Have we made a mistake of returning to the uk?!

Anna833

7 minutes ago, Bobths said:

Yep, came down with the flu on New Years Day, ill in bed just sleeping for a week, except for dragging myself into work one day as still on probation and not allowed any sick leave, then further week of feeling awful and now still coughing up bits of lung. 

You’d think I’d be tougher given I grew up on the West Pennine Moors but nope, acclimatising to Melbourne weather has forever ruined me! Our dog even hates the outdoors, literally have to carry her outside and down the street to persuade her to go for a walk otherwise she either won’t leave the house or plants her paws and refuses to go any further. 

Thanks for the offer of coffee, that’s very kind. 

Our Brisbane born Labrador loves going out here, he even loves jumping around in the odd bit of snow we get, he used to really suffer in the heat though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bristolman said:

Our Brisbane born Labrador loves going out here, he even loves jumping around in the odd bit of snow we get, he used to really suffer in the heat though. 

6 hours ago, simmo said:

I have had the jab ,so got away quite lightly ...my wife is laid up in bed right now .

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bristolman said:

surely the pommie weather , as shite as it is right now ?, has to better overall for pets ...its the coldest its been all winter right now ....but we have the hive system ....20c in the property ....16c at night when we are asleep ....the old dog is happy as Larry .

putting his coat on for his walks .....its just when its muddy, that it gets on my nerves

I bloody hate winter though ....quicker it warms up a bit , and this flu buggers off back to Australia , the better ?

5 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

surely the pommie weather , as shite as it is right now ?, has to better overall for pets ...its the coldest its been all winter right now ....but we have the hive system ....20c in the property ....16c at night when we are asleep ....the old dog is happy as Larry .

putting his coat on for his walks .....its just when its muddy, that it gets on my nerves

I bloody hate winter though ....quicker it warms up a bit , and this flu buggers off back to Australia , the better ?

Oh yes the British weather is much better overall for pets. Our dog would lie flat out on the tiles in the laundry for hour after hour. 

We live in a very old house but it us remarkably well insulated (much better since I have been working on it) so nicely warm with the log fire or gas central heating. 

I'm not bothered by the winter 3/4 of the time, the last few weeks have been rubbish but right up to Christmas no problem. 

Meanwhile, these are my two - black one is Aussie born, fawn is English - huddled round the stove. And yes, the stove was lit, and yes it was hot (just over 200 oC). We ended up having to put the fire guard back round it as the older dog was quite literally an inch away. 

9C193107-E88B-40C4-B569-D98EE4E5EBCF.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobths said:

Meanwhile, these are my two - black one is Aussie born, fawn is English - huddled round the stove. And yes, the stove was lit, and yes it was hot (just over 200 oC). We ended up having to put the fire guard back round it as the older dog was quite literally an inch away. 

9C193107-E88B-40C4-B569-D98EE4E5EBCF.jpeg

Yes our Aussie Labrador loves to lie in front of our log fire, not that close though lol. He warms up then moves away as ironically he's not a huge fan of the heat. 

9 hours ago, bristolman said:

Our first dog here in Australia was a labrador.  She was 5 when we got her from the RSPCA.  Lovely natured old girl.  Followed our boys around all day long outside.  She didn't like hot days but she had plenty of shade.  Our next dog was a cattle dog.  Tough old gal and the heat didn't bother her at all.  Our current dog a jack russell x staffie doesn't like the warmer weather - always heads for the shade but even on really cold winter days he still goes for a swim in the sea.  Brrrrr.

• Like 1

Funny reading all these posts. 

We probably spend just as much time indoors in front of the aircon as we did indoors in front of the central heating...a handful per year!

We do find though that bugs, colds, coughs etc hang around longer here (QLD) as theres no sharp frost to kill them off.

From my 30 years of living in the UK prior to moving here  5 years ago it literally used to be jan/feb that were a bit depressing. March was always promising with spring starting and things were ok through until about mid October but then theres bonfire night to look forward to and then obviously xmas.

We (and our kids) are sick to death of the having to put sunscreen on every day, twice daily before going out, a hat and scarf seems a much preferred option sometimes.

Weather wise we came from Suffolk which I believe is one of the driest and warmest places in the uk.

Each to their own!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wattsy1982 said:

We probably spend just as much time indoors in front of the aircon as we did indoors in front of the central heating...a handful per year!

We do find though that bugs, colds, coughs etc hang around longer here (QLD) as theres no sharp frost to kill them off.

From my 30 years of living in the UK prior to moving here  5 years ago it literally used to be jan/feb that were a bit depressing. March was always promising with spring starting and things were ok through until about mid October but then theres bonfire night to look forward to and then obviously xmas.

We (and our kids) are sick to death of the having to put sunscreen on every day, twice daily before going out, a hat and scarf seems a much preferred option sometimes.

Weather wise we came from Suffolk which I believe is one of the driest and warmest places in the uk.

Each to their own!

Suffolk is really nice.  I worked in Norfolk for a few months over the winter - hardly ever rained but got a lot of snow   ...............................  that particular winter anyway.

I've never lived in Queensland but even in NSW preferred to cover up than apply sunscreen.  Good hat and sunglasses plus comfy cotton clothes.  Do the same here.

10 hours ago, wattsy1982 said:

Each to their own!

Exactly, January and February are the crappy months and outside of that it is perfectly possible to do practically everything you want to outside. Actually today is beautiful again, blue sky, decent frost last night. You just get the impression that the country shuts down for 6-7months of the year which is ludicrous. 

• Like 1

That was one of my supposed UK pros - no more daily sunscreen application on the kids and no more sand everywhere. However after 6 months of muddy, smelly clothes & dogs, muddy floors and puddlesuits and having to throw clothes away cos the mud is so ingrained..... hand me the Nivea and thongs! ? 

5 minutes ago, Bobths said:

That was one of my supposed UK pros - no more daily sunscreen application on the kids and no more sand everywhere. However after 6 months of muddy, smelly clothes & dogs, muddy floors and puddlesuits and having to throw clothes away cos the mud is so ingrained..... hand me the Nivea and thongs! ? 

6 months ? Do you not find it odd that others living in the UK aren't having to plod throùgh mud for 6 months ? What I'm saying is that when you get it into your head that you are in the wrong place then everything becomes exaggerated and amplified. To make your time pass more quickly try to enjoy your time and look at things differently and not negatively. 

• Like 1

I’m normally a very positive person and optimistic but after feeling miserable for so long I gave up in November and went to see a doctor and she diagnosed me with depression so I’m on antidepressants. They help a lot but I do still get fixated on the negative stuff as I will admit. I experience a lot of mud as part and parcel of having a 2yo and 4yo whose favourite outdoor activity is splashing in puddles and squelching through mud. Sand just suddenly seems a lot easier to deal with in hindsight. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bristolman said:

6 months ? Do you not find it odd that others living in the UK aren't having to plod throùgh mud for 6 months ? What I'm saying is that when you get it into your head that you are in the wrong place then everything becomes exaggerated and amplified. To make your time pass more quickly try to enjoy your time and look at things differently and not negatively. 

Wow that sounds a bit rude, patronising and harsh, YOU may not see mud for 6 months of the year but it was quite normal where i grew up, yes growing up on a farm led to be outside a lot but Sept,Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb were quite muddy, (especially with the snow we often got in Feb) ,to the extent we had to rotate were the horses grazed to prevent them killing any grass completely. Then you get the rain in the months in between which also lead to more mud. 

Cal x

46 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Wow that sounds a bit rude, patronising and harsh, YOU may not see mud for 6 months of the year but it was quite normal where i grew up, yes growing up on a farm led to be outside a lot but Sept,Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb were quite muddy, (especially with the snow we often got in Feb) ,to the extent we had to rotate were the horses grazed to prevent them killing any grass completely. Then you get the rain in the months in between which also lead to more mud. 

Cal x

It's the same when I read some posts about how awful life is/was for them here in Australia  ..............  too hot, too expensive yadda yadda yadda  ..........................  well guess what, no matter where you live life isn't perfect.   Admittedly some people find life in the UK is near perfect same as some folk think life in Australia is near perfect and good on them but I've never found anywhere I've lived to be 'perfect'.  You can keep all your fun, trendy city places - life where there is hardly any people around would be near perfect for me but there would still be something I'd find to moan about.

Same as you Cal, I grew up on a farm and worked as a vet nurse until I was 25 with vets who were on farms just about every day.  Dealt with a lot of muck, mud, freezing cold weather in the winter.  Miserable cold rain and sleet.  Not much fun for the animals either.  Nobody needs to remind me how horrible it was at times.  Just as well I loved my job.  Unless you have had to work outside in all weather you don't understand just how hard it can be.  Most people saying it isn't that bad usually have an indoor job or a job where they knock off if it's raining or too cold to continue working outside.

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

That was one of my supposed UK pros - no more daily sunscreen application on the kids and no more sand everywhere. However after 6 months of muddy, smelly clothes & dogs, muddy floors and puddlesuits and having to throw clothes away cos the mud is so ingrained..... hand me the Nivea and thongs! [emoji23] 

I grew up and spent most of my life in the uk and never has issues with 6 months of muddy clothes. Had horses so used to dealing with mud....dressed and cared for my clothes and gear accordingly....We lived in Victoria initially when we moved to Australia. and found the weather including the fires (lived through black Saturday in Victoria) far worse than than the UK. Australia has an unforgiving and extreme climate. I have been in Australia for 13 years now (in Qld for 7) and can't wait to move back home...Everyone appreciates things differently.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MelT said:

I grew up and spent most of my life in the uk and never has issues with 6 months of muddy clothes. Had horses so used to dealing with mud....dressed and cared for my clothes and gear accordingly....We lived in Victoria initially when we moved to Australia. and found the weather including the fires (lived through black Saturday in Victoria) far worse than than the UK. Australia has an unforgiving and extreme climate. I have been in Australia for 13 years now (in Qld for 7) and can't wait to move back home...Everyone appreciates things differently.

I have horses here in Tassie and as there is no extreme weather here it's comfortable for them here all the year round.  The temperature rarely drops below zero at night here on the north west coast during the winter and reaches double digits in the daytime - frost is gone by 9:00am.  It doesn't get too hot either in the summer.  There are hedges and lots of trees for shade in the field on a warm day and they have a shelter and rugged up at night in the winter.  Lots of rain in the winter so wellies are the footwear of choice as the area round the gate gets really muddy.

7 hours ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

No, my post was none of those things. I pointed out my reasons for saying what I did, I think when someone is very unhappy they tend to see things differently and perhaps reality gets a little blurred. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bristolman said:

No, my post was none of those things. I pointed out my reasons for saying what I did, I think when someone is very unhappy they tend to see things differently and perhaps reality gets a little blurred. 

I think that is right. My loathing for Australia certainly was exacerbated because I was unhappy and trapped. In fact I’m looking forward to a month’s holiday there in April. It will be interesting to see whether the old black dog descends again but this time the DH and I are managing a trip back together so it might be better than past trips where we have had to go alone. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Quoll said:

I think that is right. My loathing for Australia certainly was exacerbated because I was unhappy and trapped. In fact I’m looking forward to a month’s holiday there in April. It will be interesting to see whether the old black dog descends again but this time the DH and I are managing a trip back together so it might be better than past trips where we have had to go alone. 

I never thought i'd hear you say that Quoll lol.  enjoy your time back in Aus with your DH

2 hours ago, bristolman said:

Indeed!  You see many, many posts on this forum from members who are unhappy or suffering from depression who just can't see anything positive about the place they are living in.  Must be awful for them.  

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:31, wattsy1982 said:

Each to their own!

the last week or so ,has en the worst of the winter .....lot of colds and flu about ?