189 independent skilled visa

Hi we have been wanting to move to Oz since visiting 10 years ago but circumstances have never been right.  We are have decided it's now or never and have told by an agency that hubby will qualify for a 189 independent skilled worker visa (he is a domestic gas fitter) subject to passing the English test and getting the application in before he turns 45 in February as needs the extra 20 points.  We are concerned as another agency said we were too late because of his age.  Don't want to start paying out to be told we're too late.  We would like to live on the Sunshine Coast and would appreciate any honest opinions/advice (we can take it!) on job prospects, education for 16  and 17 year olds,  best places to live etc as we only have a few days to make this huge decision.  Thanks in advance. Paula

It is going to be pushing it to say the least. 

Skills assessments take take up to eight weeks. Though it takes most people some time to get everything together to start the skills assessment - certificates, pay slips going back years etc. Then getting an invite can take some time - lately no one with 60 points has received an invite. Deduct Christmas period as the department close. You can try, but a very good chance he won't make it 

Taking a 16 year old could be difficult educationally. Kids start year 11 as they are 16 or about to turn 16 and it’s a 2 year course that isn’t easily curtailed. A 17 year old could struggle if they don’t have A levels or they might have to be prepared to go back to TAFE to get year 12 (that’s what Aussie employers understand)

Suggest that you get a wriggle on with it. To get it done by February is doable but pushing it. We had the same issue coming up to my husband's 40th birthday. We contacted the skills assessment people and asked if they would be willing to expedite it, which they did for a small fee. Made things a bit more stressful though. Definitely get going with it now!

Thanks everyone.  Got some serious thinking to do.  Our adviser said was doable but would be tight.  What is an "invite"?  education wise both will hopefully have gcse's, older one will be possibly part way through an art and design course.  Will they not be able to get into a college over there with gcse's? Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
20 hours ago, Shackletons said:

Hi we have been wanting to move to Oz since visiting 10 years ago but circumstances have never been right.  We are have decided it's now or never and have told by an agency that hubby will qualify for a 189 independent skilled worker visa (he is a domestic gas fitter) subject to passing the English test and getting the application in before he turns 45 in February as needs the extra 20 points.  We are concerned as another agency said we were too late because of his age.  Don't want to start paying out to be told we're too late.  We would like to live on the Sunshine Coast and would appreciate any honest opinions/advice (we can take it!) on job prospects, education for 16  and 17 year olds,  best places to live etc as we only have a few days to make this huge decision.  Thanks in advance. Paula

How exciting and also nerve racking, personally I would say go for it, if you don't you may live the rest of your life wondering "what if"

Have a chat with a couple of the agents on here, they are reputable and registered. @Richard Gregan Is one of these and is on the ball which is what you are going to need to get everything ready on time. It will be difficult with the Christmas break being in the middle as well. 

The Sunshine Coast is absolutely beautiful and we have lots of members who live there. However, I think a visa is your main priority for now, once that is submitted you are going to have a long wait which can then be used for researching areas, jobs etc.

Good luck with everything

3 hours ago, Shackletons said:

Thanks everyone.  Got some serious thinking to do.  Our adviser said was doable but would be tight.  What is an "invite"?  education wise both will hopefully have gcse's, older one will be possibly part way through an art and design course.  Will they not be able to get into a college over there with gcse's? Thanks

The education system is totally different. Kids progress through to year 11 by virtue of age - usually 16 or about to turn 16. In some states that’s still High School in other states it’s a secondary college system but it’s not the U.K. system.

GCSEs are essentially irrelevant and all that matters are the year 12 results at 17 turning 18. If they’ve started an A level or BTech course it’s better to let them finish (once you’ve validated you have several years to settle so they could finish their uk education then be ready for Uni or whatever.)

5 hours ago, Shackletons said:

What is an "invite"?  

This from the government website:  https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) via SkillSelect with details of your nominated occupation, skills and qualifications. SkillSelect will estimate a points score and rank you against other intending migrants.

If you are ranked high enough and there are places available for your nominated occupation, you will be invited to apply for the visa.

If you are invited, you have 60 calendar days to apply for the visa. We will then process your visa application.

An invite is an invitation to apply. 

The way it works is your husband does a skills assessment. At the same time, you look at how many points you have. At the time, many people find they don't have enough points and most have to take an English exam such as ILETS to get more points. Once you have the skills assessment and if necessary ILETS, you can lodge an expression of interest (EOI). You then wait to be invited to apply for a visa. The wait to be invited depends on occupation and number of points. The more points the better. It may take several months to be invited. Applicants with a bare 60 could be waiting 6 months plus. The clock on the age keeps ticking until you are invited and actually apply. 

We have been told as long as we apply before husbands birthday we will be ok.  He does need to take an English test.  We are to pay a deposit now and will be put in touch with someone to arrange appointment to tell us what paperwork is required for skills assessment and we have to book English test for November.  Our worry is are we wasting our time and money.  No one has mentioned we have to be "invited to apply", only that the timescale is tight.

Everyone has to be invited. It is going to cost and there is a big risk. It is very hard to say what your chances are of being invited in time. For example, it isn't unusual to need to take ILETS more than once. Which can take time. Then, since there were massive changes to the entire system earlier this year, the process seems to be taking longer to get an invite. 

If you manage to lodge a skills assessment by the end of the month and he passes ILETS first time then you might be able to lodge an eoi by the end of the year. You would then be relying on getting an invite in either one or two months. It is a gamble on if you get the invite in time. If I were to make a call, I would say unlikely based on people applying now

• Like 2

I returned from Aus in January after exhausting my previous visas for a few years. Since the start of January, I've been working towards a 189 visa as an electrician. Took until February to gather my documents for skills assessment and have them approved. April was the next available skills assessment exam. Then 8  week wait for the certificate. April to July for me to get superior level English for 20 points, (tried both IELTS & PTE few times). EOI submitted very start of July with 60 points and still waiting for an invitation to apply now (everyone has to be invited). This will be the same process for your husband but different timescales of course.

Through research and various sites, aus DIBP are processing very slowly. I started in January and wouldn't expect to see much progress until the new year. So could be 12 months from getting the ball rolling to my application submitted for my situation. Your situation, is also more complicated than my own as you have multiple family members going with you, in turn will have piles of paperwork. My opinion is it would be very very risky and theres no way of getting your money back. 

It’ll be tight. The big cost however comes when you are invited to apply for the visa - costs before than are substantially less. You need to be invited before the age limit deadline as your EOI auto-updates until you are invited, at which point your details are locked in. I’d advise using an agent if you go for it as they’ll know all possible shortcuts

Hi - if you google 'Australia immigration tracker' a site will come up which allows you to view lodgement dates and processing times for individual visa applications, you can search by profession and see how long applications are taking. But as has been said before you need to be invited to apply by submitting an EOI, this process can take a while on its own and then you have the actual visa application which again you can use the tracker to calculate an average - at the moment the DIPB website is saying 90% of applications processed within 12 months (and thats after you've got your invitation to apply and have submitted a formal application). There are always exceptions and you might be lucky, if its something you've wanted to do for 10 years its worth a shot for sure. 

How many points are you expecting to get when you submit - that should be factored into your decision making.  Higher point scorers get invited quicker.  It may be prudent to get a second opinion from one of the agents on this board; the agent you spoke to may simply be wanting to get fees out of you for the upfront work.

Another problem is that it is highly likely that you need maximum points for employment - that's 8 years for 15 points. However, if you can't evidence 8 years to TRA's satisfaction then the visa application is sunk as you won't have enough points. TRA are *very* stringent on this. 'to their satisfaction' means that you need to provide two forms of pay evidence for each year you are claiming for, this is in addition to employment references - now in the form of templates which must be signed by an employer.

If you need these 15 points, then you need to establish whether you can obtain 8 years work experience (including the two forms of pay evidence for each year e.g. payslips, P60s, bank statements, HMRC) *now*, before you commit to this, because TRA are unforgiving and will simply discount any year which doesn't meet the requirement - just losing one year may sink the visa application.

Regards,

Richard

It has to be said that with 60 points this is very unlikely since no-one since July has been selected with 60 points.  There is a huge backlog of people already in the queue.

Other options?  Do you have close family in Australia as 489 Family could be doable if you get skills and English on time.

Regards,

Richard