You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Charlie R

Moving to Sydney with a 15 month old and a 3 year old - confused about school and childcare

My husband has the opportunity to get a job in Sydney and i always said it was the one place i would go... so here we are considering shipping our little family early next year which is rather daunting. My son is 3 (29th May 2014) so i presume he won't be starting school for a while which seems odd as he seems school ready here but that might just be because of the nursery/pre-school he is at here. And my daughter currently does 2 days at a nursery. We're thinking we'll live there for a few years and then return to the UK but i worry about my son being behind in terms of education when we come back because of starting school so much later in Oz. Has anyone found this? and when would he actually start school? I presume we're not entitled to any sort of funding like you get in the UK with the 15 hours. Is there the opportunity for them both to do morning child care on a few days a week? We're look at living in the suburbs around Manly which i presume we need to secure first before even looking at child care places. Thank you for any advice - feeling totally clueless and rather daunted by the prospect! 

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

One assumes you will be going on a 457 Visa in which case you will be entitled to very little and when your little lad is eligible for school - potentially January 2019 but you will probably be advised to wait until January 2020 - you will have to pay $5,000 pa (at 2017 rates) for his schooling. You won’t be entitled to any child care benefits and you will have to pay for preschool sessions. (The cut off in NSW is 31 July but they suggest you hold back kids with birthdays after about March)

When you return he will probably be quite significantly behind his UK peers but UK schools have reportedly been good at helping kids catch up.

You will probably be able to get sessional child care - it’s of the order $110-130 per day depending on the centre and the area. 

I wouldn’t worry about him being behind when you come back (if you do). If he’s 3 now and you spend a couple of years in oz you’ll be coming back when he’s 5? So he’ll have hardly missed anything. We start kids far too young in school in the uk, enjoy the extra time you have with him, your adventure in oz will be worth a million school days here

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By MrsWayLay17
        We're looking to settle in Hervey Bay. Originally being from Brisbane I can't envisage us living back in a big city.  Does anyone have any links with HB and know if it would be well suited for a family of four with their children of Primary school age.  What is the employment scenario like there? I've looked online and that's been helpful but I was hoping some of you would be able to give their insight.  

Are there any areas around HB (Not Maryborough) that you think is worth checking out? Keen to go anywhere from Bribie Island area right up towards Bundy but not quite as far as that! HB preferable. 
      • By Sue Cash
        Hi, I moved to Sydney (from London) 13 years ago and have finally had enough of the rat race.
        I'm moving with my family to the Sunshine Coast and looking for advice about the best locations for beaches, shops, schools etc
        My 2 boys have special needs and one will need to go to a special school - it appears that Nambour and Currimundi are the only options.
        My other boy has mild autism so I'm hoping to find a location that is best placed for him i.e. Primary schools that have a good reputation for helping kids on the spectrum and plenty of local therapists.
        If you have kids with special needs and live in the Sunshine Coast, I'd love to hear your thoughts and advice on our move to the Sunny Coast.
        Thanks
        Sue
      • By The Pom Queen

Special Interest Schools:

Music 
        Brighton Secondary
        Fremont-Elizabeth City High
        Marryatville High
        Woodville High

Agriculture
        Urrbrae High

Languages
        Adelaide High

Ignite Programs for Gifted Students
        The Heights
        Glenunga International
        Aberfoyle Park High

Dance/Drama
        Charles Campbell Secondary
        Golden Grove High

Sports and Physical Education
        Wirreanda High
        Henley High
        Wirreanda also coordinates the Southern Vales Physical Education and Sports Program involving Christies Beach High (aquatics), Morphett Vale (cycling) and Reynella East High (basketball and hockey)
        In addition, eight secondary schools in conjunction with the respective state sporting associations, have established special interest sports programs:
        Seaton High (baseball)
        Pasadena High (Basketball)
        Blackwood High (Netball)
        Marryatville High (Tennis)
        Brighton High (Volleyball)
        Heathfield High (Volleyball)
        Mount Gambier High (Cricket, Football and Netball - NB Australian Football that is!)

Single Sex Schools
        Gepps Cross Girls High
        Mitcham Girls High

Vocational Colleges
        Windsor Gardens Vocational College
        Souther Vocational College (at Christies Beach High)

Australian Science and Mathematics School (enrols students in years 10,11,12)

These were listed in the Govt brochure: If anybody knows any more, perhaps add them and then we can buld up a good list.