Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ellemorrison

Tourist visa 600 while waiting for Partner Visa

Recommended Posts

Hello

Somebody with knowledge please advise. I'm a stressed out Brit living in Paris, France with my Australian Partner. We are in a de facto relationship. Been living together for over 4yrs now.

He has been offered a job in Sydney, Australia and we plan to move over there in 2 months time.  3 days ago, i applied for a tourist visa (subclass600) so that I can be with my partner while we wait for the processing of my Partner Visa. I intend to lodge the Partner Visa in the next few days offshore, here in Paris before we leave.

I understand that I wont be able to work or have rights while on this tourist visa 600.  I also understand that I have to leave Australia to be granted the Partner Visa when processed.

I was told by someone on these forums that as a British citizen, it was best to go for an ETA and apply for the Partner Visa onshore. I'm afraid waiting till we get to Australia is risky and my documents will be a little dated. I have all my documents and evidence ready to apply for the Partner onshore.

Anyway, its too late now, I have already applied for the Tourist Visa 600. Have a completely messed up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you rock up on a tourist visa with an Aussie citizen not intending to use the tourist visa for what it’s intended for, you run a real risk of being turned around at the border. If you apply offshore then let your CO know you will be going on a tourist visa to wait out (at least some of) the time then you are less likely to get into strife. Get your partner visa in ASAP, you never know your luck, it might get processed quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  I just realised that the Visitor Visa 600 that I applied for online does not necessarily let me stay for 12 months continuously. 

I also run the risk of not having a CO allocated by the time I DECIDE to go to Australia.

This is truly stressful. What is the best thing to do in my situation?

Maybe consult a migration agent. Pffffff.

Anyway, thank either way x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just submit your application and see what happens. You’re not going for a couple of months and you could possibly hang fire fo4 another month maybe before popping over. If it’s well documented and straightforward you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice. My PV is ready for grant. Got the email today. Just need to leave Auz to NZ for a few days and get it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×