187 Visa Processing Time

Big bird 12

Hi everyone, new to this forum so excuse any rookie mistakes! ?

I applied for the 187 direct entry stream as a personal assistant in April 2017, RCB approved in the May. No case officer assigned and by reading this thread i'm guessing most people have had to wait around the 23 month mark?! I was only 4 months off the 17 month mark before the processing time changed, i'm beyond devastated! 

In theory, my two years with my employer will be up in September, my migration agent said those two years begin from the moment of employment, whereas I've had other people say that is not true and that the two years begins from the visa being granted. In my time there so far I haven't been 38 hours and have been stuck on $22 an hour the whole time, as my employers have said it is based on whether or not I get the visa?! I also paid for every last inch of my visa and so being in this position for nearly two years now has left me in debt due to visa payments and only being on a basic wage and I have not progressed in my career half as much as I would have liked by now, with this particular company. Does anybody know where I could find the required wage and hours for my position, as I've been getting conflicting information on this as well. 

Any advice would be massively appreciated, whenever I call my migration agent I'm made to feel like a nuisance and get no information whatsoever (again, understanding much cant be said on processing times as we're all in the dark!) Oh and to add to the mix i'm also pregnant and would like to marry my partner, but we are stuck in limbo with all this and I have no idea what my entitlements are and whether I will have to leave with the baby, and without my partner ? HELP! haha.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Luciana said:

Do you work on weekends as well? 

What about going to the beach, finding a hobby, some activity that will help you get through the process?

My husband got really depressed and I don't wish it to anyone... he just got better after engaging in some sports.

No, I'm still waiting... 23 months. ? 

I work at home at the weekends, live on a farm so plenty to do. I love my life here but I just want to be able to plan for the future. 

Thanks for your suggestion though

23 hours ago, Luciana said:

I'm 32 and also want to start a family, and my job is the biggest challenge I've had in my life.

My advise is: don't wait. In a bridging visa you have Medicare and even if your visa is denied (hopefully not!), but you would still being able to apply for review and it would take another year or two, so plenty of time to have a baby while on Medicare. ? 

If you approval comes soon, great. If not, at least you are investing in another dream. 

I know it sounds bul.. but keep it positive and get busy with things you enjoy. It will be worth it.

Medicare doesn't cover baby costs. Requirement of my visa is private health care?

2 hours ago, Hayley1376 said:

I applied for the 187 direct entry stream as a personal assistant in April 2017, RCB approved in the May. No case officer assigned and by reading this thread i'm guessing most people have had to wait around the 23 month mark?! I was only 4 months off the 17 month mark before the processing time changed, i'm beyond devastated! 

In theory, my two years with my employer will be up in September, my migration agent said those two years begin from the moment of employment, whereas I've had other people say that is not true and that the two years begins from the visa being granted. In my time there so far I haven't been 38 hours and have been stuck on $22 an hour the whole time, as my employers have said it is based on whether or not I get the visa?! I also paid for every last inch of my visa and so being in this position for nearly two years now has left me in debt due to visa payments and only being on a basic wage and I have not progressed in my career half as much as I would have liked by now, with this particular company. Does anybody know where I could find the required wage and hours for my position, as I've been getting conflicting information on this as well. 

Any advice would be massively appreciated, whenever I call my migration agent I'm made to feel like a nuisance and get no information whatsoever (again, understanding much cant be said on processing times as we're all in the dark!) Oh and to add to the mix i'm also pregnant and would like to marry my partner, but we are stuck in limbo with all this and I have no idea what my entitlements are and whether I will have to leave with the baby, and without my partner ? HELP! haha.

Thanks in advance.

We are almost on the exact same timeline, and your story sounds similar to mine although I'm not pregnant...... yet! Here's hoping for good news. Where abouts in Oz are you? 

Thanks in advance.

Commitment to work for 2 years from date of visa approval

In the visa application form, as the applicant, you are required to declare that you:

1. Agree to work in the nominated position for at least two years
  2. Understand that if you as the applicant, or any family members included in the application or third parties acting your behalf, provide (or have provided in a previous application) false or misleading information, or bogus documents either knowingly or otherwise, the visa application will be refused and you may be subject to three year bar in relation to visas to which the fraud criterion applies. Any visa granted may be cancelled.

Effectively, this means that when your visa application is lodged, you must have the intention to work for your sponsoring employer in your nominated role for at least 2 years from the date that the visa is approved.

You need to continue to have this intention until a decision is made on your application. If your intention changes before lodgement, or during processing, and you no longer intend to work for your sponsoring employer for at least 2 years from when the visa is approved, then you should either not lodge the application or inform the Department and withdraw your application (which ever is applicable to your situation).

Thanks in advance.

As the post above explained: the two years start from the day you get your visa. Nothing up to the date the visa is granted counts unfortunately, and some employers take advantage of this.

Many decide to pay whatever rate and give too little/many hours during the waiting period (and even after) as they believe this is your only option to stay in the country and if you complain  they will simply not sponsor you.

Regarding your pay, visit this link and look up your award and level (should be in your contract): https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/findyouraward. Again, does not mean they will respect this. You could of course report them but say good-bye to your nomination with them first.

Also, part of the supporting documents you need to submit and they can ask for are payslips. Those must clearly show that you work full-time (at least 35 hours per week) and are paid as per the requirements. If the business cannot demonstrate they need you full-time and can pay you properly your application automatically becomes high risk. 

Regarding the baby issue - I have limited knowledge but I believe you should be able to take the baby with you unless the father objects to it. If he is permanent you could consider the Partner visa as plan B.

Lastly, if you cannot talk to your Agent freely and ask whatever you need without feeling ignored, bad or stressed it only shows you have a crappy Agent. I really hope not, though.

Edited by MilaMocha
spell check
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SineadK said:

We are almost on the exact same timeline, and your story sounds similar to mine although I'm not pregnant...... yet! Here's hoping for good news. Where abouts in Oz are you? 

Oh wow, as much as it's a shame you're going through the same rubbish, I'm also glad that someone is having a similar experience to mine! Haha. As doom and gloom as it is, I feel like there is just no happy ending at this point! I'm in Western Aus and have been regional for almost 3 years now ? how about yourself?

39 minutes ago, MilaMocha said:

As the post above explained: the two years start from the day you get your visa. Nothing up to the date the visa is granted counts unfortunately, and some employers take advantage of this.

Many decide to pay whatever rate and give too little/many hours during the waiting period (and even after) as they believe this is your only option to stay in the country and if you complain  they will simply not sponsor you.

Regarding your pay, visit this link and look up your award and level (should be in your contract): https://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/findyouraward. Again, does not mean they will respect this. You could of course report them but say good-bye to your nomination with them first.

Also, part of the supporting documents you need to submit and they can ask for are payslips. Those must clearly show that you work full-time (at least 35 hours per week) and are paid as per the requirements. If the business cannot demonstrate they need you full-time and can pay you properly your application automatically becomes high risk. 

Regarding the baby issue - I have limited knowledge but I believe you should be able to take the baby with you unless the father objects to it. If he is permanent you could consider the Partner visa as plan B.

Lastly, if you cannot talk to your Agent freely and ask whatever you need without feeling ignored, bad or stressed it only shows you have a crappy Agent. I really hope not, though.

Thank you for all that information MilaMocha, it's much appreciated.

I've found the email chain which had this conversation in and here are some quotes from it (not saying they're true to word, just using for reference for this thread ?)

"For a 187 visa, the 'two years of work for a regional sponsor' is counted from the time you commenced work for them full time. This means you can include time worked on your 417 and your current BVA"

"As you have been working for ***** since September 2016...you are already 19 months (currently) into the two years required. You will need to have the 187 visa approved though - you can't just leave the regional area after the two years if the 187 is still processing."

Hence why i'm a little confused about it all! 

As much as I would like to be earning more money at almost 30 years of age, all I want to make sure of is that when the visa decision comes in, it isn't based on something my employer has or hasn't done, rather than myself. 

The payslip thing shouldn't be an issue, however I read somewhere that they aren't asking for supporting documents for the RSMS visa anymore and are making decisions on the basis that all applications go in as 'decision ready' now? There is so much conflicting evidence and information, I'm just trying to seive through what is correct and what isn't - sorry if it seems i'm dismissing what you have said, definitely don't want it to come across as that just trying to figure out what the devil is going on! Haha. 

Leaving with the baby and without the father just isn't an option for me though! I suppose worse comes to worse I will pay out again for another visa and go on to a partner visa with him, but we're starting a family together because we are crazy about each other. He has an 8 year old daughter from a previous relationship and leaving her is absolutely never going to be an option! I'm wondering what is going to happen with my immigration position when baby is ready to arrive (ironically, around Australia Day haha). Will I have to come straight back to work so I can keep up my end of the visa deal? Again, not ideal because $22 an hour is no where near enough to support my partner and a newborn, as well as us having his 8 year old come live with us (hopefully!).

Yes, unfortunately that's exactly how I feel when I speak with my agent, luckily he has an assistant who is a lot more sympathetic but for $5,000 to handle my application, I feel like they were just happy to get the money and that's it. I would like to ask him what he thinks about my position with my employer but i'm too scared to, which is why I came to you guys haha. 

14 minutes ago, Hayley1376 said:

Thank you for all that information MilaMocha, it's much appreciated.

I've found the email chain which had this conversation in and here are some quotes from it (not saying they're true to word, just using for reference for this thread ?)

"For a 187 visa, the 'two years of work for a regional sponsor' is counted from the time you commenced work for them full time. This means you can include time worked on your 417 and your current BVA"

"As you have been working for ***** since September 2016...you are already 19 months (currently) into the two years required. You will need to have the 187 visa approved though - you can't just leave the regional area after the two years if the 187 is still processing."

Hence why i'm a little confused about it all! 

As much as I would like to be earning more money at almost 30 years of age, all I want to make sure of is that when the visa decision comes in, it isn't based on something my employer has or hasn't done, rather than myself. 

The payslip thing shouldn't be an issue, however I read somewhere that they aren't asking for supporting documents for the RSMS visa anymore and are making decisions on the basis that all applications go in as 'decision ready' now? There is so much conflicting evidence and information, I'm just trying to seive through what is correct and what isn't - sorry if it seems i'm dismissing what you have said, definitely don't want it to come across as that just trying to figure out what the devil is going on! Haha. 

Leaving with the baby and without the father just isn't an option for me though! I suppose worse comes to worse I will pay out again for another visa and go on to a partner visa with him, but we're starting a family together because we are crazy about each other. He has an 8 year old daughter from a previous relationship and leaving her is absolutely never going to be an option! I'm wondering what is going to happen with my immigration position when baby is ready to arrive (ironically, around Australia Day haha). Will I have to come straight back to work so I can keep up my end of the visa deal? Again, not ideal because $22 an hour is no where near enough to support my partner and a newborn, as well as us having his 8 year old come live with us (hopefully!).

Yes, unfortunately that's exactly how I feel when I speak with my agent, luckily he has an assistant who is a lot more sympathetic but for $5,000 to handle my application, I feel like they were just happy to get the money and that's it. I would like to ask him what he thinks about my position with my employer but i'm too scared to, which is why I came to you guys haha. 

Absolutely incorrect. Even if you work 20 years for them the 2 years count from the day you were granted the visa. We are waiting for 187 DE too and have an awesome agent who told us the 2 years AFTER the visa grant is the condition of the RSMS: you are obglided to stay with the employer after you get the visa. The time you spend with the employer BEFORE is beneficial and can make your case stronger, but does not count in the 2 years. You can change employer if you have to but have to remain in regional Australia (your next job has to be regional too). If you leave earlier the Employer who nominated you can report you to DoHA.

If you are on a permanent contract you are entitled to sick and holiday leave, should be to maternity too. Read your contract for details.

Also the payslip is very much required and our Agent uploads then every quarter along with the financial statements. It’s untrue that 187 DE needs no supporting documents, it actually needs quite a lot as it is direct entry. We’ve uploaded heaps of docs to support the applications and it still doesn’t mean it’s decision ready. They can always come up with something to request and if you show them payslip with less then 35 hours or inadequate pay, I’d say you’re in trouble.

Good to know you have the Partner visa as an option ? enjoy your pregnancy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MilaMocha said:

Absolutely incorrect. Even if you work 20 years for them the 2 years count from the day you were granted the visa. We are waiting for 187 DE too and have an awesome agent who told us the 2 years AFTER the visa grant is the condition of the RSMS: you are obglided to stay with the employer after you get the visa. The time you spend with the employer BEFORE is beneficial and can make your case stronger, but does not count in the 2 years. You can change employer if you have to but have to remain in regional Australia (your next job has to be regional too). If you leave earlier the Employer who nominated you can report you to DoHA.

If you are on a permanent contract you are entitled to sick and holiday leave, should be to maternity too. Read your contract for details.

Also the payslip is very much required and our Agent uploads then every quarter along with the financial statements. It’s untrue that 187 DE needs no supporting documents, it actually needs quite a lot as it is direct entry. We’ve uploaded heaps of docs to support the applications and it still doesn’t mean it’s decision ready. They can always come up with something to request and if you show them payslip with less then 35 hours or inadequate pay, I’d say you’re in trouble.

Could you tell me who your MA is please? 

6 hours ago, Hayley1376 said:

Thanks in advance.

We DIYed our 476 visa. We were long-distanced relationship but we gathered a lot of info to prove that our relationship was true. 
If you want info about how to make a successful partner visa, feel free to pm me. I can share my info to you (but not a professional legal advice for sure...you need a more professional MA). We should help each other! xx
I think partner visa is obviously harder than any temporary dependent visa like 476. But you still can have a look about what to do first.
I have never been pregnant before but I think I can understand you as a woman! Every time after sex I am so scared.
We try to do some sports instead...and we choose pretty safe days to sex ? 
Good to know that partner visa is one of your option! Finger-crossed and try to enjoy your life.
btw your MA and employer are really...crap
I think your 187 is really high risk. Don't think about the money you lost too much because you have a brighter future behind you if you make a right decision and move forward!

Edited by CarmenChung

6 hours ago, CarmenChung said:

We DIYed our 476 visa. We were long-distanced relationship but we gathered a lot of info to prove that our relationship was true. 
If you want info about how to make a successful partner visa, feel free to pm me. I can share my info to you (but not a professional legal advice for sure...you need a more professional MA). We should help each other! xx
I think partner visa is obviously harder than any temporary dependent visa like 476. But you still can have a look about what to do first.
I have never been pregnant before but I think I can understand you as a woman! Every time after sex I am so scared.
We try to do some sports instead...and we choose pretty safe days to sex ? 
Good to know that partner visa is one of your option! Finger-crossed and try to enjoy your life.
btw your MA and employer are really...crap
I think your 187 is really high risk. Don't think about the money you lost too much because you have a brighter future behind you if you make a right decision and move forward!

If you are proposing to give advice on a Partner Visa be aware that the requirements are very different from a 476 Graduate Visa. I suggest you put your information on the forum and not in a pm so it can be corrected if necessary - what works for 476 may well not work for a 820/801 or 309/100

Edited by Nemesis

8 hours ago, MilaMocha said:

You Should take care with your words, because you're talking like if you're 100% sure of that.

To everyone in this forum. 

The visa 187 once is granted doesn't say that you have to stay 2 years with your employer from the moment is granted, I've get my visa yesterday and i have no conditions or restrictions wrote on it! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, MilaMocha said:

That’s not true. You have to work at the nominated place full time at least 2 years whether its before or after the visa grant. So to make it confirm you have to sign the contract with your employer. So when you leave after 2 years that contract will be your proof. My employer and MA had done many 187 before and both of them told me the same thing that 2 years count from when I started to work as full time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luisy said:

You Should take care with your words, because you're talking like if you're 100% sure of that.

The visa 187 once is granted doesn't say that you have to stay 2 years with your employer from the moment is granted, I've get my visa yesterday and i have no conditions or restrictions wrote on it! 

Do you mentioned in your contract the 2years will be count before and after full time hours. 

15 hours ago, MilaMocha said:

I am getting $20 per hour as a chef $31500 per annum but after visa grant my pay will be $56000. Do you think there will be any problem. The case officer will ask why you are getting less before and after visa grant more. Please give me your advice. Thanks

My contract did not state that i will work for two years with my employer after visa grant but it states that the contract is a full time fixed term and will be effective once the visa is granted. Although i have been in the role for almost 3 years on 12 months full time permanent. 

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

If you are proposing to give advice on a Partner Visa be aware that the requirements are very different from a 476 Graduate Visa. I suggest you put your information on the forum and not in a pm so it can be corrected if necessary - what works for 476 may well not work for a 820/801 or 309/100

I I think I did say it very clearly they are A LOT different.

I only have some info for the part about how to prove a relationship is true and I DID ASK HER TO GET A PEOFESSIONAL MA FOR IT 

AND

THIS WAS NOT A PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE.

The info I couldn’t share to everyone because the agents may have copyright. But I can rewrite a similar one and tell her what evidence to collect (if she wants).

Hope this is clear for you now. ☺️

Edited by CarmenChung

Thanks so much for your input everyone! I was sure my registered agent wouldn't have lied to me in regards to my visa information. I have emailed them regardless, to get some light on the situation so I will let you know what he says in response as soon as I get it. 

The MA I have chosen may not be the friendliest or most understanding in my anxieties, but in saying that I don't know anyone who has gone with them who have had an unsuccesful application! As for my employer, the business is in trouble due to recent government changes and therefore I don't even know if they will be open in 2 years time, hence why I'm a bit stressed! 

When they said babies make things a little more complicated, they weren't lying, perhaps we should have waited until my future was certain...in saying that though I never wanted the easy life haha! ?? spent my whole life not wanting children and boom, meet the one guy that changed everything last year!

I think either way what is meant for us won't go past us, so wishing you all the best of luck with your visa process, it's nice to know people are in the same boat as me and I have found somewhere I can actually vent/talk about it all :)

I will post today once my MA has emailed me back and let you all know the scoop!! Until then, have a wonderful day, every day in this amazing country is a blessing! ??

12 hours ago, Luisy said:

Nah, it's your obligation to work for 2 years after the visa is granted. It is written under "your obligation" on the Gov internet site (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/187-). 

Edited by GnS
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Luisy said:

I’m 100% sure you have to stay with your employers for 2 years AFTER your visa is granted. Ask any registered migration agent and they will answer the same.

If you’re leaving before 2 years period AFTER your visa is granted you’re risking losing your PR without a good explanation. They’re checking tax papers ever since July 2017 last year.

Please bear in mind that in the visa application form, you are required to declare your intention to work in the nominated position for at least two years.  This goes without saying that when you file your application, you hold the intention to work for the nominating employer in your capacity as stated in the agreement for at least two years after the visa is granted.

Edited by ring3018
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2018 at 08:56, sahil pfs said:

HI EVERYONE

MY FILE SHOWS LAST UPDATE 20TH APRIL I CALLED MY AGENT HE SAID THEY UPDATED MY NEW AUSTRALIAN CHECK IN FILE . ANY IDEA 

MY LODGEMENT DATE WITH COMPLETE DOCUMENTS INCLUDING RCB IS 10TH MARCH 2017 

SALES AND MARKETING MANAGER

Even if your Agent had updated some stuff on your application, the LAST UPDATE on my immi won't change unless a case officer updates it themselves as what I understand. It's the same as mine; My MA have updated my passport and address but nothing changed on my LAST UPDATE. So, I believe it is when a case officer actually touches your application before that changes. 

What of if one agreed with the employer to leave may be due to study purpose as most remote communities have no educational institution, will the immigration consider this as a genuine reason, if possible how can it be communicated to the Immigration?