Finding work before you land

Hi,

Just wondering how many people managed to find a job before arriving in Australia? Having 2 school age kids moving with us it is a terrifying thought resigning, packing up our lives and moving half way around the world without jobs to go to. (We are hoping to go to Queesnland)

If you did manage to secure a job beforehand, how did you do it? We are getting the impression that having a UK email address and phone number will knock us out of the running straightaway.

Any advice appreciated!

Yeah, don't resign, take a career break (belt and braces) and rent out your house.  Expect to be unemployed for up to 6 months (which is why when states require evidence of money in the bank they are thinking 6 months without work), realistically you should get something within 3 months and hopefully within a month but it rather depends on what skill set you have and where you are trying to compete.  

On 10/2/2017 at 23:23, Chasing a dream said:

Having 2 school age kids moving with us it is a terrifying thought resigning, packing up our lives and moving half way around the world without jobs to go to. (We are hoping to go to Queesnland)

In reality, this is what a lot of us do!

I would suggest researching your area of work thoroughly and as mentioned above ensure savings to last 3-6 months without work.  Depending on the type of work you do, even if you apply for jobs in the first few weeks, by the time you have gone through the recruitment process, medicals, police checks, refs this process can take time until you are formally offered the position.

This article was in the Career One jobs supplement on 23/9/17 which mentions Queensland...

Job Stats.jpg

I had a job to go to. I managed to secure an internal transfer with my company that allowed me to relocate without missing a payslip. That came with its own challenges, as i 'left' my Uk job on the tuesday, we flew wednesday, arrived thursday and was in the Aus office on friday.

I am well aware that i am in the minority of those making the move, but could this be an option? Also there is nothing stopping you applying. I would avoid agencies who will ignore you until you are in country, but depending on your field, can you approach HR of potential companies. Another method i used was stalking people in my field on linkedin and approached them directly ( i used this in case my transfer fell through) some were more helpful than others, but for the sake of a few hours work, you never know what opportunities may come out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/10/2017 at 13:53, Chasing a dream said:

Hi,

Just wondering how many people managed to find a job before arriving in Australia? Having 2 school age kids moving with us it is a terrifying thought resigning, packing up our lives and moving half way around the world without jobs to go to. (We are hoping to go to Queesnland)

If you did manage to secure a job beforehand, how did you do it? We are getting the impression that having a UK email address and phone number will knock us out of the running straightaway.

Any advice appreciated!

I'm sure it depends on your career but I had a lot of luck applying to companies speculatively, explaining my situation and requesting an initial Skype interview. While it didn't secure a role straight away, it definitely meant that as soon as I got to Brisbane I had a number of interviews to attend in person and a handful of potential interviewers interested in me already. A lot of employers were surprisingly understanding and accommodating so best of luck to you too if you try this method. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I got my job several months before I'd left the UK - I found applying through the job sites a waste of time though and in the end used Google StreetView to trawl the streets of industrial areas of Perth.

I looked up the details of companies based on the signs on their buildings and spent a couple of hours per night for a week doing this. One evening I got a reply from the owner of one company saying their engineer had just handed in his notice and that he wanted to chat.

Two phone calls and two SKype sessions later I was signed up and contracted ready to go before I'd even left the UK.

• Like 2

There are some very good tips here.

I have not made the move to Oz yet but do have the visa so we can go once the planning is complete. Likewise I have found recruitment agencies unwilling to help me unless I am already in Australia. Applying online for through seek has been disappointing with responses to applications non-existent.

I will certainly give google street view a try as well as researching companies directly through their own websites.

Edited by swc132994