Moving back to UK with aussie hubby. What visa?

Jennifer Crisp

So me and my husband have been married for 1.5 years and I've been in Aus 2 years. We are having a baby in April (fingers crossed all continues to go well) and we want to go and live in UK (im english) when baby is one year old. He can't get a working visa so what visa can we get and how hard is the process?

Spouse visa, I am not an expert on it but know it's got some tricky requirements, check out the gov uk site.

Does your husband  know if any of his immediate grandparents are British born? Because then he can apply for ancestry visa which is fairly straightforward compared to spouse visa.

It might not be possible and you may have to get your head around that. As has been said, the easy way is if he has a UK born parent (the very best) or grandparent (second best) or a European born parent or grandparent which might give him an EU passport of some kind (and deal with the outcome of Brexit if and when it happens). If none of those, then you as sponsor on a spouse visa will have to be in a job earning £18k+ or you will have to have savings of £62.5k. The other downside is that your spouse will have no access to UK benefits - even some benefits that you and your child might normally be entitled to because it could be argued that those benefits could be used by your husband. It’s not easy, unfortunately if you have no ancestry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzly111 said:

What if you had say a $million in savings but no job in the UK? Does age matter? (What i'm trying to say is that if you exceed the minimum required amount by a long margin and were young(er) would it make it easier?)

If you have more than your £62.5k in savings you’re good to go, regardless of age.

Thanks for your help! We have over that in savings and good jobs here and I can get my old job back in London and we would never look to be on benefits.

he doesn't have ancestry so we will have to go down the spouse visa route. Is it hard and how long does it take and any idea on costs? 

Does any money in Australia count or just UK? (We have both but just asking)

9 hours ago, Jennifer Crisp said:

Thanks for your help! We have over that in savings and good jobs here and I can get my old job back in London and we would never look to be on benefits.

he doesn't have ancestry so we will have to go down the spouse visa route. Is it hard and how long does it take and any idea on costs? 

Does any money in Australia count or just UK? (We have both but just asking)

Sounds like you are good to go! Often young mums find it hard to meet the financial requirements so that’s great. I think the turn over time for the visa is pretty quick once you can demonstrate you meet the requirements - weeks rather than months. 

Looks like it costs just under £1500 and is decided within 12 weeks from overseas 

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

• Like 1