Who to contact for a 417 visa update!?

NimaGhaemi

Hi all

I have now been waiting 8 weeks and 4 days for my 417 working holiday visa to be granted and still no answer.  The travel agent I purchased the visa through has chased DIBP twice for me and still no response, I have also been in touch with the processing team via email and chased them twice however no response. 

There is a number you can call on the DIBP website which is 0061 131 881... you usually have to hold for approximately 40 minutes to speak to one of the team.  

I spoke with a gentlemen called Alex last night and he tried calling the processing team in Queensland however there was no response, he sent them an email and asked for them to email me an update - I'm mindful that they have never responded to any of our emails and that they never will respond.  

Its a really tricky situation as I've missed my flight, lost out on a job and also lost money on an Airbnb.  The process shouldn't take this long and I HAVE NOT been asked for any medical tests, I don't not have any criminal convictions and I hold a British passport (born in the UK)

Is anyone else experiencing serious delays here??? any advise on what could be going on and who I could potentially call? its driving me insane no hanging around in limbo :(

Thanks

Nima 

3 minutes ago, NimaGhaemi said:

Hi all

I have now been waiting 8 weeks and 4 days for my 417 working holiday visa to be granted and still no answer.  The travel agent I purchased the visa through has chased DIBP twice for me and still no response, I have also been in touch with the processing team via email and chased them twice however no response. 

There is a number you can call on the DIBP website which is 0061 131 881... you usually have to hold for approximately 40 minutes to speak to one of the team.  

I spoke with a gentlemen called Alex last night and he tried calling the processing team in Queensland however there was no response, he sent them an email and asked for them to email me an update - I'm mindful that they have never responded to any of our emails and that they never will respond.  

Its a really tricky situation as I've missed my flight, lost out on a job and also lost money on an Airbnb.  The process shouldn't take this long and I HAVE NOT been asked for any medical tests, I don't not have any criminal convictions and I hold a British passport (born in the UK)

Is anyone else experiencing serious delays here??? any advise on what could be going on and who I could potentially call? its driving me insane no hanging around in limbo :(

Thanks

Nima 

Applying from  high risk country? High risk country passport? Those could be the reason.

DIBP always advise neve to give up jobs, book flights etc without a visa grant.

No I am applying from Manchester UK, I am half Iranian and have an Iranian passport however I am not an Iranian citizen.  My best friend has a criminal conviction and a drink driving offence and had his visa granted within 10 days... if it is my Iranian passport holding me back surely someone with two criminal convictions is more of a risk to the Australian border then someone with an Iranian passport?

I was advised it wouldn't take more than 6 weeks and even when speak to the DIBP they are shocked its taking this long. 

Its a horrendously bad service with no form of update or anywhere in which an applicant can check where the process is up to.  

Do you have any advise on who to chase or what I can do?

5 minutes ago, NimaGhaemi said:

No I am applying from Manchester UK, I am half Iranian and have an Iranian passport however I am not an Iranian citizen.  My best friend has a criminal conviction and a drink driving offence and had his visa granted within 10 days... if it is my Iranian passport holding me back surely someone with two criminal convictions is more of a risk to the Australian border then someone with an Iranian passport?

I was advised it wouldn't take more than 6 weeks and even when speak to the DIBP they are shocked its taking this long. 

Its a horrendously bad service with no form of update or anywhere in which an applicant can check where the process is up to.  

Do you have any advise on who to chase or what I can do?

Does your best friend have an Iranian passport?

I would be fairly certain they are doing security checks with Iran. That will take as long as it takes for Iran to carry out the checks and respond to DIBP.

But confused though, how can you have an Iranian passport if you aren't an Iranian citizen? That in itself may be causing a delay whilst they try and work it out. 

Just now, NimaGhaemi said:

My dad is Iranian therefore I am entitled to an Iranian passport, so is my brother, sister and mum who is fully English

Do you have any contacts in the processing team? someone I can chase to speed things up/get an update as to what is going on?

In that case you are an Iranian citizen. He has assed citizenship on to you and that enables you to hold an Iranian passport. If you hold a UK one as well that just makes you a dual citizen.

Even if I did know someone who works for DIBP I wouldn't pass on their details, sorry, thats just not ethical. As it is though I am merely someone who has been using forums for many years and has absorbed some of the facts about migration and visas.

Guest The Pom Queen

Just be thankful it's Australia you are trying to visit and not America. Even some Australians were being refused entry to USA.

I am sorry to say but it is going to take patience. You have a passport from a HR country, they will need to run checks on why you have this. If your mother was Iranian and your father British that would be different as it's only the father that counts when it comes to nationality. Do you hold British citizenship as well?

Guest The Pom Queen
6 minutes ago, NimaGhaemi said:

thank you

Would you say they are doing checks with the Iranian embassy in Aus or with Iran itself?

I would presume both

Guest The Pom Queen
10 minutes ago, NimaGhaemi said:

Yes I hold British citizenship, I was born here and have lived here my entire life.

If you have never left the UK I would hope the wait won't be as long, but unfortunately there is nothing you can do but wait.