I might be able to come into possession of a Right Hand Drive 2003 VW Golf for free.

We leave Switzerland for Perth in December and I'm checking whether it would fit into our container.  The question is, would a it be worth our while?  We wouldn't have owned it for the "12 months" the Aussie authorities ask for, however the transaction would be free with the current owners, so how could they levy duties etc?

Would like to know people's thoughts on whether it's worthwhile pursuing or not.

Many thanks.

$_86.jpg

IELTS L:8.5 / R:8.0 / W:8.5 / S:9.0 ACS Assessment Submitted 17/09/13 | ACS Assessment Received - 09/12/2013 | EOI Submitted - 07/01/2014. ITA 12/01/14 Applied for 189 Visa 15/01/14 CO Assigned 12/02/14. 189 Visa Granted - 05/03/14.  Leaving Switzerland - 15/12/17.   Moving to Perth - 04/01/18.  

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

@Iron Chef would be the man to ask. Hopefully he will see this if not maybe drop him an email.

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

You must be able to prove you have owned and used the car for at least 12 months prior to departure. You must be able to show insurance documents covering that period. My personal opinion is that it isn't worth taking a 14 year old car. It really is only viable if it's a newish car or a classic vehicle. 

• Like 2

Part time insomniac.

Oh and the fact that it is free isn't relevant as they will import tax and duty on its book value. 

• Like 1

Part time insomniac.

To be honest, it may not be worth while. Although I have to say I loved our golf gti 

Have a look here an example is around $4,500 for the same car, obviously it depends on the model. http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2003-volkswagen-golf-sport-4th-gen-auto-my03/SPOT-ITM-286339

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Yeah just not worth it for a car of that value, especially with all the messing around at the other end. 

Part time insomniac.

The insurance, the value etc - It's all irrelevant.

You need to show the V5C and the date which you became the registered keeper (12 months or more ago).

As you can't, Aus won't let you import it.

Thanks all for your advice.  And I agree, the hassle and additional expense means it's not worth it.

IELTS L:8.5 / R:8.0 / W:8.5 / S:9.0 ACS Assessment Submitted 17/09/13 | ACS Assessment Received - 09/12/2013 | EOI Submitted - 07/01/2014. ITA 12/01/14 Applied for 189 Visa 15/01/14 CO Assigned 12/02/14. 189 Visa Granted - 05/03/14.  Leaving Switzerland - 15/12/17.   Moving to Perth - 04/01/18.  

That’s what I’m trying to say, you don’t need to decide if it is worth the hassle and expense - you can’t take it.

The decisiion is not yours to make and I’m afraid it has already been made for you!

16 minutes ago, spangley said:

Thanks all for your advice.  And I agree, the hassle and additional expense means it's not worth it.

Yes, as said it was never possible anyway unfortunately. 

Part time insomniac.

To be pedantic it can still be imported, just not as a personal import. So would cost even more. 

Still not worth it!

• Like 1

So many wineries ......so little time :yes: