WideonWide

License fees for swapping UK license to Oz

Swapping UK license for Oz license cost $60 for 1 year and $100+ for 2 years in SA. I guess it costs just $18 in Victoria, although not sure how long that would be valid for. 

anyone else with some info ?

ps :
    - you dont need to surrender UK license. 
    -  Those in Visitor visa/ Temp work visa ( 457 etc ) need not apply for Oz license. 

- Those in PR visa should apply within 3 months ( SA)

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Yup once again SA costs more!  I guess less people make up the pot. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

@WideonWide I'm sorry to tell you but it is definitely $79.50 for a 3 year one. I know they had a scheme for L/P plates under 25 where they could get a free license if their record was clean from demerit points.

I bet the $18 is just to talk to you, or for paying by card.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Just found it, and yes it's $18.20 to book an appointment with them to change it over. I can't believe they have started charging https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/licence-fees/driver-licence-and-learner-permit-fees

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Even though you don’t need to on a 457 can you still get an Australian license?
    I’m thinking it would be good for ID

Yes you can and yes I think it is of great benefit when using it for ID, that and your passport would give you over 100 points.

Hello

To add to this as its sort of related - do you need to change licences when you move to a different state?

I'll be living with the in-laws in Tas from Nov - Jan, then moving to Melbourne to get a place of our own and jobs.

What should I do about my UK licence and when?

Cheers!

Hi @unzippy I'm afraid you do. You have 3 months from leaving another state to change it over. If you aren't going to be residing in Tas for long I would wait until you get to Melbourne. 

16 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Just found it, and yes it's $18.20 to book an appointment with them to change it over. I can't believe they have started charging https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/licence-fees/driver-licence-and-learner-permit-fees

@The Pom Queen...omg, fees for getting an appointment. never heard that.  thanks. 
    still cheaper than SA though. 

On 13/10/2017 at 15:52, The Pom Queen said:

Hi @unzippy I'm afraid you do. You have 3 months from leaving another state to change it over. If you aren't going to be residing in Tas for long I would wait until you get to Melbourne. 

Amazing, what a waste of time and resources!  :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Warman_sarahlf
        Does anyone know if there's a time limit to arrive in the uk from when the visa is granted?

Did anyone ship their furniture before the visa outcome or after?
      • By Notions
        Hi 
        I've four years experience in London and want to move to Sydney in January, I would love to register before moving. 
        I seem to have difficulty registering before moving as I don't have the working with children cert. 
        has anyone been in this position before?
        Also is there teaching jobs in syndey?
      • By ZoeTaylor
        Hi all
        We are trying to think of the cheapest way to phone back from Oz to the UK when we get there and also for people to be able to get hold of us without it costing a fortune.  Hubby is thinking we should get a basic £5 per month SIM card that allows you to use your phone in Australia.  Not even sure these exist.  Googling is saying that a phone card with a landline is best.  Any advice gratefully received!
        Thanks.
        Zoe
      • By Coupleinoz
        Irish and English couple, aged 33 and 29. Living in Melbourne for 4 years, we both met out here 3 years ago. Recently applied and granted permanent residency.    Our plan was to stay for another 2 years to get citizenship and then move back home to get married and start a family. We would then have the flexibility to move back to Australia in our late 30's / early 40's (e.g. when the children are ready for school).    The complication for us is the recent change from 2 years to 4 years to apply for citizenship. It makes decisions about where and when to get married, buy a house and start a family a lot harder.    We are also struggling with getting good, unbiased advice (for example; family want us back home, friends in Australia want us to stay etc). A lot of peoples point of view doesn't go deeper than the immediate, emotional layer and we need to try and move beyond this.    We would like some thoughts on two options we are currently working through:   1. Move back to UK or Ireland within the next few months, with the plan to return within the 5 yr return visa allowed with permanent residency. During our time at home we would likely buy a house and get married (maybe have a child or wait until we get back to Australia - tbc!). On return, we would be settling in Australia and get our citizenship this route. We like this option as our preference is to spend our 30's back with close friends and family. There is obviously a risk with this option that we would not return (and most of our friends believe we won't).   2. We stay for the 4 years and get our citizenship (at this stage we would be 38 and 34). After we get our passport we would likely head back to UK / Ireland for a number of years. During the 4 years, we would want to get married, put our savings down (e.g. buy a house or shares) and maybe even have a child. We would likely organise the wedding from Australia but go back to get married in the UK. On the plus side, we are here now and we will get to citizenship quicker. On the downside, we won't be able to spend these important years with friends and family.    Overall, we only know life as a couple living in Australia (as we met here). So although we love it, we don't know what a life would be like living back in UK or Ireland. Add in buying a house, getting married and starting a family during this time - and the decision gets more complex!   Thoughts?! What else should we be thinking about to help our decision? 
      • By ausj
        Hello!
        Long time reader, first time poster. I have been researching visas for awhile and now it's getting closer to the time I need to make plans.  
        Our situation:
        I am an Australian citizen who has been in the UK on a working holiday visa which is set to expire in Feb 2018. It’s looking like it would be difficult for me to get a work visa in the UK for a few reasons. The main issues being that the company I work for is small, isn’t on the registered list of sponsors and the fact that the business needs to prove they’ve advertised the job for 2 months and can’t fill it locally. 
        This doesn’t bother me too much because I feel ready to move back to Australia. However, I can’t just think about myself as my boyfriend (UK citizen) is here. We are both in our 20s. We have only been together for a year but things are going well and we are planning a future together. He is open to the idea of moving to Aus (we’re going there later this year and I’m sure he’ll fall in love with it haha). FYI - We do not live together.
        It’s tricky timing as he’s just got a promotion at his job. He works for a large international company which may come in handy for us if they are willing to sponsor him. His qualifications/experience is in marketing, account management, sales and E-retail management.
        We have been looking at what Aus visa options there are for him and I’m wondering what would be best.
        Work visa – Does his experience qualify for a work visa after the changes to the skills list? Does a company need to sponsor him? Work sponsorship – Perhaps the Australian office of his company could sponsor his visa? Working Holiday visa – As he is under 30 it seems easiest to just get a working holiday visa to start with. However, it’s a real shame you can only work at a company for a maximum of 6 months. If he entered on a working holiday visa, started working at a company and they wanted to sponsor him after 5 months can he switch to another visa type? Partner – This doesn’t seem possible as we don’t live together yet I understand work visas don’t count towards eventual permanent residency, is that correct?
        There’s so much to think about with both our jobs, visas and moving that I have been getting a bit stressed by it but I’m trying to get the process started sooner rather than later. I appreciate any insight people have.