The weather ?

bristolman

A lot depends on what you prefer.  My mum complains it’s too hot if the temperature is over 20C whereas I’m still in a cardigan and it’s 24C here at the moment.  I’ve never had an issue with the weather in either country although I do love the hot, dry summers here in Adelaide.  I do find the winters can be a bit wet some years though, not that it stops me going out.  I never minded the weather in the UK either, even in the two winters we had when we got snowed in and the temps didn’t get above zero for days on end.  (Winters have been mild ever since - probably thanks to us moving).  Our main issues were my youngest son used to refuse to wear a coat so we couldn’t spend any length of time outside if it was cold or wet and my OH suffers from SAD which has nothing to do with the weather and is purely about the levels of light 

• Like 2

That old chestnut - the weather.  :P  

The weather never bothered me that much in the UK and it never bothered me that much here either.   Here in Tassie during winter in can be cold and rainy but I get out in it every day - just like I did in the UK.  The summers here are lovely.  Not too hot and not much rain.  I think last summer we had one day when it reached 30C.  The best thing for me is it cools down at night. I hated those hot, sticky nights in Sydney.  Some people love snow.  I don't - mainly because I had to work out in it and it was miserable especially when it part thawed then froze again - horrid!   We all have nothing to complain about - try India just before monsoon - over 40C and extreme humidity or  the USA with it's world's wildest weather extremes.  No other part of the planet can boast its ferocious weather mix of hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, floods, wildfires, blizzards, heatwaves and cold snaps.  Compared to that both the UK and Australia are lucky weather-wise.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I bought a lovely thick velour dressing gown last week. Put it on that evening and realised it was way too warm for a house with central heating, would have been perfect for the Sydney winter ?

I can never understand how people go on about houses in Australia in the winter.  If you own the house it's up to you to fix it up comfortably.  Our first home in the UK was an old terrace house with single glazing no central heating blah blah blah so we renovated it to make it comfortable.  It's not that hard to do the same here.  We did that to the house we built in Perth and the ones we had in Sydney and the one we have here is cosy in the winter too.

• Like 3

This thread reminded me of how our comfort levels or perhaps what is the 'norm' has changed.

i worked for an airline in the 1960's. For an early shift I left an unheated house at 0530,  definitely very cold in winter we are talking ice inside the windows, walked down a deserted road to catch the first bus out of the depot to start work at 0615, That's how it was then.

Fast forward nearly 40 years later, my son now working for an airline, pops out of a centrally heated house, starts up the engine of his car to warm it up, goes back in to have a coffee, then drives to work, he actually moaned to me how tough an early shift was.

I put him in his place!!!!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, bristolman said:

That's exactly my point, the weather is far from dire, not even close to dire. I'm not saying the weather is one of its positive attributes, I'm saying it's not close to as bad as some would say. 

It's the main reason we left.

I've seen people who don't like sun, heat, humidity and the beach write on this forum about not being able to go out the house  'cos it's too hot. Personally never had a problem with the heat.

Conversely when I was in the UK I wouldn't stay in because it was cold and wet either. Always out doing something.

It's a pretty sad statement to say either climate would stop you doing anything.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Taff said:

One of my main reasons for moving back to Blighty is the variety of weather we get there. I love the winds, rains, and storms.

I find the weather in Aus bland.

What?  All over Australia  .................  you'd get plenty of wind, rain, storms, snow and yes plenty of sun too in Tasmania.

13 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I much prefer the weather over here in Australia , spent far too many cold winters on a construction site 

As others have said it never stopped me from doing hobbies and getting out and about  when I lived in the U.K. , 

My OH worked on construction sites in the UK (Liverpool and London) and got fed up of the cold and damp in winter.   Now with central heating etc office workers have no idea how bad it can be if you have a job which requires you to work outside in the winter.  I spent many a day and sometimes nights trudging around farms with vets in foul weather.  Just as well I loved my job!  Dad was a farmer in Scotland so was outdoors all the time in all weather.  I remember the skin on his hands splitting open in the winter.  Any other time of the year was grand though.  @bunbury61 says the weather in winter is much milder than it used to be which must make a difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toots said:

My OH worked on construction sites in the UK (Liverpool and London) and got fed up of the cold and damp in winter.   Now with central heating etc office workers have no idea how bad it can be if you have a job which requires you to work outside in the winter.  I spent many a day and sometimes nights trudging around farms with vets in foul weather.  Just as well I loved my job!  Dad was a farmer in Scotland so was outdoors all the time in all weather.  I remember the skin on his hands splitting open in the winter.  Any other time of the year was grand though.  @bunbury61 says the weather in winter is much milder than it used to be which must make a difference.

Yes winters have become more mild , was working on a job a point of Ayer coal mine where the sea froze it was -23 every day for about 6 weeks the saying " chiled  to the bone " was very true , I suffer with my knees and arm joints now but warm weather certainly helps 

4 hours ago, Toots said:

What?  All over Australia  .................  you'd get plenty of wind, rain, storms, snow and yes plenty of sun too in Tasmania.

Fair comment. In the main though, in the parts of Aus I have experienced over the past 16 years,  wind, rain, storms, snow, all tend to be short lived, if intense, and then long periods of blue sky, sunshine,  and bland hot weather is the norm.

2 minutes ago, Taff said:

Fair comment. In the main though, in the parts of Aus I have experienced over the past 16 years,  wind, rain, storms, snow, all tend to be short lived, if intense, and then long periods of blue sky, sunshine,  and bland hot weather is the norm.

Yes I agree about all that apart from the snow when I lived in Sydney.  Tassie climate is similar to the UK with four distinct seasons and for such a small place the weather can vary from area to area which I found surprising.

30 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

I miss the sun but not the heat or the rain. I am a runner so the UK climate is much better for that. Had to run in a gym in Sydney as it was too hot but here I can run outside which is much nicer. 

I used to run when younger but did not like to run in the dark so, apart from some weekends my running was in a gym in the dark months November to March.

I could have run all year round here though admittedly it would have to have been very early in the morning from October to April.

29 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I used to run when younger but did not like to run in the dark so, apart from some weekends my running was in a gym in the dark months November to March.

I could have run all year round here though admittedly it would have to have been very early in the morning from October to April.

Early mornings are for sleeping! 

22 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Oh ,come on, the weather in the UK is dire most of the time.  The place has many, many good attributes but not the weather.  Never that. I guess it will be one of the few countries to benefit from global warming though.

Dont agree, after living in south africa and oz, I found oz has very hot weather that could become unbearable and getting worse as time goes on, oz has a lot of rain more than most english cities. I love the 4 seasons in the UK and temperate climate, never to hot or to cold....I meet people from oz in my job and they all seem to love the British weather and say I wish it was this nice back home.

The Healthiest Weight Might Actually Be 'Overweight', Massive Study Finds

A study spanning almost four decades and involving more than 100,000 adults in Denmark has found that those with an ‘overweight' body mass index (or BMI) were more likely to live longer than those in the 'healthy', 'underweight', and 'obese' categories. 

The results bring into question one of the fundamental assumptions we have about our health right now - that a 'healthy' BMI equals a longer life. And it’s not the first time - a number of studies in the past have found that packing on a few extra pounds might not be so bad after all.

Before we go into any of the details, these results are definitely not an excuse to cancel your gym membership and have ice cream for breakfast. No one’s arguing that forgoing exercise and eating crap is your best shot at living a long, happy life. (Damn.)

What these results are suggesting is that we might need to rethink our definition of what the term "overweight" actually means.

The study, led by clinical biochemist Børge Nordestgaard from Copenhagen University Hospital, analysed the medical data of more than 100,000 adults in Denmark, recruited in three groups about 15 years apart.

They found that during the four decades of analysis - from 1976 to 2013 - the BMI associated with lowest risk of death increased from 23.7 to 27.

If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9, you're considered normal or 'healthy', and if your BMI is between 25 and 29.9, you’re considered 'overweight'. A BMI of 30 or more is classified as 'obese'. 

The study also found that those in the 'obese' category ended up having the same risk of death as those in the 'normal' range, even when factors such as age, sex, family history of disease, socio-economic status, and smoking were taken into account.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-healthiest-weight-might-actually-be-overweight-massive-study-finds

When we emigrated the weather was definitely a factor.  We were sat up in bed one morning frozen stiff with no electricity ( bad government at the time) and decided that was IT- we were leaving. That plus the fact that we were struggling financially at the time and couldn't afford shoes for the kids even though we were both tertiary educated and had 'good' jobs. It wasn't exactly Shangri-la here but it was many degrees better for us and so it continues.  Horses for courses.

I can tell right now that this thread will probably trail on for at least 20 pages.  B| It's not that difficult to grasp the fact that we all like different sorts of weather.  Some like it hot and some not.  Then of course it will all end up as a Australia v UK thread.  :eek:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

The Healthiest Weight Might Actually Be 'Overweight', Massive Study Finds

A study spanning almost four decades and involving more than 100,000 adults in Denmark has found that those with an ‘overweight' body mass index (or BMI) were more likely to live longer than those in the 'healthy', 'underweight', and 'obese' categories. 

The results bring into question one of the fundamental assumptions we have about our health right now - that a 'healthy' BMI equals a longer life. And it’s not the first time - a number of studies in the past have found that packing on a few extra pounds might not be so bad after all.

Before we go into any of the details, these results are definitely not an excuse to cancel your gym membership and have ice cream for breakfast. No one’s arguing that forgoing exercise and eating crap is your best shot at living a long, happy life. (Damn.)

What these results are suggesting is that we might need to rethink our definition of what the term "overweight" actually means.

The study, led by clinical biochemist Børge Nordestgaard from Copenhagen University Hospital, analysed the medical data of more than 100,000 adults in Denmark, recruited in three groups about 15 years apart.

They found that during the four decades of analysis - from 1976 to 2013 - the BMI associated with lowest risk of death increased from 23.7 to 27.

If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9, you're considered normal or 'healthy', and if your BMI is between 25 and 29.9, you’re considered 'overweight'. A BMI of 30 or more is classified as 'obese'. 

The study also found that those in the 'obese' category ended up having the same risk of death as those in the 'normal' range, even when factors such as age, sex, family history of disease, socio-economic status, and smoking were taken into account.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-healthiest-weight-might-actually-be-overweight-massive-study-finds

Wrong thread.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I can tell right now that this thread will probably trail on for at least 20 pages.  B| It's not that difficult to grasp the fact that we all like different sorts of weather.  Some like it hot and some not.  Then of course it will all end up as a Australia v UK thread.  :eek:

toots - I prefer a blue sky ...i don't particularly like the cold ..BUT some of the best days at work I have ever had ,have been on cold , snow covered crystal clear days ....

its the grey pallet in winter that pisses me off in the u.k ...it doesn't get that cold now ...fingers crossed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

When we emigrated the weather was definitely a factor.  We were sat up in bed one morning frozen stiff with no electricity ( bad government at the time) and decided that was IT- we were leaving. That plus the fact that we were struggling financially at the time and couldn't afford shoes for the kids even though we were both tertiary educated and had 'good' jobs. It wasn't exactly Shangri-la here but it was many degrees better for us and so it continues.  Horses for courses.

good on ya starlight