Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

[mention=265287]EmmaGiggles85[/mention] when watching WDU check the date very carefully. Exchange  rate has a massive impact on costs quoted. A bit like watching Location Location Location  thinking wow thats good value then realising the episode is 10 years old?
Ps Geelong will be a lot warmer!

Hahaha yeah luckily i have been doing that! And its crazy seeing the price differences in just a few years! But, i do like watching it incase theres something i havent thought of asking or doing etc xx

Thanks, Emma x

You keep mentioning the blue sky. . .
Seriously leaving everything behind for a "blue sky" is a very superficial way of looking at things.
You'd be better putting the £x0000's it will cost for visas, flights, time out of work, housing, gap training, cash lost on a cack exchange rate etc towards multiple holidays to Spain every year and get your blue sky that way.

That isnt by any means the only reason we want to move, but having nice weather does make me feel happier. The choice of being able to go on a walk without wellies more often etc... might seem trivial to some but it will make a huge difference to us x

Thanks, Emma x

• Like 1

Don't wish to put a dampener on anything here but a couple of things to bear in mind - is your DH a 4 year secondary trained teacher expecting to work as a teacher?  If so, you do realise that getting a permanent job in a place that people actually want to live in can be a tad fraught. If he's Maths/Science he should be OK but other things - don't hold your breath.
Secondly, you say Psychology student.  Does that mean you are just doing honours or are you finishing up a doctorate?  If the latter you should be OK but read up on the trials and tribulations of negotiating AHPRA registration for international arrivals and the problems associated with being a provisional psych.  If the former, then you have a long way to go to becoming a psychologist and that can be expensive to achieve.  Psychologists are ten a penny in Australia, it's the degree of choice for many and it isn't easy to get your feet on any rung of any ladder unless you've got all the qualifications.
You've got a year or so up your sleeve with respect to your eldest - if it isn't going according to plan then you will need to get him back to get on the GCSE merry go round otherwise it gets a tad tricky.
Good luck with it.

Thank you for the good luck wishes! [emoji4]

Although he is qualified as a teacher with the 4 years, he doesnt want to pursue that anymore. We are both willing to work in any job whike still applying for other work anyway. Were not shy of putting in the graft. In regards to myself, i am an honorary student but looking to go into something with the police as im in the crim and forensic route and leaving my options open for further study once in Oz too.

Yeah we are in talks with his school regarding his GCSEs as we woukd prefer him to get them just in case xx

Thanks, Emma x

I suppose we are all different, we came here for the weather and it has been wonderful. In fact we have gone 3 months with no rain and were praying for some which we got today. Maybe it's me but I think everything looks so much nicer when the suns out.

Yeah i feel exactly the same! I just feel more alive haha xx

Thanks, Emma x

As a Englander whose only exposure to Aus was:

Fosters and Castlemaine ads

Home and Away / Neighbours

Crocodile Dundee films

The first time I saw it rain in Sydney - good grief!  It started about 3 in the afternoon and went through to 11 the next day.  It pissed it down so hard it was bouncing up from the pavement - and it stayed at that level of intensity the entire time.

I was not prepared for that at all xD

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

We keep hearing of those that came out in times past. Those days are long gone. Regardless if interest rates were 17% for awhile, house prices were cheap. Wages in many areas were always better than low paid UK so providing one could cope with the distance from those left behind, the loneliness experienced by many, the crudeness often expressed by those with a slightly more sensitive nature, the heat and drinking barns as pubs ,one may well succeed.

In more modern times, unless fairly well minted , it is far from easy to arrive at the same level of material comfort  than previous migrant generations. It will likely take far longer and be harder. Australia is growing in population among the fastest in the developed world. A lot of competition.

Some things are better. There is by and large a greater tolerance. Some of the rough edges once possessed by a large number of Aussies, has been polished to some degree. Not shining but certainly not as raw.

If only we could get costs down though. Prices remain far too high. We were house hunting in a medium WA city (town by other standards) are prices more akin to inner Perth we found wanting. Eating out was darn expensive as well. This wasn't the case fifteen years back. No where near it.

When we came out wages weren't much different to the UK. Me and the wife both took a pay hit. I was out of work for 5 months and my wife ended up back on shift work with weekends thrown in while I looked after the youngster.

When I eventually got a full time job and we were in a position to get a mortgage and not rent, a year had gone by. 

Times are no tougher now.

3 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

When we came out wages weren't much different to the UK. Me and the wife both took a pay hit. I was out of work for 5 months and my wife ended up back on shift work with weekends thrown in while I looked after the youngster.

When I eventually got a full time job and we were in a position to get a mortgage and not rent, a year had gone by. 

Times are no tougher now.

But many others didn't take a pay cut. Looked at a house in Albany a couple of days ago. Research showed it went for $50,000 in 1989. A few years before your time, I know, but only a few years. Asking price now $810,000. Now convince me things are not way out of sync.

15 hours ago, Flavourshaker said:

You keep mentioning the blue sky. . .

Seriously leaving everything behind for a "blue sky" is a very superficial way of looking at things.

You'd be better putting the £x0000's it will cost for visas, flights, time out of work, housing, gap training, cash lost on a cack exchange rate etc towards multiple holidays to Spain every year and get your blue sky that way.

Might be to you but that was right up there in our reasons for coming. You have to get up in the mornings and seeing that blue sky most days still puts a spring in our step. It's a massive reason.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Might be to you but that was right up there in our reasons for coming. You have to get up in the mornings and seeing that blue sky most days still puts a spring in our step. It's a massive reason.

I agree blue skies do help. Warmer weather is better for ageing bones at a certain stage of life. Extremities do little good though, unless one particularly prefers such conditions one way or the other.  Easier to be homeless in the warm as well if all goes belly up. Although never easy to be in such a state of course.

But overall I would take a holistic look at the wider picture, especially if kids are aboard as greater stress possibly for things to fall into place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

But many others didn't take a pay cut. Looked at a house in Albany a couple of days ago. Research showed it went for $50,000 in 1989. A few years before your time, I know, but only a few years. Asking price now $810,000. Now convince me things are not way out of sync.

That must be some sort of house in Albany. Still Out of our price range now.

I'm  just looking at the Australian paper and the median price in Sydney, where it's crazy is 909,613. Perth is 462,783. Albany would be cheaper than Perth wouldn't it? 

Buy and hold and you won't be disappointed in any of the major capital cities.

I paid $225K 20 years ago and was really worried about taking such a big mortgage of about $175K.

Now my house is paid off and worth $1.5M and I have security, so my advice is go for it even over extend a bit more than you feel comfortable.

In years to come you will be very happy you did.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Parley said:

Buy and hold and you won't be disappointed in any of the major capital cities.

I paid $225K 20 years ago and was really worried about taking such a big mortgage of about $175K.

Now my house is paid off and worth $1.5M and I have security, so my advice is go for it even over extend a bit more than you feel comfortable.

In years to come you will be very happy you did.

Same for us.  We bought our house in Sydney for $200K in 1990 and had a mortgage of $100K. We sold it for over a million but we did do a lot to it over the years - lots of renovations etc.  Helped set us up for our retirement.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone! Even though there has been some negative feeback, i do feel more confident in our decision to go! I mean, it doesnt have to be forever does it?!

What does it matter if in 5 years time we still havent settled or feel like its not for us? We can just come back, but at least we would have had an awesome adventure!

Plus, that pit in our stomachs will have gone and we will forever know we tried and it didnt work. Or we may be the opposite and create more opportunities for the kids and settle amazingly!

Yeah the kids may grow up and venture off into other parts of the world etc etc.... but to be honest, although i would be devastated at that prospect, i would be increadibly proud of them for being brave enough to take that plunge! (Plus it would mean more holidays for us as we get older haha) xx

Thanks, Emma x

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, EmmaGiggles85 said:

Thank you everyone! Even though there has been some negative feeback, i do feel more confident in our decision to go! I mean, it doesnt have to be forever does it?!

What does it matter if in 5 years time we still havent settled or feel like its not for us? We can just come back, but at least we would have had an awesome adventure!

Plus, that pit in our stomachs will have gone and we will forever know we tried and it didnt work. Or we may be the opposite and create more opportunities for the kids and settle amazingly!

Yeah the kids may grow up and venture off into other parts of the world etc etc.... but to be honest, although i would be devastated at that prospect, i would be increadibly proud of them for being brave enough to take that plunge! (Plus it would mean more holidays for us as we get older haha) xx

Thanks, Emma x

Good attitude Emma!  :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

Same for us.  We bought our house in Sydney for $200K in 1990 and had a mortgage of $100K. We sold it for over a million but we did do a lot to it over the years - lots of renovations etc.  Helped set us up for our retirement.

We had a house in one of the mining towns  of WA and an investment property all mortgage free ...sold at the right time and made  a lot of money.. we were lucky we got out before the downturn. The first house was a company house bought for $40,000 and sold for $800,000 .... lady luck!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Evandale said:

We had a house in one of the mining towns  of WA and an investment property all mortgage free ...sold at the right time and made  a lot of money.. we were lucky we got out before the downturn. The first house was a company house bought for $40,000 and sold for $800,000 .... lady luck!

Wow!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

That must be some sort of house in Albany. Still Out of our price range now.

I'm  just looking at the Australian paper and the median price in Sydney, where it's crazy is 909,613. Perth is 462,783. Albany would be cheaper than Perth wouldn't it? 

You would think wouldn't you? The house in question is central located within city limits but never mind reality escapes some. But inspected others in the region of $580,000 to $ 750,000, close to beach in the so called 'dress circle' down there. Prices are far less further afield in outer suburbs . From around $300,000 even a little less foe an almost liveable old build. Crazy I know and close to prices in Perth inner city. I don't get it apart from people 'trying it' on and not being serious.

Perhaps they are hoping on rich South Africans buying, as their numbers are on the rise there. Quite a few Brit's as well. A number I spoke with moved there from Perth to retire. It is WA's prime holiday city and a lot of new development has gone up and more in the process. Still few jobs, I'd have thought, at least outside of construction. Health and social care being the main job providers.

WA's closest place in resemblance to Eastbourne perhaps? (in its aged population, although the retired folk look healthier in Albany) More women than men as well. Could be an ideal location for gals to set up house together?

1 hour ago, Evandale said:

Lady luck indeed. Heaps lost out big time when prices went belly up knocking off hundreds of thousands. Not only that but large numbers unable to even get a rental income.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Lady luck indeed. Heaps lost out big time when prices went belly up knocking off hundreds of thousands. Not only that but large numbers unable to even get a rental income.

Housing equates the craziness of the gun lobby in my book in the Australian context. Something that should have very long ago have been brought under control and not allowed to flame out of control like a wild fire. While some may appear to benefit, indeed some became very rich, something essential in life, should never have been allowed to become a gambling pawn.

1 minute ago, Pura Vida said:

Housing equates the craziness of the gun lobby in my book in the Australian context. Something that should have very long ago have been brought under control and not allowed to flame out of control like a wild fire. While some may appear to benefit, indeed some became very rich, something essential in life, should never have been allowed to become a gambling pawn.

The old adage supply and demand.. and in many ways Thatcher's selling off the council houses at very low prices with owners making their fortune is no different!

2 minutes ago, Evandale said:

The old adage supply and demand.. and in many ways Thatcher's selling off the council houses at very low prices with owners making their fortune is no different!

Well that was very wrong. Why should public housing paid out of taxes enrich a few? A great number where sold  of at a rather large profit on the free market when allowed as well. Supply and demand? Well housing is a business in Australia. Not sure how many want those flats that have been built somewhat poorly, over recent decades, apart from overseas investors. Or if the population Ponzi bubble was allowed to burst and the most revolutionary ideas returned. That being of course a house is a place to live in and find security and comfort and raise a family and not be a gambling chip. Nor the topic of endless boring conversation.

But back on topic. Why are so many returning?  Many Brit's in Australia are ageing. I expect with some, it is a desire to return to the country of their youth to spend out their remaining days. A trip in nostalgia perhaps?  Not always the best of reasons but there are worse.

Many are cashed up. Having purchased when times where cheap they have seen their property, which may well be quite ordinary, inflate considerably over especially the past decade. Hence they can return as cash buyers with money to spare.

The falling GBP gives the Aussie dollar more clout over there. Some think now or perhaps never. The Aussie$ has exceeded all expectations in retaining value.

Some may even have fallen for the ramblings of the Brexit camp and Britain becoming 'great' again blah blah....

I know some left due to immigration in the sixties, a little different from the present immigration rants , as many thought coloureds were about to take over the country. Well Australia has changed its face considerably from those days and just perhaps some of those fears are now the rapid change here.

Some Brit's never really settled. Varied reasons. Some more valid than others, but all valid to the individual concerned.

Others perhaps kids left for better overseas opportunities and parents don't fancy getting old alone in Australia. (I know a case of this)

Others simply bored and want more from life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pura Vida said:

Others simply bored and want more from life.

...and then you get those like Bob J who is happy with his "lot" probably never has stooped over a 1 bar electric fire, guaranteed sunshine for the best part of the year, fish a plenty on the table, who wouldnt recognise boredom if you slapped his face with its tail... its a good job we all differ eh! lol

• Like 2