement.

Having just spent two weeks back in the uk for the first time at this time of year, generally the weather was quite good short sleeves most of the time some people in shorts too, but what was the best part was the autumn colours, something we don't get in Brisbane. The hot and sometimes humid weather of Brisbane bothers Linda more than it does me but then I have no choice having an outside job, much prefer it to my outside job in the UK during autumn and winter especially the driving in fog, drizzle ice and snow (sometimes all in the one day too).

However next year is the start of retirement for me along with the first intended annual 4 - 6 month stint of UK living.............can't wait. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Keith and Linda said:

Having just spent two weeks back in the uk for the first time at this time of year, generally the weather was quite good short sleeves most of the time some people in shorts too, but what was the best part was the autumn colours, something we don't get in Brisbane. The hot and sometimes humid weather of Brisbane bothers Linda more than it does me but then I have no choice having an outside job, much prefer it to my outside job in the UK during autumn and winter especially the driving in fog, drizzle ice and snow (sometimes all in the one day too).

However next year is the start of retirement for me along with the first intended annual 4 - 6 month stint of UK living.............can't wait. 

Good on ya Keith!  Sounds perfect.  :)

• Like 1

Having to work outside in cold or hot weather I feel is quite diffrent to being outside through choice , I have had enough of working in cold and damp weather of uk to last me a life time , although when it hit 50 back in February that was a bit too hot , just went for a cold one ?

On 10/23/2017 at 18:03, bristolman said:

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

I love how in one breath you defend the weather in England to the hilt then totally dismiss the weather in Scotland as crap!

Whilst I agree the English weather isn't always cold and it's not always raining it is bloody dismal it's grey so often! The seasons are non existent when people defend the English seasons they are delusional try living Canada some parts of the US or Northern Europe where they have proper seasons the English seasons just merge together.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

I love how in one breath you defend the weather in England to the hilt then totally dismiss the weather in Scotland as crap!

Whilst I agree the English weather isn't always cold and it's not always raining it is bloody dismal it's grey so often! The seasons are non existent when people defend the English seasons they are delusional try living Canada some parts of the US or Northern Europe where they have proper seasons the English seasons just merge together.

rubbish

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Another absolutely glorious day today. Not a cloud in the sky, Autumn is a beautiful time of year. 

Similar here.  Bright blue sky, a few white whispy clouds, gorgeous sunshine.  It has been chilly, was about 2 degrees first thing and there was a frost on the grass in some places, up to about 12 degrees this afternoon, but it really has been a beautiful day.  Not that I mind the drizzle when it's here, though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LKC said:

Similar here.  Bright blue sky, a few white whispy clouds, gorgeous sunshine.  It has been chilly, was about 2 degrees first thing and there was a frost on the grass in some places, up to about 12 degrees this afternoon, but it really has been a beautiful day.  Not that I mind the drizzle when it's here, though!

16c here, still in shorts and t-shirt, comfortably not to prove a point lol

9 hours ago, LKC said:

Nothing wrong with Scottish weather.  After Tasmania I wouldn't live anywhere else. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simmo said:

can't wait for the crisp frosty mornings.  Getting out on the golf course and seeing the clear blue skies and frost covered fairways is invigorating.  A flask of hot baileys to loosen the swing also helps. 

now you are talking simmo ...iam off the golf at the moment , because we joined a club ..and all of a sudden the craic disappeared ...i only go for a craic with the lads .

I have to say , I have played golf in oz , the u.s , France and Spain ...and generally our courses are much better ...and that's an honest answer .

the natural water supply and the scenery , are what makes it .

the courses are naturally green ....and like yourself we are spoilt around here ...the belfry , the Warwickshire and at least 30 other courses I could name

I have been crap on most of them ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

now you are talking simmo ...iam off the golf at the moment , because we joined a club ..and all of a sudden the craic disappeared ...i only go for a craic with the lads .

I have to say , I have played golf in oz , the u.s , France and Spain ...and generally our courses are much better ...and that's an honest answer .

the natural water supply and the scenery , are what makes it .

the courses are naturally green ....and like yourself we are spoilt around here ...the belfry , the Warwickshire and at least 30 other courses I could name

I have been crap on most of them ?

I've ummed and arhed about joining a club for ages but haven't joined any because its nice to be able to stick a pin in the map and play where ever you like.  Not bothered about handicaps or club functions.  The parkland courses look amazing this time of year, the only downside is the leaves eating the balls where TF do they go? (squirrels?) . 

23 minutes ago, simmo said:

I've ummed and arhed about joining a club for ages but haven't joined any because its nice to be able to stick a pin in the map and play where ever you like.  Not bothered about handicaps or club functions.  The parkland courses look amazing this time of year, the only downside is the leaves eating the balls where TF do they go? (squirrels?) . 

??...in the trees ?..or out of bounds ??