Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Every city in the world is growing isn't it as is the world population.?

Not much we can do about it if the world population keeps growing.

Whinging won't help. How big is Greater London probably a good 12 million or so.

I'm not sure what you don't understand, but to reconfirm Australia is growing at close to the fastest rate in population due to migration. (USA may be ahead) Whinging will certainly help and plenty more people are very concerned with what is panning out in Australian cities, especially Melbourne and Sydney. (some 70% go to either of those city's)

Not much we can do about it? A defeatist attitude and example of apathy at its most severe, I'm afraid. I do realise the retention of over valued house prices is your main concern, as you have expressed it enough on various threads over the years, so hence you may well welcome the result of depleting services, rising crime levels , inadequate infrastructure to cope with the sudden massive increases, but others may well consider servicing the housing Ponzi not necessary the best way  forward for Australian most popular cities........

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you don't understand, but to reconfirm Australia is growing at close to the fastest rate in population due to migration. (USA may be ahead) Whinging will certainly help and plenty more people are very concerned with what is panning out in Australian cities, especially Melbourne and Sydney. (some 70% go to either of those city's)
Not much we can do about it? A defeatist attitude and example of apathy at its most severe, I'm afraid. I do realise the retention of over valued house prices is your main concern, as you have expressed it enough on various threads over the years, so hence you may well welcome the result of depleting services, rising crime levels , inadequate infrastructure to cope with the sudden massive increases, but others may well consider servicing the housing Ponzi not necessary the best way  forward for Australian most popular cities........

Are you now suggesting that rising crime levels are due to migration?

How about the massive drug problem which Australia has you don’t think that’s a contributing factor?

7 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

You really are deluded if you don’t think the country would grind to a halt

It’s not about training it’s about experience you can’t just train someone to the job of a skilled experienced migrant.

It really isn’t difficult to understand

I would like to see figures which detail which percentage of population growth is due to migration but as on other threads I’m certain you can’t provide facts to back up your argument

It must be difficult to understand because sadly you fail to get it. The majority of population increase is due to migration. Not hard to find look it up. I'm already providing the relevant information. You can add the finishing touches. The angle is too obvious. I suspect, you may well be a migration agent. If not a rent seeker of some sort, gaining from record immigration levels.  

Australia's immigration has gone way beyond the need for qualified labour, as I am sure you would be aware. It is bringing in people by the scores, in areas where workers are certainly not required and without a job prior to arriving. The IT industry has long been a victim of this shenanigans

AS for backing up facts, they are all out there. Where the facts are missing is any support saying Australia needs to run the biggest immigration intake and increase its population at developing world levels. No evidence at all. .

8 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

How about the massive drug problem which Australia has you don’t think that’s a contributing factor?

Your pulling straws now migration man. Do you want to discuss the drug problem or migration? As for rising immigration levels causing and crime, I'll attempt to explain. Increasingly populations at rapid rates, makes more competition on the ground level , in areas of housing, jobs , hopelessness, and a thousand other things which I can elaborate on if required.

The thing being in a nutshell, the crime doesn't need to be committed by migrants, locals are just as able to contribute and possibly more so. If you must, a few words on the drug issues, hardly new, but areas blighted with poverty, poor housing, unemployment, are often areas of high drug use.

Do you really feel the trend to enable people only to be able to afford, poorly built dog boxes, or alternatively living in far flung, dormitory suburbs, (often newly arrived) far from work, little to no public transport, bored kids, and a host of other issues, likely to lead up to social problems, all part of your future picture of Australia?

Good on Sloane in The Australian for writing her piece. The media as the political parties have closed down on the matter.

It must be difficult to understand because sadly you fail to get it. The majority of population increase is due to migration. Not hard to find look it up. I'm already providing the relevant information. You can add the finishing touches. The angle is too obvious. I suspect, you may well be a migration agent. If not a rent seeker of some sort, gaining from record immigration levels.  
Australia's immigration has gone way beyond the need for qualified labour, as I am sure you would be aware. It is bringing in people by the scores, in areas where workers are certainly not required and without a job prior to arriving. The IT industry has long been a victim of this shenanigans
AS for backing up facts, they are all out there. Where the facts are missing is any support saying Australia needs to run the biggest immigration intake and increase its population at developing world levels. No evidence at all. .

You stated all of this on the 457 visa thread failing to back up your argument

Fact is you can’t back it up if you could you would I remember you were banging on building site labourers coming in on 457 visas. Complete BS.

So here again you are hijacking a thread to peddle your small minded ill informed agenda
For your information I’m an engineer, a skilled migrant so I am neither an agent or anything else.
I’m annoyed at you because I come across your attitude on a daily basis from ill informed small minded people who are unable to back up anything they say
Also FYI the company I work for are unable to source my skills in Australia and without appearing big headed without my skills the company would fold putting around 30 Australians out of work.
So tell me how that would benefit them?

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

The bottom line is that people who are unsettled in Australia and/or have returned home are "whingers" who hate to see other migrants (the majority) who love their lives here.

Do Australians love their sport? Of course?. More than British people? What? Brits don't like going to the races? Brits aren't obsessed with football especially the Premier League, the most popular in the world. And some sport loving Brits are not willing to embrace AFL and rugby league the favoured Aussie footie codes, which I think is blinkered. Why have only one football code when you can have four? (Including rugby union). 

Can you have a life free from sport in Australia? Of course. Waiting for the Spurs v WBA game to start at the Surry Hills hotel I chatted to two ladies from Canberra who had come to Sydney for the weekend to watch two musicals -Muriel and the Carole King Story - on successive nights. Yes, you can embrace "culture" on Australia, but again the whingers are blinkered. I went to see see an excellent Aussie production of My Fair Lady recently with a friend who unsuccessfully tried to persuade me to see Carmen with him.

What was the other whinge I saw? Oh, the Aussie working culture, allegedly different from the UK. Rubbish! But, again, if you have not settled you don't notice the good. I work in a wonderful office. We work hard just like in Britain. We enjoy the same conditions. We have a good social side to it too, pay week lunches, people bringing in food, etc. But I'd hate to have any of the whingers in my office. 

Personally, I've enjoyed life on both countries, adapting to local conditions with ease, as do most of us.

You hate whingers and I hate apathy. Loathe ignorance and don't do sport, at least to any extent. Saying that we'd make a formable team. There would be few of either opposing team left standing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

You stated all of this on the 457 visa thread failing to back up your argument

Fact is you can’t back it up if you could you would I remember you were banging on building site labourers coming in on 457 visas. Complete BS.

So here again you are hijacking a thread to peddle your small minded ill informed agenda
For your information I’m an engineer, a skilled migrant so I am neither an agent or anything else.
I’m annoyed at you because I come across your attitude on a daily basis from ill informed small minded people who are unable to back up anything they say
Also FYI the company I work for are unable to source my skills in Australia and without appearing big headed without my skills the company would fold putting around 30 Australians out of work.
So tell me how that would benefit them?

Your attitude doesn't bother me but rather pleased you are annoyed. I'm getting through. Although you claim you don't like nor agree, I have struck a sensitive point with you. Don't bother to admit I am right.

Yes I did comment on the rip off 457. It was used and abused and deserved to be shut down. It went way pass it use by dare, at best needs reforming. Whether you want to admit to the wide spread abuse is your issue. I have witnessed it and there is plenty of examples on line. Abuse is not confined of course to 457, but includes the Student Visa and WHV. Again not all are abusers. It started of well but the results are clear to all whom bother to look.

Also not just the applicant, but the employer abuse as well. As I mentioned it is not about you, or how valuable an asset or not you may well be to this country. It is well beyond that and heavens know, if you are not a rent seeker, why you take such a personal affront to the truth.

I'm afraid the small mindedness ball I must return to your court. You appear unwilling or unwilling to see a bigger picture.

Please explain , as a 'great' Australian politician once uttered. Where is being ill informed, not advocating and supporting massive population growth and declining living standards.?  I won't hold my breath.

8 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

You hate whingers and I hate apathy. Loathe ignorance and don't do sport, at least to any extent. Saying that we'd make a formable team. There would be few of either opposing team left standing.

Now I come to think of it, my young Pommie friends are the most sport obsessed I've know - flew to Auckland on two weekends to catch the NZ v Lions tests there, up to Brisbane on another weekend for boxing, never miss a UFC, bet huge sums on anything that moves. Aren't there 30 000 Poms either here or coming here for The Ashes, and I imagine the same number went to NZ for the Lions tour. Then again my Aussie sister-in-law will spend the entire weekend watching every NRL game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Now I come to think of it, my young Pommie friends are the most sport obsessed I've know - flew to Auckland on two weekends to catch the NZ v Lions tests there, up to Brisbane on another weekend for boxing, never miss a UFC, bet huge sums on anything that moves. Aren't there 30 000 Poms either here or coming here for The Ashes, and I imagine the same number went to NZ for the Lions tour. Then again my Aussie sister-in-law will spend the entire weekend watching every NRL game. 

I doubt there will be those numbers, but I suppose as some only do a leg or two and combine it with other activities, it is a possibility.  I do on occasions go to the cricket. Always put in an appearance at the local Barmy Army venue, a new HQ, this time in Perth. A lot of England supporters though appeared to me at least to be back packers. Still enjoyable though. Went to the Rugby in Perth, the other week when England played France, but the ambiance was a little ordinary and far from a full house.

Far from sport obsessed I'm afraid. Pretty 'undemanding' thing to be on reflection though. Innocent (for most part) talking piece as well.........

2 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

I doubt there will be those numbers, but I suppose as some only do a leg or two and combine it with other activities, it is a possibility.  I do on occasions go to the cricket. Always put in an appearance at the local Barmy Army venue, a new HQ, this time in Perth. A lot of England supporters though appeared to me at least to be back packers. Still enjoyable though. Went to the Rugby in Perth, the other week when England played France, but the ambiance was a little ordinary and far from a full house.

Far from sport obsessed I'm afraid. Pretty 'undemanding' thing to be on reflection though. Innocent (for most part) talking piece as well.........

They mentioned Perth's new 60 000 capacity stadium on the cricket a few times. With a four test series next year, the Gabba might lose out? I'll be interested in how Perth "feels" to me. I seem to recall lots of "whinge-fests" about Perth - too isolated, too boring, etc.

But to the subject on hand. Obviously record immigration levels will be impacting on desirability, which is why the matter was raised . Increasing cost,  on top of declining living standards, on top of record house prices, for those that have owned for awhile  together with a still fairly good rate of exchange, are surely factors towards reasons people are returning?

It is far more complicated that simply not liking the product, though that can be  a factor as well. Newbies, of course have additional problems of finding their feet in expensive cities, with some may well be deciding it not worth the effort.

No one shoe fits all feet of course. Just best people are aware of numerous challenges involved. Fine if not interested to hear them.

10 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

They mentioned Perth's new 60 000 capacity stadium on the cricket a few times. With a four test series next year, the Gabba might lose out? I'll be interested in how Perth "feels" to me. I seem to recall lots of "whinge-fests" about Perth - too isolated, too boring, etc.

Not without some merit. (the whinge fests) Personally I prefer Sydney when it comes to comparison with most things, apart could not afford the comfort that I now have living in/close to  the centre. Yes I guess it will be interesting how you find it.

But it is not a city comparison. Yes Perth has quite a record of enticing migrants and waving a number good bye a few years later.

3 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

First off I don't know that crime levels are rising. 

Crime is certainly more prevalent in big cities and certain areas of any big City are always dodgy. Usually those areas have a lot of migrants. Look at the problems in Melbourne and Sydney and check who's over represented. 

Perth is a lot smaller but I know one area (Mirrabooka) that isn't the same as it was 10 years ago and it's because of the emigrants that have moved there.

My son used to go out with a girl from there. They've lived there most of their lives, grew up there and never had issues.

The Mom is divorced and has 3 daughters. They've been broken into 3 times in 6 months and they are well and truly scared. My son stopped leaving his car there as he didn't want it knicked or vandalised.

The advocates will blame all sorts of things in their excuse of course. Poor upbringing, lack of employment opportunities, racial discrimination blah blah. Never their fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

First off I don't know that crime levels are rising. 

Crime is certainly more prevalent in big cities and certain areas of any big City are always dodgy. Usually those areas have a lot of migrants. Look at the problems in Melbourne and Sydney and check who's over represented. 

Perth is a lot smaller but I know one area (Mirrabooka) that isn't the same as it was 10 years ago and it's because of the emigrants that have moved there.

My son used to go out with a girl from there. They've lived there most of their lives, grew up there and never had issues.

The Mom is divorced and has 3 daughters. They've been broken into 3 times in 6 months and they are well and truly scared. My son stopped leaving his car there as he didn't want it knicked or vandalised.

The advocates will blame all sorts of things in their excuse of course. Poor upbringing, lack of employment opportunities, racial discrimination blah blah. Never their fault.

Although the worst crime I've crossed in Australia was easily in Alice Springs. Next would have been Darwin. Neither big towns, but large numbers of indigenous youth for a large part, but of course not  entirely, creating a large number of problems.

Mirrabooka, and environs have been long used to house marginal and conflicted people, and into that fray came a considerable number of refugees being settled in the area, they themselves often being targeted and feeling unsafe in early years.

I expect their kids have 'adapted' both in a positive sense and otherwise. I know some community leaders of newer established community voiced concern several years back with the direction some of their young appeared to be taking.

Mirrabooka has our favourite butchers in Perth Metro, so do go there from time to time. Some very nice houses in the area and the shopping centre is a very pleasant mix of vitality with folk from around the world. Whatever happened to the multi cultural markets once planned there I wonder?

Lots of potential for the future in that area and hopefully a train connection will help transform it as well. I have never been there at  night, but can imagine little happening ..very boring for the youth of the area ......but hardly uncommon to many other Perth suburbs.

This link suggests that crime levels have clearly fallen in Mirrabooka over the last 7 years:

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Crime/Crime-Statistics-Portal/Statistics?locality=Mirrabooka&startYear=2010&startMonth=1&endYear=2017&endMonth=12

Sounds like any influx of migrants has had a beneficial effect on crime there - showing the local criminals that it is possible to live in harmony... but I am sure many residents who sadly are the victims of crime are happy to blame immigrants without any evidence:  you've no idea who broke into the house you mention, or their ethnicity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akiralx said:

This link suggests that crime levels have clearly fallen in Mirrabooka over the last 7 years:

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Crime/Crime-Statistics-Portal/Statistics?locality=Mirrabooka&startYear=2010&startMonth=1&endYear=2017&endMonth=12

Sounds like any influx of migrants has had a beneficial effect on crime there - showing the local criminals that it is possible to live in harmony... but I am sure many residents who sadly are the victims of crime are happy to blame immigrants without any evidence:  you've no idea who broke into the house you mention, or their ethnicity.

What column were you looking at to come to that conclusion? It's pretty poor whatever year you pick. Wouldn't be up there for a suburb to settle in.

The lady who got broken into had security cameras so they know very well the ethnicity. Surprise no arrests or charges though.

7 hours ago, Tink said:

.........and so many want to settle in Australia!

......Australia has nearly three ......times the population growth .......of the average of developed countries.

........just in my local area the increase in high density housing

.......has put a strain on schools

.......even though more have been built

........roads once easy to get from A to B .....now congested

........and jobs as the son has found.....harder to get

........it’s a sign of the times

........not just here ....

........it’s the world we live in...

now you are getting to the issue tink ...mass immigration across the western world

why ? ....is it to give people from the third world freedom ? ...or is I to drive up competition and drive down wages of the inhabitants ?

are we all better off than we were in the 80s -90s ?

can our children buy a house in Melbourne or Manchester , work hard , and have it paid off in 10 years ...like it used to be ?

if not ...why is that ?

and some people , just don't see it

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

now you are getting to the issue tink ...mass immigration across the western world

why ? ....is it to give people from the third world freedom ? ...or is I to drive up competition and drive down wages of the inhabitants ?

can our children buy a house in Melbourne or Manchester , work hard , and have it paid off in 10 years ...like it used to be ?

if not ...why is that ?

these situations are being manufactured and facilitated for ever greater control and profits of the few

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

if not ...why is that ?

In the case of Australia, a settler and there for migrant country, immigration is hardly the issue. What is the issue is record immigration without any call for, purely to support a population Ponzi in growth and demand.

It is a very sad case indeed, not to say dangerous, that the majority of people not in housing, will as things stand, never be able to afford housing in Australian main cities.

I do wonder how long Melbourne has hide behind the smoke screen of being labelled 'worlds most desirable city.' Even if only aimed at a business elite, not normal people, the PR is worth a lot, besides many do not pick up the elitist ethos of the measurement.

Greed of developers and bankers and Big Business and the real estate and lobbyists of various descriptions, are indeed challenging tolerance of populations as living standards decline . Massive immigration  is unneeded in this age with technological changes and robotics increasingly coming into play.

I find it amazing that none of the political parties, including The Greens, challenge the current manta of A Big Australia. Why not? Why such little discussion about it in the press? Likely reason all behold to retain the over inflated housing costs and the banks have got themselves in far too deep in loans on housing, to be questioned. No body wants to be responsible in pricking the bubble.

All I suppose a rather pointless exercise on an immigration forum where people just want to get to their nominated destination by any means possible.

Edited by Pura Vida

On 9/30/2017 at 10:12, EmmaGiggles85 said:

I dont know if ive put this in the correct forum or not, but im getting a bit unnerved reading so many posts about poms moving back to the UK.

We are in the early process of applying for permanent visas etc as some of you may be aware from previous posts on here. The OH and i feel silly enough that we have never visited Oz and yet feel like we belong there.... but doubt has set in over such a huge decision and when i come on here, all i see at the moment are poms desperately trying to get back home. So obviously my niggling doubt of uprooting our three sons is setting in and taking note of these posts.

All friends and family are pro emigrate and we dont receive much help from family or friends here for us to miss it in Oz. All family and friends that matter are already making plans to visit anyway emoji23.png and we just feel a huge pull there (melbourne).

Are we just completely mad and naive?? Xx

Thanks, Emma x

Hi Emma

We move to Fremantle WA 5 years ago without ever having been here, we love it our lives have gained so much from living here jump with both feet screaming from the roof tops and hopefully you will love it as much as we do

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1