Best suburbs in Perth

Mtotheb81

Tough one to answer. There are about 250 suburbs in Perth, all with pros and cons, some reasonably priced others prohibitive, some near the coast some inland.

We live where we live because of family. If we'd had free rein, I think I would have secured a centrally located rental/holiday let and done a lot of driving and research, advice of others doesn't really cut it in this circumstance.

Mullaloo is a great suburb. It would be a bit pricier than Tapping but there's always demand for property in Mullaloo.

Good schools of all persuasions nearby. Two good primary schools in Mullaloo itself. The beach is one of the nicest and safest on the coast. 

Close to Hillarys, pub and cafes at the beach, nice parks surround the beach with free barbeques and play areas for kids. Millions just spent at Whitfords on new movie theatre, brewey and several restaurants. 5 minutes away.

There are a few suburbs pretty close together around Mullaloo that would be equally as nice. If you go to the other side of Marmion property prices drop a fair bit. Have a check in Craigie, Padbury, Beldon. Older houses maybe but on decent sized plots and still a walk away from the beach.

As far as crime goes it's pretty low in comparison to major UK cities.

Good luck.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. Yes Mullaloo looks ideal for us, my only hang up is the state schools since private schools are not really an option. We are looking for a state high  school that has a pass rate of over 90%. 

Also I have heard Perth is pretty isolated, is there lots to do there and is it sustainable for children as they become adults and looking for jobs etc.. 

1 hour ago, Mtotheb81 said:

Thanks for the help guys. Yes Mullaloo looks ideal for us, my only hang up is the state schools since private schools are not really an option. We are looking for a state high  school that has a pass rate of over 90%. 

Also I have heard Perth is pretty isolated, is there lots to do there and is it sustainable for children as they become adults and looking for jobs etc.. 

Only you can decide.  I thought Perth was a lovely place when I lived there and at the time I never even thought about the isolation but you will hear from other members on the forum that it was one of the reasons for leaving - that and the boredom.  Depends what kind of stimulation you want out of life I suppose.  Me, I wouldn't be bored on a desert island.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone live in Freemantle or nice suburb they can recommend for an elderly couple.  We're exploring every avenue before we make

a decision whether to return to Aus from France.  One member of our family lives in Cairns but that's way too hot  and humid for us

and the other in Melbourne where we lived for 50 odd years.  I was there last November and have to say I don't think I'd want to live

there again.  I visited Perth as had a daughter living there who has since moved but unfortunately didn't get to see Freemantle which I

would have liked to do.   Obviously coming from France where real estate is exceedingly cheap we won't have a lot to spend so maybe

renting might be the way we have to go.  Anyway that decision comes later.  Many thanks

Unfortunately $300000 if we're lucky.  I have to say though after sifting through a lot of the posts I don't think it's for us although I know one has

to make up their own mind but it's a bit far to come and find out it's not what we're comfortable with.     

14 minutes ago, libbye said:

Unfortunately $300000 if we're lucky.  I have to say though after sifting through a lot of the posts I don't think it's for us although I know one has

to make up their own mind but it's a bit far to come and find out it's not what we're comfortable with.     

Don't want to rain on your parade but that won't buy much here, you will spend about $10000 on fees out of that also ?

Think long and hard............... 

Amazing how attitudes and lifestyle change...Had to look up Tapping and Mullaloo. Knew about Mt Hawthorn as I lived in West Leederville. Heck, it was a cut lunch trip to get to Yanchep...

50 years ago the prime locations were around the Swan River, Nedlands, Dalkeith, Peppermint Grove, Mosman Park and Claremont north of the river. South of the river, Applecross, Alfred Cove, Attadale, Como and Booragoon were the favourites.

Cheers, Bobj.

17 hours ago, libbye said:

Anyone live in Freemantle or nice suburb they can recommend for an elderly couple.  We're exploring every avenue before we make

a decision whether to return to Aus from France.  One member of our family lives in Cairns but that's way too hot  and humid for us

and the other in Melbourne where we lived for 50 odd years.  I was there last November and have to say I don't think I'd want to live

there again.  I visited Perth as had a daughter living there who has since moved but unfortunately didn't get to see Freemantle which I

would have liked to do.   Obviously coming from France where real estate is exceedingly cheap we won't have a lot to spend so maybe

renting might be the way we have to go.  Anyway that decision comes later.  Many thanks

Freo as it is known is a popular place to live, but particularly for the younger crowd as it is full of bars and things. 

Your budget is going to be tight in most places. Certainly in the city itself unless you are considering an apartment. However, as you move further from the city prices fall. Have you considered Mandurah? It is a small city south of Perth - the last stop on the rail line and about 55 minutes from the city and very popular with older couples as well as increasingly popular with families. I would expect you to be able to buy a small house there on your budget. 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Flynster said:

Perth hills? Boring for some but laidback lifestyle for others .. probably a nice place to be for older people .. I like it and I’ve come from Surrey.. feels very safe too

Yes, there are plenty of community groups here for retired people. However, no longer a cheap option for buying property and i have a feeling that Libbye may have mentioned elsewhere that she doesn't drive. Definitely not a place to live without transport.

Thank you for your responses.  Don't think we'll be returning after all.  Too big a move at our tender age!  Would have been nice but

we've had a good run and the thought of starting all over again wears me out thinking about it.  Enjoy your lives and make the most

of every moment. xxx

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, libbye said:

Thank you for your responses.  Don't think we'll be returning after all.  Too big a move at our tender age!  Would have been nice but

we've had a good run and the thought of starting all over again wears me out thinking about it.  Enjoy your lives and make the most

of every moment. xxx

I don't really blame you Libby.  The thought of moving out of my home and moving somewhere else now gives me the heebie jeebies.

Have a lovely time with your daughter when she is with you in France.  :)

On 10/5/2017 at 16:38, Mtotheb81 said:

Based on your high school criteria I would be looking nearer the city. Most people would agree that any high school further north than Duncraig High are not particularly known for their high achievements (don't want to offend anyone). Middling high schools would probably be Duncraig, Carine, Churchlands and Shenton. There are some near the river such as Willetton and Rossmoyne are known to be very high achieving. We also have an academic section school 'Perth Modern' and a Gifted and Talented 'GATE' program which you can apply for and caters to gifted children.

Mullalloo is in the catchment for Ocean Reef High School (you generally only go to the school that you are in the catchment for).

Perth can be very isolated. We don't get the shops that the rest of the world, or even the Eastern States, get. It can be costly to travel anywhere other than WA for holidays. It can be a bit of an issue as children grow and, depending upon which career they choose, may find that they need to leave WA to progress. We're hopefully just coming out of a bit of an economic slow down which has hit a lot of people hard and caused some to have to go back home for work. 

However it can be lovely to be so isolated. It can feel very peaceful and a bit old fashioned which is nice when you're raising children away from the hustle and bustle of big cities and their problems. I feel that there's plenty to do, especially in the summer months. There's always markets, concerts in parks, celebrations etc. Loads of them are free which is fab.

5 hours ago, jillandsi said:

Based on your high school criteria I would be looking nearer the city. Most people would agree that any high school further north than Duncraig High are not particularly known for their high achievements (don't want to offend anyone). Middling high schools would probably be Duncraig, Carine, Churchlands and Shenton. There are some near the river such as Willetton and Rossmoyne are known to be very high achieving. We also have an academic section school 'Perth Modern' and a Gifted and Talented 'GATE' program which you can apply for and caters to gifted children.

Mullalloo is in the catchment for Ocean Reef High School (you generally only go to the school that you are in the catchment for).

Perth can be very isolated. We don't get the shops that the rest of the world, or even the Eastern States, get. It can be costly to travel anywhere other than WA for holidays. It can be a bit of an issue as children grow and, depending upon which career they choose, may find that they need to leave WA to progress. We're hopefully just coming out of a bit of an economic slow down which has hit a lot of people hard and caused some to have to go back home for work. 

However it can be lovely to be so isolated. It can feel very peaceful and a bit old fashioned which is nice when you're raising children away from the hustle and bustle of big cities and their problems. I feel that there's plenty to do, especially in the summer months. There's always markets, concerts in parks, celebrations etc. Loads of them are free which is fab.

Not sure I would call churchlands middling?

But this may help

https://bettereducation.com.au/school/secondary/wa/perth_top_government_secondary_schools.aspx

• Like 1