Perth Northern Suburbs

Guest263228

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Depends on your lifestyle choices I suppose but we go out a lot more and see friends almost daily. We are both into fitness and enjoy doing sporty things and Aus provides everything you can wish for if you're like us. 

Because of that we've met heaps of people with the same interests and heaps willing to organise fitness sessions, runs, bike rides, ski paddling and boarding sessions etc. Not only at weekends but before and after work. Just a matter of getting out of bed early or not watching crap on TV at night.

The inerraction you talk of happens each time we meet up with different people. That's the Northern suburbs that you don't seeM to fancy though, so you might be missing out.

Fills me with dread for the most part every time I head up those northern parts. Talk about soulless suburbia. Early to bed early to rise. I know well the scenario. I don't deny doing stuff is all the go and another way that to a large degree replaces the interaction found in other countries but fine if that's your preference.

5 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Fills me with dread for the most part every time I head up those northern parts. Talk about soulless suburbia. Early to bed early to rise. I know well the scenario. I don't deny doing stuff is all the go and another way that to a large degree replaces the interaction found in other countries but fine if that's your preference.

We lived in Mullaloo very close to the beach.  I really liked it there.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

We lived in Mullaloo very close to the beach.  I really liked it there.  

As I say each to their own. The northern beaches don't do it for me. Yanchep I can manage when it comes to swimming, but quite dangerous on a number of other beaches not to say very exposed.

23 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

What ineraction are you going on about?

Do you mean sitting down in a pub or restaurant over cups of coffee or beers, sorting out world problems? We do plenty of that, we don't go straight home to bed like you seem to think.

53 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

As I say each to their own. The northern beaches don't do it for me. Yanchep I can manage when it comes to swimming, but quite dangerous on a number of other beaches not to say very exposed.

When we lived in Perth, Alan Bond owned 'Yanchep Sun City'.  We drove up there just after Christmas one day and I never wanted to go back again.  The flies were the worst I had ever seen.  I thought to myself "I wouldn't live here if somebody paid me to".  

My Mum who was in her 70s at the time learned to body surf at Mullaloo Beach.  The surf never bothered her at all.  She was a game old dame though.

17 minutes ago, Toots said:

When we lived in Perth, Alan Bond owned 'Yanchep Sun City'.  We drove up there just after Christmas one day and I never wanted to go back again.  The flies were the worst I had ever seen.  I thought to myself "I wouldn't live here if somebody paid me to".  

My Mum who was in her 70s at the time learned to body surf at Mullaloo Beach.  The surf never bothered her at all.  She was a game old dame though.

Yep. It was said to be too sandy to be of much use. It took time for much to happen. We had a look out there about eighteen months ago. Lots of houses, if largely medium density and couldn't vouch for the quality of build.

I don't think I've ever been to Mullaloo when it hasn't ben blowing. But  don't venture there often. Far prefer southern beaches myself.

1 hour ago, s713 said:

I like the Northern beaches for a walk but I'd never go swimming anywhere other than the Lagoon, far too choppy for my liking.

Lots of rips as well. Every time at  Trigg that I recall the beach or large swaths of it is closed to swimmers. Scarborough is bad enough. I do swim there but the dumpers need to be made aware of the dangers, especially to foreign tourists.

2 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Yep. It was said to be too sandy to be of much use. It took time for much to happen. We had a look out there about eighteen months ago. Lots of houses, if largely medium density and couldn't vouch for the quality of build.

I don't think I've ever been to Mullaloo when it hasn't ben blowing. But  don't venture there often. Far prefer southern beaches myself.

There were no houses in Yanchep when we went.  Ocean Reef was the end of the road in those days.  One place I really did like was Guilderton.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:39, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

This isn’t only an Australian issue it’s a massive problem in the UK too especially in the south east

I am fully aware of UK situation and once looked, briefly at buying in Brighton. I have lived, long ago on the South Coast as well. Australia is something of a unique situation when it comes to housing though. This nation has now probably the biggest personal debt in the world, due to over priced housing in almost all places of relevance. Too cheap credit for too long has inflamed a situation that I'm not sure anyone knows how to get out of without creating major economic damage.  

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

There were no houses in Yanchep when we went.  Ocean Reef was the end of the road in those days.  One place I really did like was Guilderton.

Now there's a place I don't believe I have ever been. Hence can't update you. Ocean Reef appears rather popular these days. Loads of people I've crossed paths with seem to have purchased out there over fairly recent years. Nothing to add about the place besides saying it wouldn't suit me.

3 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Lots of rips as well. Every time at  Trigg that I recall the beach or large swaths of it is closed to swimmers. Scarborough is bad enough. I do swim there but the dumpers need to be made aware of the dangers, especially to foreign tourists.

There's warning signs all over the beach at Scarborough. Careful of rocks, rips, waves, caution water will make you wet, don't forget to breath in and out. 

There's people who can swim and find scarbs fun and then there's people who think they can swim and need rescuing. Then there's people who maybe go to the beach to pose and don't even get wet.

If you're going swimming in the ocean you need to be competent. Mullaloo is usually very safe in summer.

We went to Bali a few weeks back and the number of people I saw on beaches just to pose and take photos was unbelievable. Looks like the latest is to have some chiffon scarf blowing behind you whilst you hold it with arms in the air. Obviously with a background of sea with waves to show people on facebook what a great life you have. To actually get in and have a swim though, no way. 

Off to the bus and next photo opportunity. Then there's the other group who get to the resort and "reserve" their sun lounger at 6:00am by putting their towel on it, go back to bed, go for breakfast at 10:00 then spend the whole day by the pool. Never getting in for a swim of course.

They could have saved heaps and gone to Craigie leisure centre for a week. Bigger pool at Craigie too.

Edited by Paul1Perth

48 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's warning signs all over the beach at Scarborough. Careful of rocks, rips, waves, caution water will make you wet, don't forget to breath in and out. 

There's people who can swim and find scarbs fun and then there's people who think they can swim and need rescuing. Then there's people who maybe go to the beach to pose and don't even get wet.

If you're going swimming in the ocean you need to be competent. Mullaloo is usually very safe in summer.

We went to Bali a few weeks back and the number of people I saw on beaches just to pose and take photos was unbelievable. Looks like the latest is to have some chiffon scarf blowing behind you whilst you hold it with arms in the air. Obviously with a background of sea with waves to show people on facebook what a great life you have. To actually get in and have a swim though, no way. 

Off to the bus and next photo opportunity. Then there's the other group who get to the resort and "reserve" their sun lounger at 6:00am by putting their towel on it, go back to bed, go for breakfast at 10:00 then spend the whole day by the pool. Never getting in for a swim of course.

They could have saved heaps and gone to Craigie leisure centre for a week. Bigger pool at Craigie too.

I swam practically everyday from September 'til May at Mullaloo beach and thought it was super.  I used to swim really far out where the sea was flatter - never even thought about sharks.  :shocked:

• Like 1

Me, the wife and youngest son wenr to the new Whitfords brewery and had a look round at the restaurants. I was amazed and impressed. I know it's cost millions but every place was packed last night.

We had planned going to one restaurant where my eldest has been and said the ribs are really good. We went early but it was booked out till about 8:00. 

We went to the brewery, $9 pints and good food. It's really big, has a nice pub feel and the sky bar has great views too.

Most of those shopping centre places you still know you're in a shopping centre. Joondalup tried. This one is much better and the sunset view over the ocean from the sky bar is excellent.

Might make a bit of a dent in Hillarys visitors.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Me, the wife and youngest son wenr to the new Whitfords brewery and had a look round at the restaurants. I was amazed and impressed. I know it's cost millions but every place was packed last night.

We had planned going to one restaurant where my eldest has been and said the ribs are really good. We went early but it was booked out till about 8:00. 

We went to the brewery, $9 pints and good food. It's really big, has a nice pub feel and the sky bar has great views too.

Most of those shopping centre places you still know you're in a shopping centre. Joondalup tried. This one is much better and the sunset view over the ocean from the sky bar is excellent.

Might make a bit of a dent in Hillarys visitors.

Hillarys needs a bit of a wake up IMO. It gathers in the hordes with limited offerings. Good to hear there is a new kid on the block.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Hillarys needs a bit of a wake up IMO. It gathers in the hordes with limited offerings. Good to hear there is a new kid on the block.

Agree, Hillarys needs a bit of an upgrade. I hear they charge mega rents too and the breakwater, whilst nice, is extortianate. One of our friends had a café there and it nearly sent them broke. 

• Like 1