The weather ?

bristolman

Something that occured to me this morning, I have noticed over the years people saying how they dont miss the grey dreary days and how winter seemed to go on forever, it just really isnt like that now, more often than not the days are clear. Even I recall those winters back when i was finishing my schooling over here but its just so different now. Just an observation ?

49 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Something that occured to me this morning, I have noticed over the years people saying how they dont miss the grey dreary days and how winter seemed to go on forever, it just really isnt like that now, more often than not the days are clear. Even I recall those winters back when i was finishing my schooling over here but its just so different now. Just an observation ?

Bristol ...i have bored everyone to tears with this ....i wouldn't comment on the grey dreary skys ...BUT ...how often is it really windy now ?....that chill used to rip your face off in the winter ....it was about 8c yesterday afternoon ...i came out of the job I was on with no coat on ...not because it was warm or anything , but because there was no biting wind ....long may it continue

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Bristol ...i have bored everyone to tears with this ....i wouldn't comment on the grey dreary skys ...BUT ...how often is it really windy now ?....that chill used to rip your face off in the winter ....it was about 8c yesterday afternoon ...i came out of the job I was on with no coat on ...not because it was warm or anything , but because there was no biting wind ....long may it continue

Yes exactly, its changed so much its almost unrecognisable as the same place. 

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

It was blooming windy here today.  Walked to the local shops with the eldest and without the wind, even though it was only about 3C it didn’t feel too bad outside - was gorgeous and sunny with clear blue skies.  But there was an icy wind at times that chilled the bones.  Really noticed it because we are not particularly well set up for really cold weather but figured we’d cope for the couple of weeks we are here.

10 hours ago, bristolman said:

See, that worries me. The warming, seasons changing, winters no longer as cold or a long as they used to be, they are wetter and warmer. Changing over such a short space of time isn't a good thing. It hasn't allowed nature or wildlife to adapt properly and there are problems. Be it from migration seasons changing to flowers that should come out in spring now flowering in the new year. 

I don't see milder shorter winters as something to chirp about as being a plus point for the UK tbh.

11 hours ago, bristolman said:

Climate change is real.  You are right though.  When I was a child I remember that almost all the leaves had fallen by bonfire night.  Now they don’t all fall until December. Crocuses, daffodils etc appear earlier too.  An actual hurricane arrived in Ireland a few months ago I understand which is a long way north for a hurricane.

This may be making life more bearable for people in northern Europe in the winters but it is a major concern for the planet.  View what is happening in California now where wildfires have been raging off and on for months now with lives lost and property wiped out.

1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Climate change is real.  You are right though.  When I was a child I remember that almost all the leaves had fallen by bonfire night.  Now they don’t all fall until December. Crocuses, daffodils etc appear earlier too.  An actual hurricane arrived in Ireland a few months ago I understand which is a long way north for a hurricane.

This may be making life more bearable for people in northern Europe in the winters but it is a major concern for the planet.  View what is happening in California now where wildfires have been raging off and on for months now with lives lost and property wiped out.

Of course climate change is a real thing. 

The world is warming up, and it’s having devastating impacts on ecosystems. Among those areas feeling the heat is the Arctic, which has lost an average of 20,800 square miles of ice every year since the late 1970s. This year, the sea ice extent in this region was the sixth lowest on record.

These losses dramatically change Arctic marine ecosystems, making marine mammals particularly susceptible to the effects of rising temperatures. Polar bears, in particular, are very sensitive to losses in sea ice because it serves as a platform for hunting seals and mating. If they can’t get enough food in their bellies, they won’t have sufficient energy reserves to survive the lean months. Furthermore, climate change may mean that some seal habitats are no longer viable, further reducing the availability of food.

7 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

snow in most places rally ....in saying that , I spike to someone in Kent yesterday , they hadn't seen anything

I believe so , kinda miss it in a way especially at this time of year , but quite happy here in the Hunter a very pleasant 25 today with a light breeze 

9 hours ago, snifter said:

See, that worries me. The warming, seasons changing, winters no longer as cold or a long as they used to be, they are wetter and warmer. Changing over such a short space of time isn't a good thing. It hasn't allowed nature or wildlife to adapt properly and there are problems. Be it from migration seasons changing to flowers that should come out in spring now flowering in the new year. 

I don't see milder shorter winters as something to chirp about as being a plus point for the UK tbh.

Well what would you have people do ? If winters are milder and shorter do you expect people to say its awful, I really wish the winter was longer and harsher ? 

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

snow in most places rally ....in saying that , I spike to someone in Kent yesterday , they hadn't seen anything

We had snow for about 5 minutes lol. I was actually really disappointed, we could see it on the hills but virtually nothing here at all. It started coming down quite heavily but then the sun came out and all gone. 

Edited by bristolman

It came down quite heavily in Birmingham from what my mum and grandma said, but we've not even had a single flake in our bit of Scotland.  I believe that there is plenty in the areas around where we are, and I can see some on the hills out the front of our house, but we are right on the western edge of Fife, which seems to have a climate of its own.  The kids are quite disappointed!  We had a beautiful blue sky yesterday with very few clouds, but today there are some clouds around.  They keep asking if they're snow clouds, but they aren't!

Drove home last night from Lichfield. About an hour north of Lichfield it snowed hard enough that on the salted M6 on a busy Friday 5:30pm, it was laying! 

Back in Scotland there is none here at home! Well, a few patches, but it seems Thursday was mild and very wet which melted what was there. Today blue sky, sun, though cold - got to 1c today and expecting -6 tonight. Same tomorrow. 

It has been glorious sunshine and blue sky all day here. But very cold. This morning at 11am it was -7. I don't know what it got down to overnight but when I went to de ice the car my can of de icer, which I leave in the car had partially frozen! 

But an amazing day walking through the park with the grass white as snow. 

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:42, LKC said:

It came down quite heavily in Birmingham from what my mum and grandma said, but we've not even had a single flake in our bit of Scotland.  I believe that there is plenty in the areas around where we are, and I can see some on the hills out the front of our house, but we are right on the western edge of Fife, which seems to have a climate of its own.  The kids are quite disappointed!  We had a beautiful blue sky yesterday with very few clouds, but today there are some clouds around.  They keep asking if they're snow clouds, but they aren't!

isn't that western side of Scotland ,positively influenced by the jet stream ...no honestly .

don't they grow palm trees in certain parts of the west coast ?

12 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

It has been glorious sunshine and blue sky all day here. But very cold. This morning at 11am it was -7. I don't know what it got down to overnight but when I went to de ice the car my can of de icer, which I leave in the car had partially frozen! 

But an amazing day walking through the park with the grass white as snow. 

my wife loves it ...snow , cold , dark nights , Christmas , rugged up in front of the Tele ?

they do say opposites attract ?

12 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

my wife loves it ...snow , cold , dark nights , Christmas , rugged up in front of the Tele ?

they do say opposites attract ?

The way I look at it is the 'worst' of it only lasts a couple of months, then the days get longer, its spring and summer is on the way. Its only 10 days until the days start to get longer. 

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

isn't that western side of Scotland ,positively influenced by the jet stream ...no honestly .

don't they grow palm trees in certain parts of the west coast ?

Yes there are palm trees in Logan gardens in south west Scotland.  Maybe other areas as well - I'm not sure.  As long as they are sheltered from the wind they seem to do fine.