The weather ?

bristolman

I took this yesterday, when the kids and I were having a walk, it's about 20 minutes walk from our house.  We had a longer walk today, but still partially up the side of the river, and it was absolutely gorgeous!  We saw a deer in the woods we walk through too.

IMG_3580.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Can't believe the weather we are getting. It has been hot and sunny now for days. We haven't had even a shower for over two weeks and never seen the river levels so low. Having to take the little one for his walk later due to the heat! 

It's been gorgeous, hasn't it!  Eldest daughter has gone on an outward bounds residential with school, and they can't believe their luck!  I actually felt too hot at times earlier, no idea how I managed in Australia!

13 hours ago, LKC said:

It's been gorgeous, hasn't it!  Eldest daughter has gone on an outward bounds residential with school, and they can't believe their luck!  I actually felt too hot at times earlier, no idea how I managed in Australia!

Ten to six in the morning here and glorious again. One of the funny things is the little one. He is half bald and in Oz, his skin was black, which we thought was normal for him. Then, when we moved back, it went pink. Turns out it was just a sort of deep tan. Now it is gowing black again! 

I woke up at about 5.30 to quite a thick fog, presumably from the river which is maybe 500m away.  It's starting to thin out now, and the Met Office is telling me it is going to be beautiful.  The forecast is even better up where eldest is, I hope she remembers to put her sunscreen on.  They're raft building, swimming in the lake and orienteering, amongst other things today!

On 31 May 2018 at 23:54, Sandgroper said:

Stay safe those that will be affected even more of the wet stuff on the way ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-latest-forecast-rain-storms-hail-travel-roads-a8377691.html

I know it's not an exact science but we were on Amber Alert, reading warnings of flash floods, potential threat to life, widespread and prolonged thunderstorms......and I was really starting to worry. So I took notice of the the warning that there might be disruption to power supplies and found the torches and bottled water. Going to bed I also left clothes handy incase we had to take some sort of action to protect our property or help neighbours in the small hours, and I fully expected  a sleepless night due to the predicted storm, thunder and lightening. However we had a bit of rain. Not continuous, not overly heavy and certainly no thunder or lightening. 

To be fair other parts of the country suffered far worse, and the day before there had been loss of life due to a car being caught up in a flash flood,so I am not really complaining as such. But I think i might be just a little less concerned the next time we have an Amber Warning and that's not necessarily a good thing. T x 

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:54, Sandgroper said:

Stay safe those that will be affected even more of the wet stuff on the way ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-weather-latest-forecast-rain-storms-hail-travel-roads-a8377691.html

you shouldn't read too much into these paper reports ....e had some flash flooding I Wythall and Wolverhampton last weekend .

more heat ...more rain ...generally

fantastic early summer so far ....way above month average .

its lovely and green as well ...all good ?

We had a yellow alert for Friday and Saturday. Friday we got a bit of rain, but hardly any. Moderate for maybe 20 minutes. Not even enough to give the garden a decent watering. Yesterday, was the first time we had proper rain, though it was stupidly hot first and incredibly humid. Then it rained decently for about an hour. Then drizzled for most of the day. So, certainly nothing severe.  Just about enough to give the garden a drink which it desperately needed as we haven't had rain for weeks. 

36 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

We had a yellow alert for Friday and Saturday. Friday we got a bit of rain, but hardly any. Moderate for maybe 20 minutes. Not even enough to give the garden a decent watering. Yesterday, was the first time we had proper rain, though it was stupidly hot first and incredibly humid. Then it rained decently for about an hour. Then drizzled for most of the day. So, certainly nothing severe.  Just about enough to give the garden a drink which it desperately needed as we haven't had rain for weeks. 

My  sister and sister in law both said how humid it was.   I'll always remember the clouds of midges in Scotland in the muggy weather.

10 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

sun/shade Sunday ...a month of this to come ...apparently.

so much for the rain?

WP_20180603_16_02_21_Pro.jpg

WP_20180603_16_07_16_Pro.jpg

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:03, bristolman said:

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:03, bristolman said:

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

WP_20180611_13_23_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20180611_13_23_24_Pro.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If you

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:34, starlight7 said:

Oh ,come on, the weather in the UK is dire most of the time.  The place has many, many good attributes but not the weather.  Never that. I guess it will be one of the few countries to benefit from global warming though.

if you like warm weather ...it is certainly that ....a record breaker into July for the u.k ...records broken daily