The weather ?

bristolman

The UK has a temperate climate and unpredictable weather. How much that affects you on a day to day basis is down to the individual I guess, so maybe the UK weather system does cause some posters to hibernate for up to 7 months of the year. I think it a bit sad though as it seems to be a personal choice rather than a necessity. Most people I know are pretty happy to just get on with things. It may require a different outfit, taking the car rather than walking, devising a Plan B incase Plan A goes pear shaped….but very rarely does it mean a boring life with nothing to do other than argue about who will turn up the central heating thermostat xD! Tx

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tea4too said:

The UK has a temperate climate and unpredictable weather. How much that affects you on a day to day basis is down to the individual I guess, so maybe the UK weather system does cause some posters to hibernate for up to 7 months of the year. I think it a bit sad though as it seems to be a personal choice rather than a necessity. Most people I know are pretty happy to just get on with things. It may require a different outfit, taking the car rather than walking, devising a Plan B incase Plan A goes pear shaped….but very rarely does it mean a boring life with nothing to do other than argue about who will turn up the central heating thermostat xD! Tx

Scandinavian countries always top the lists of happy people...go figure 

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

I walked into town today and had to take my light cardigan off, it was too hot - and my track pants, lightly fleecy were too hot I would have ripped them off if I’d have had some shorts to replace them with! 

Actual people in shorts around Stratford today....mental weather 

18 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I miss the sun but not the heat or the rain. I am a runner so the UK climate is much better for that. Had to run in a gym in Sydney as it was too hot but here I can run outside which is much nicer. 

That's strange. I've spent lots of time working in Sydney at all times of the year and have never found it too hot to run. We used to stay in Potts Point and I  used to do the run through the botanic gardens to the Opera House and back. In winter it can be pretty cool and windy.

Another great run is the coastal track from Bondi towards Tamarama. Some fantastic scenery for running.

Dont agree, after living in south africa and oz, I found oz has very hot weather that could become unbearable and getting worse as time goes on, oz has a lot of rain more than most english cities. I love the 4 seasons in the UK and temperate climate, never to hot or to cold....I meet people from oz in my job and they all seem to love the British weather and say I wish it was this nice back home.

Just remind us how many months you lived in Perth for, PB?

The UK weather ain't the best but that all depends on your definition and needs of course.

I can factually say, though, that at least the sun in the UK has much less chance of killing you than in Australia! Especially QLD, which has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. As an owner of multiple covertibles over the years - which have been extremely enjoyable I might add - my next car will certainly be a fixed roof. 

Also, many appear not to know that incidence of pterygiums is high in Australia as well (again, esp QLD). If you are wondering what a pterygium is, it's basically flesh that forms over the eye as the body's natural response to protect it from constant, excessive UV exposure. You may have noticed people with this condition especially in areas of the world that are exposed to high UV indexes and where people tend to work/spend time outside. It needs to be surgically removed in those affected by an opthamologist. 

I really urge people to remember to use sunscreen (and use it properly!) & cover up where possible when enjoying the fantastic (generally) weather in Australia.

For me personally:

Winter vs winter - Australia definitely superior.

Summer vs summer - England is more enjoyable.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's strange. I've spent lots of time working in Sydney at all times of the year and have never found it too hot to run. We used to stay in Potts Point and I  used to do the run through the botanic gardens to the Opera House and back. In winter it can be pretty cool and windy.

Another great run is the coastal track from Bondi towards Tamarama. Some fantastic scenery for running.

Not a morning person and by 10 am it was often 25c plus. Love the Bondi coastal path and Taronga to Manly and Manly to Palm Beach are also awesome coastal paths all of which I walked.

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Cold is not really an issue for going out as you can rug up.

If it is drizzling rain for months on end that can get a bit depressing if you never see the sun.

Thank god it never does......beautiful blue skies again today, even wearing my shorts again.

As a bit of a side track, how do those Northern Scandinavians cope with almost 24 hour darkness in winter?  We went over there in Summer and it never got dark which was very weird ( a good experience but not sure I could live with it every year) One of my daughters lived in the north of Norway for a while and she said they all drank like fishes in winter but seemed happy enough in general.

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

As a bit of a side track, how do those Northern Scandinavians cope with almost 24 hour darkness in winter?  We went over there in Summer and it never got dark which was very weird ( a good experience but not sure I could live with it every year) One of my daughters lived in the north of Norway for a while and she said they all drank like fishes in winter but seemed happy enough in general.

Vodka as far as I can work out and saunas. They are common place in Finnish houses.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

A couple of years ago I was working in Sweden 150km north of the arctic circle. It wasn't constant darkness when I arrived, but we only had an hour or two of light. The people generally preferred winter to summer. In winter, they can do the winter sports they love, while summer means mosquitos.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

A couple of years ago I was working in Sweden 150km north of the arctic circle. It wasn't constant darkness when I arrived, but we only had an hour or two of light. The people generally preferred winter to summer. In winter, they can do the winter sports they love, while summer means mosquitos.

Err what sports? Ice hockey? It's too flat to ski isn't it?