Lease a car for a set time period?

Fairly (ok very) unknowledgeable about car leases. However, if you were only planning on being in Australia for a reasonably short time ie: two years, would it be better to lease a car rather than buy? Our friends are moving out next year (with a plan to only stay for two - long story). They don't have the funds to buy a car and don't really want to take out a loan for a car and then have the hassle of having to sell it only a few short years down the track.

I said I would ask on here - any knowledgeable folk able to enlighten?

If they are only out for a couple of years I'd not bother with a newish car or a lease tbh. I'd just look at buying a decent second hand for $4-5k or so outright, making sure its looked after and selling when they leave. If they don't have funds for that, I'm not sure what to suggest. 

Agree with snifter on this. Leasing a car for only two years will probably be on the expensive side as they, the leaseholder, will be looking at 3 years min, maybe even 4 years to get the best return.

The second hand car market in Australia is also with its own issues as no MOT required every year, and only once you sell a second hand car do you have to get a road worthy cert, not mandatory, when you sell.

Some real bombs on the road as I found. Lots of people prepared to sell without the roadworthy when you meet them.

Find a good mechanic to do an inspection prior to purchase.

EDIT: If they are only moving out for two years, do they really need to buy a car, what about using a car hire scheme. Not sure what city they are moving too as you have not mentioned that, as Australia covers a large area!

Edited by evets
More Info

Thanks both. Sounds as if leasing is not an option. They won't have the funds to buy outright unfortunately. Hiring sounds like the best option, they're planning on moving to Queensland (probably Brisbane or Gold Coast) so depending on where they secure work may not need a car every day. I'll ask them to check out long term / occasional car hire,  hadn't thought of that. Thanks