Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

It's all a completely individual choice where you are happy and prefer to live.

we retired to Oz with no immediate family here, have no intention of leaving.  2 out of our three have followed us here and have no intention of living in UK again..

All our three have travelled extensively, due to my husbands job and their wander lust.  They spent all their holidays with us over the 10 years we lived in Brunei  (due to schooling and university in UK)  made great friends with other international children and travelled extensively in that region.

My daughter has also lived in Mexico for 2 years and Kenya for 1 year

The younger 2  have good jobs and a good life style in Oz, just the same as our oldest who lives in UK with no desire to live here, so 3 children, similar background equally happy with their lives.

I know some people say they have found it difficult making friends, but all I can say is that I cherish the friends I have in both countries, I have recently had a small operation on my heart (all good I hope) and have been humbled by the love and care shown by my friends here. Not leaving UK friends out, I just haven't told them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:48, Paul1Perth said:

Depends on your lifestyle choices I suppose but we go out a lot more and see friends almost daily. We are both into fitness and enjoy doing sporty things and Aus provides everything you can wish for if you're like us. 

Because of that we've met heaps of people with the same interests and heaps willing to organise fitness sessions, runs, bike rides, ski paddling and boarding sessions etc. Not only at weekends but before and after work. Just a matter of getting out of bed early or not watching crap on TV at night.

The inerraction you talk of happens each time we meet up with different people. That's the Northern suburbs that you don't seeM to fancy though, so you might be missing out.

Well glad your' lifestyle' has moved onto to a place you have found greater contentment with. Posts from a few years back suggested not quite in such a state but  you have been consistent with your views Perth Northern areas so no argument from me .

But you know me by now. I loathe the northern suburbs and wouldn't consider it as a liveable option. You can't beat the inner city or Fremantle IMO if one wants to witness a bit of life around one and no I don't like bland suburbia and reminds me of a sand pit in places.

Usually interaction revolves around people with some interesting to say enough to sit and discuss. 'Doing things' is active interaction at best with the activity being the role focus, somewhat ideal for not having to talk to much. Very popular in Australia a country more inclined to 'doing'   than much in the way with conversations .

Just saying there is far more to do at nights than watch crap television. Limited perhaps in Perth though granted.

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

Yup, this for me too. Our eldest has been to US, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Germany. Greece, Italy, France, Egypt, all over UK and is heading back to US and France in the new year. They have a home of their own, a nice car and he has a god job. He has no intention of returning to the small pond of Aus.  Our younger son in Aus got burned out in a bushfire, his relationship broke up, he chucked in a scholarship to do medicine in order to be self sufficient in the bush and now does casual work and lives in our house. He’s been to visit us once and get down to Orbost every now and again. He’d live in UK, he says, if he didn’t have his girls.  Meanwhile, caring for my 93 year old dad is a real stressor but we are taking every day as it comes and in 6 years I have really enjoyed every minute of Britain. Just had one good wool show and Christmas markets in Bury and Lincoln coming up and shopping in London. 

I will cope when we have to return to Aus (I promised!) but all my (new) UK friends will be very much missed and it won’t be easy but that’s life.

My two sons are very different from each other.  Both born here.  The elder one now lives and works in Ireland a country he loves.  He's backpacked and driven all over South America, the USA and Canada.  Meanwhile his brother and his girlfriend have backpacked around Europe and visited my sister and also my sister in law in the UK.  Both have flats in Sydney - the elder son's is rented out.  Looking forward to seeing them both at Christmas and New Year - haven't seen the elder one for over two years.  I don't know when I will be back to the UK for a visit.  I was planning on going next year but it was mainly to see my sister and as she will be here in December I don't really see the point now.  Also SIL and her OH are coming here next year in March so we will be kept busy with visitors.  A close friend in NSW is thinking of moving to Tasmania and she and her OH will base themselves at our place while they check out different areas where they would like to live.  It will be really good to have them live a lot nearer   ..........................  if they do decide to buy a place.  :)

• Like 2

Hi Emma,

My wife and I are returning to UK my wife having lived here for 17years in Australia and I was born here of English/Irish heritage. We  are moving back for family reason and a lifestyle change to be closer to travel etc. Depending where you live in Australia you can have a fantastic life. Sydney is very expensive with median house price $1millon dollars about £500k. So depending on what you do for a living can be very expensive. so you need to realistic. Food and living costs in Sydney are expensive too so just take that into consideration. I would go on a comparison site to see the difference between living costs between the two countries

• Like 1

@EmmaGiggles85 

Hi Emma, I just read your post, so I can only assume since you posted this in September you are still currently 'in the process' of applying for permanent visas. 

I felt compelled to respond to your post because, like most families who make the big move from England, I think it's an admirable act. A lot of people are scared of making such huge changes for their family. Although most people who do emigrate would have paid a visit to the country itself. Are you mad, no, naive, yes.

From experience, I would strongly recommend that you pay a trip to Melbourne before moving your entire family.

You might love Melbourne and never want to leave - I can only hope this is the case. But you might also not like it, which some people do. This is the gamble you are taking. No one on this site can tell you if Australia is RIGHT for you and your family, only you and your children can make this decision. As long as you have the finances to return 'if' you do not like it, then I do not see the issue. Otherwise, making the move is a big deal for most, emotionally and financially.

Best of luck.

• Like 2

@EmmaGiggles85 
Hi Emma, I just read your post, so I can only assume since you posted this in September you are still currently 'in the process' of applying for permanent visas. 
I felt compelled to respond to your post because, like most families who make the big move from England, I think it's an admirable act. A lot of people are scared of making such huge changes for their family. Although most people who do emigrate would have paid a visit to the country itself. Are you mad, no, naive, yes.
From experience, I would strongly recommend that you pay a trip to Melbourne before moving your entire family.

You might love Melbourne and never want to leave - I can only hope this is the case. But you might also not like it, which some people do. This is the gamble you are taking. No one on this site can tell you if Australia is RIGHT for you and your family, only you and your children can make this decision. As long as you have the finances to return 'if' you do not like it, then I do not see the issue. Otherwise, making the move is a big deal for most, emotionally and financially.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the reply! I have talked it over with the OH and now that we have begun the process, we are looking into visiting melbourne in April 2018 but it will be without the kids as they dont know yet (didnt want to get their hopes up if it didnt work out!)

Are you living in Aus then?

Thank you for your words x

I can't recall if I've already said my piece but you are not reading more and more returning to the UK posts. Count the number of subjects and the number of replies on any given day and you will understand. Of course, if you are worried about your move you might be paying more attention to these posts which can be unsettling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I can't recall if I've already said my piece but you are not reading more and more returning to the UK posts. Count the number of subjects and the number of replies on any given day and you will understand. Of course, if you are worried about your move you might be paying more attention to these posts which can be unsettling.

I read most of the moving back posts back in 2013 and 2014 during our initial planning phases.  I found it helpful to know what other people’s issues were so I could relate them to my personal circumstances.  In my case it helped me to know that I did not share those same concerns (at least not to that extent).  It is good to be prepared.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Thank you for the reply! I have talked it over with the OH and now that we have begun the process, we are looking into visiting melbourne in April 2018 but it will be without the kids as they dont know yet (didnt want to get their hopes up if it didnt work out!)

Great! Enjoy your trip. I'm sure you will love Melbourne. 

Edited by ellie6106
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

We did a recce trip back in 2015 (in our case, Queensland).  My recommendation is that you resist the temptation to make the trip a ‘holiday’.  Fully scope out potential jobs, schools, affordable areas to live, go to open houses for homes you could potentially afford to rent or buy.  Try out dummy commutes at peak times into likely work areas perhaps.  

• Like 2

Emma, most people who are happy in Aus don't tend to spend a lot of time on these forums. Whereas people who want to move back do.

Thats why there are far more anti-Aus, or at least unhappy -in -Aus posts here.

Give it a try, give it at least two years, and you will probably be fine. Unless you are super close to family and rely on them a lot. Then you may struggle.

Edited by Kapri
Typo
  • Like 1

On 30/09/2017 at 03:12, EmmaGiggles85 said:

I dont know if ive put this in the correct forum or not, but im getting a bit unnerved reading so many posts about poms moving back to the UK.

We are in the early process of applying for permanent visas etc as some of you may be aware from previous posts on here. The OH and i feel silly enough that we have never visited Oz and yet feel like we belong there.... but doubt has set in over such a huge decision and when i come on here, all i see at the moment are poms desperately trying to get back home. So obviously my niggling doubt of uprooting our three sons is setting in and taking note of these posts.

All friends and family are pro emigrate and we dont receive much help from family or friends here for us to miss it in Oz. All family and friends that matter are already making plans to visit anyway emoji23.png and we just feel a huge pull there (melbourne).

Are we just completely mad and naive?? Xx

Thanks, Emma x

Some like it, some don't. It's not some sort of paradise, it's expensive, isolated, the weather can be very oppressive and the country can be an acquired taste.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bristolman said:

Some like it, some don't. It's not some sort of paradise, it's expensive, isolated, the weather can be very oppressive and the country can be an acquired taste.   

I would rephrase this slightly, it's expensive, isolated, the weather can be very oppressive and on occasion downright dangerous  but it is physically very beautiful the wildlife is spectacular, not always in a good way,  and the food is awesome.

Oh and it's  sport obsessed.  If there is a major global incident in the next 5 days it will be the second item in the news after the ashes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Oh and it's  sport obsessed.  If there is a major global incident in the next 5 days it will be the second item in the news after the ashes.

Depends which newspaper you choose to read.  For mine this morning - the attack in Egypt, the Oxford Street panic and 3 other international stories made it ahead of the Ashes. 

• Like 3

Sport is front cover when Aussies not in the hot seat, not news. The usual thing here, when people read newspapers in number, was for the bloke to turn to the back and read the sport. The rest received a glance. A bit cringe worthy but a few things would fit that bill.

The big thing though is the expense. It is hugely expensive in so many things and very sad as this was far from always the case. I for one, consider the working culture not great out here also. Toxic in certain cases and very poorly managed. A pet hate of mine .  But I understand UK has declined as well over the years.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I would rephrase this slightly, it's expensive, isolated, the weather can be very oppressive and on occasion downright dangerous  but it is physically very beautiful the wildlife is spectacular, not always in a good way,  and the food is awesome.

Oh yes i agree with this, i do miss the wildlife. I dont find the food any better than here to be fair, for instance the best steak I have ever had was right here. Fresh food is no fresher.

The obsession with sport is bordering on insane, it does seem to take predence over literally everything else. It was even worse years ago when Australia was better than us at most sports. 

9 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Sport is front cover when Aussies not in the hot seat, not news. The usual thing here, when people read newspapers in number, was for the bloke to turn to the back and read the sport. The rest received a glance. A bit cringe worthy but a few things would fit that bill.

The big thing though is the expense. It is hugely expensive in so many things and very sad as this was far from always the case. I for one, consider the working culture not great out here also. Toxic in certain cases and very poorly managed. A pet hate of mine .  But I understand UK has declined as well over the years.

As I have always said 20 odd years ago there is no way in the world I would have said that the UK would be cheaper than Australia, noticeably. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bristolman said:

As I have always said 20 odd years ago there is no way in the world I would have said that the UK would be cheaper than Australia, noticeably. 

Unless you're still comparing prices, in which case #insecure I would respectfully suggest that your point of reference on Australian wages/prices is now more than six years old. In which case #moveonwithlife

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peach said:

Unless you're still comparing prices, in which case #insecure I would respectfully suggest that your point of reference on Australian wages/prices is now more than six years old. In which case #moveonwithlife

Thank you for your concern but I'm OK though. 5 1/2 years. 

15 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I have no axe to grind with either country ...its bits of love/hate with both of them

BUT we had a young family leave our area of the u.k for Sydney about two years ago .

he was management in the car industry , and they took themselves over for a better future for the kids ...understandable .

we have since moved about 2 miles away , and I obviously hadn't seen them ...until yesterday .

They were back after 8 months .....she absolutely loved it for the kids ...the weather ...

he was on good money , but they just couldn't afford to live there .....she said it was so expensive ....they could not gain any traction ...she gave me a few examples which were mind boggling .

I remember oz when it was cheap to live there

so they weighed it all up , she was missing her parents .....luckily he got his job back ...and so they returned , and have now moved to a better area , locally .

• Like 1

I certainly do not agree the food is better. It can be in certain cases, but certainly no guarantee. Why do some use worn clichés? f course buying direct from the farm, will differ from a supermarkets, which are increasingly expensive and of varied quality.

I had to throw away a block of cheese after a few days of purchase, just last week after it went mouldy. I couldn't locate the receipt so couldn't return it.

Eating out is expensive and very much the same. 

14 hours ago, bristolman said:

Quite so. I recall an Australian election, using the cheapness of OZ in an advertising piece, (in West Australian, noted in Australia House in London)  to promote how much cheaper life was compared to UK/Europe.  It would have been the eighties...... Not long after Time Magazine had a cover story reading, "End of the Easy Life Down Under" which I picked up in Asia.

The writing was on the wall then.......but no comparison from then and now. Sad thing is the decline looks to be halting no time soon.

17 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

I certainly do not agree the food is better. It can be in certain cases, but certainly no guarantee. Why do some use worn clichés? f course buying direct from the farm, will differ from a supermarkets, which are increasingly expensive and of varied quality.

I had to throw away a block of cheese after a few days of purchase, just last week after it went mouldy. I couldn't locate the receipt so couldn't return it.

Eating out is expensive and very much the same. 

We went out for an Indian meal last night.  I chose from the vegetarian menu.  OH had the lamb korma.  Very tasty indeed and I think reasonably priced.

http://indiancurrydevonport.com/  and click on the menu.

I only buy smaller portions of cheese from the dairy farm not blocks from a supermarket but really your cheese should not have gone mouldy after a week.

Edited by Toots

19 hours ago, bristolman said:

Oh yes i agree with this, i do miss the wildlife. I dont find the food any better than here to be fair, for instance the best steak I have ever had was right here. Fresh food is no fresher.

The obsession with sport is bordering on insane, it does seem to take predence over literally everything else. It was even worse years ago when Australia was better than us at most sports. 

Insane , especially for one that give a 4xxxx for most things sport. (blunts mental abilities) Real estate was doing its best to put a challenge in, with house values and related topics, to which view wanted to hear the 'down side' (some changes in more recent times duly noted)  

• Like 1