Fly now pay later Etihad

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

What a great idea. It is a shame they aren't extending it to UK/Australia

The airline is now giving a “fly now pay later” option with the cost spread over up to five years, using payment provider PayFort, which accepts payment plans from three months to 60 months.

“We understand travel can be a significant expense, especially for families and those on a tight budget,” Justin Warby, Etihad Airways vice president for digital strategy and innovation, said in a statement. “This new initiative is a great way for people to book and enjoy their travel without having to worry about paying in one large sum.”

Warby also said this option would be an opportunity to upsell premium options, like first class tickets or private suites, to customers who would otherwise not be able to afford it.

“When we were designing this product, we were really looking at how we can assist those low-to-medium income travelers and families,” he said. “Of course, spreading the payment over a period of months is also a great way to indulge in premium cabins.”

Etihad is the first in its region to offer this type of credit. However, the option is only available to customers who are residents of UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt.

I'd be very wary of this personally. I don't like the idea of going into debt for a trip or holiday. I'd rather save up ahead of time or go somewhere a bit cheaper or closer to home than be repaying over 5 years for a 2 week family holiday at goodness knows what rate of interest. 

I have recently travelled back to the uk unexpectedly to visit a sick relative. I was at the end of a period of extended maternity leave and savings were almost non-existent - luckily I had enough to cover it but left me with little savings/safety net until I was back at work and could put some savings aside again. This would be a great option for people in similar circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Guest The Pom Queen
I have recently travelled back to the uk unexpectedly to visit a sick relative. I was at the end of a period of extended maternity leave and savings were almost non-existent - luckily I had enough to cover it but left me with little savings/safety net until I was back at work and could put some savings aside again. This would be a great option for people in similar circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Yes that was my thought to. It would be great in an emergency if you don't have savings put away.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I work for Student Flights Australia, we book alot of one-way and return flights back to the UK for expats, and some of ours Etihad fares actually do offer a 'layby' option.

We also further discounted fares for those aged 36 and under, so feel free to call us on 02 8512 9600 or email us for a quote, linda.park@studentflights.com.au

Cheers! 

Linda