How long left on passport

MCFT80

Hi, 

Just wondering if anyone knows - I've been reading a few lists of things to do before you leave - we're (hopefully!) moving to Oz in January pending visa approval - will be getting 457 (or are the new ones called a different name?) via my husbands work - and the lists all say make sure you have 2 years left on your passport. Is that a requirement for the visas? I can get a new one fairly easily if necessary but was planning on applying for a new passport in my married name when it expires (which would take significantly longer and most likely would ruin our plans). Do I need to have several years left on my current passport or can I get a visa and enter on this one (will have 7 months left) and then sort any name change etc once I'm there? 

Just to clarify, if I apply for a renewal here I'll have to apply in my maiden name in order for it to arrive in time. 

Hope somebody has an idea about this!

thanks! 

Thanks, unfortunately it’s an Irish passport which takes ages to renew - they have online renewal which is much faster but can’t use this when changing details and they only offer express appointments for genuine emergencies (death in the family etc) and proof of travel.