Tourist visa 600 while waiting for Partner Visa

ellemorrison

Hello

Somebody with knowledge please advise. I'm a stressed out Brit living in Paris, France with my Australian Partner. We are in a de facto relationship. Been living together for over 4yrs now.

He has been offered a job in Sydney, Australia and we plan to move over there in 2 months time.  3 days ago, i applied for a tourist visa (subclass600) so that I can be with my partner while we wait for the processing of my Partner Visa. I intend to lodge the Partner Visa in the next few days offshore, here in Paris before we leave.

I understand that I wont be able to work or have rights while on this tourist visa 600.  I also understand that I have to leave Australia to be granted the Partner Visa when processed.

I was told by someone on these forums that as a British citizen, it was best to go for an ETA and apply for the Partner Visa onshore. I'm afraid waiting till we get to Australia is risky and my documents will be a little dated. I have all my documents and evidence ready to apply for the Partner onshore.

Anyway, its too late now, I have already applied for the Tourist Visa 600. Have a completely messed up?

If you rock up on a tourist visa with an Aussie citizen not intending to use the tourist visa for what it’s intended for, you run a real risk of being turned around at the border. If you apply offshore then let your CO know you will be going on a tourist visa to wait out (at least some of) the time then you are less likely to get into strife. Get your partner visa in ASAP, you never know your luck, it might get processed quickly. 

Thank you.  I just realised that the Visitor Visa 600 that I applied for online does not necessarily let me stay for 12 months continuously. 

I also run the risk of not having a CO allocated by the time I DECIDE to go to Australia.

This is truly stressful. What is the best thing to do in my situation?

Maybe consult a migration agent. Pffffff.

Anyway, thank either way x

• 5 months later...