Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Schooling & Health expenses on a sub class 489 visa

Recommended Posts


This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease.

We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits.


My question's and concerns are:

- How expensive would schooling and health cover be?

- Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school?

- What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications?


Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated.


Thank you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
I know certain states such as qld education is free for 489 & 457 visa holders and on 489 you get some NHS cover but not enough

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using PomsinOz mobile app

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK, which means UK residents are able to get some healthcare services without charge while visiting Australia.

Treatment at public hospitals is free, but you'll have to pay for:

treatment at most doctors' surgeries

prescribed medicines

ambulance travel

dental treatment

Essential documents

You'll need to have proof you are a lawful resident in the UK. You should be able to present either a UK or EEA passport, or a document granting you permission to reside in the UK, as well as a proof of address, such as utility bills or a UK driving licence. You'll also need to enrol at a local Medicare office. You can do this either before or after your treatment.

Some treatment charges may be partially refunded by the Medicare scheme. You are advised to make a claim while still in Australia, but you can contact Medicare from the UK if you were not able to enrol during your stay in Australia. 

To enrol on the Medicare scheme or make a claim, you should complete a Medicare enrolment application form or a Medicare claim form. These are available at www.humanservices.gov.au by searching for Medicare forms.   

Forms should be returned to Medicare Australia, together with any accounts or receipts, at the following address:
Medicare Public Eligibility Section
Millar Ground
Medicare Australia
PO Box 1001
Tuggeranong ACT 2901

You should always arrange sufficient healthcare cover and travel insurance before you go abroad.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using PomsinOz mobile app

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The subclass 489 (Skilled Regional Sponsored) visa is a temporary residency visa – but it is a provisional visa, in that it is considered to be a precursor to a permanent residency visa, most commonly under subclass 887.

In this regard the 489 visa is closer to the provisional business skills visas – and as such school fees are usually not payable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using PomsinOz mobile app

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Western Australia
As per the Department of Education Enrolment policy, the parents of dependent children holding subclass 489 Skilled Regional Sponsored visa have local enrolment entitlement and pay no tuition fees.

These students have the same enrolment entitlements as local students and are eligible for Student-centred Funding.

Visa 489 dependents are classified as fee exempt and pay the fees set by the individual government school (not fees to the DET International Education Division).

Enrolment is made directly to the school.

As you and your family are travelling to Australia on 489 visas, your dependent is eligible to enrol at a Queensland Government school as per the domestic enrolment process. Therefore, I recommend you contact a school that based on your place of residence in Queensland, as a number of Queensland Government schools have strict catchment area policies. This means that families must live within a certain radius of the school to be eligible for enrolment.

You are not required to pay the normal international student tuition fees that are processed through the central office of Education Queensland International.

The school you decide to enrol at will discuss any fees associated with the enrolment with you directly.

New South Wales
A holder of a 489 visa is not required to pay the administration or education fees.

They are required to have an Authority to enrol issued to the school before they are able to start school.

Northern Territory
Dependants of 489 visa holders do not incur International tuition fees at Northern Territory Government schools.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using PomsinOz mobile app

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now