Storing boxes 'outside'? Is this foolish?

Hi

So our boxes have arrived. We are only renting so will be moving in about 7 months (not going to request to extend lease). We're not going to unpack absolutely everything however don't have the room to store it all in this rental. We have a garage that has a roof, two walls and the roller door. The other end of the garage has a wall built half the height of the other walls so quite a bit of access to the elements.

Does anyone have experience with storing boxes practically outside? We can keep them to the side of the garage where there is a roller door and walls, however, the rain does come in via the other wall (not flooding and not reaching the roller door end). So the boxes should stay dry. However, coupled with humidity and the fact bugs etc. can access our garage I wondered if this was is foolish to even consider this? The boxes have books, paintings and other associated household products.

Edited by Guest

I wouldnt store books and stuff in cardboard boxes, Silverfish love cardboard and destroy paper, cardboard etc.  If you want to store the stuff in the garage better off buying some big plastic tubs. 

Edited by AJ
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, AJ said:

I wouldnt store books and stuff in cardboard boxes, Silverfish love cardboard and destroy paper, cardboard etc.  If you want to store the stuff in the garage better off buying some big plastic tubs. 

Thanks. We'll buy some plastic tubs. Insects aside, would the humidity damage anything?

Just ensure that whatever you store them in has a tight seal and cockroaches can't get in.  We left books in the packing boxes that they were shipped in and put them in the garage for storage, needless to say when they were opened they were covered in cockroach poo and some of them were ruined and had to be disposed of (I did ask hubby if he needed to bring all his sci-fi books....!).  Anything else we left in the garage we made sure that all the seals to the boxes were taped back down so there were no access points.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, princessoz said:

Just ensure that whatever you store them in has a tight seal and cockroaches can't get in.  We left books in the packing boxes that they were shipped in and put them in the garage for storage, needless to say when they were opened they were covered in cockroach poo and some of them were ruined and had to be disposed of (I did ask hubby if he needed to bring all his sci-fi books....!).  Anything else we left in the garage we made sure that all the seals to the boxes were taped back down so there were no access points.

Thanks @princessoz for this, will definitely make sure the seals are tight or in a plastic lid that locks on tight. Absolutely HATE cockroaches!!