Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

On 30 September 2017 at 12:12, EmmaGiggles85 said:

I dont know if ive put this in the correct forum or not, but im getting a bit unnerved reading so many posts about poms moving back to the UK.

We are in the early process of applying for permanent visas etc as some of you may be aware from previous posts on here. The OH and i feel silly enough that we have never visited Oz and yet feel like we belong there.... but doubt has set in over such a huge decision and when i come on here, all i see at the moment are poms desperately trying to get back home. So obviously my niggling doubt of uprooting our three sons is setting in and taking note of these posts.

All friends and family are pro emigrate and we dont receive much help from family or friends here for us to miss it in Oz. All family and friends that matter are already making plans to visit anyway emoji23.png and we just feel a huge pull there (melbourne).

Are we just completely mad and naive?? Xx

Thanks, Emma x

I came to Aussie family inMelbourne 30 years agowithout having visited. I think if i had been for a holiday before i would not have emigrated. Melbourne is a huge impersonal city. Most people seem to be here for a few years then move back or move on. I would visit first!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 05:37, Scousers1 said:

I came to Aussie family inMelbourne 30 years agowithout having visited. I think if i had been for a holiday before i would not have emigrated. Melbourne is a huge impersonal city. Most people seem to be here for a few years then move back or move on. I would visit first!

We came out 36 years ago, without having visited, and did not "move on".  There were 7 families on our flight, all emigrating, and only one family returned to the UK, and that was after about 6 weeks. All the rest are still here. If you have figures showing that most people move on, I would like to see them.   If you want to see it as being impersonal, of course you will. If you like many others want to immerse yourself in its culture, its beauty, its vibrancy, its friendliness, you will see a far from impersonal city. Sure it is huge for its population, but it is a city with space, that did not grow upwards, but outwards, and though the traffic system leaves a lot to be desired, I would rather work with what there is here,  than face of terrifying commutes on roads in the U.K.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Celt Down Under said:

We came out 36 years ago, without having visited, and did not "move on".  There were 7 families on our flight, all emigrating, and only one family returned to the UK, and that was after about 6 weeks. All the rest are still here. If you have figures showing that most people move on, I would like to see them.   If you want to see it as being impersonal, of course you will. If you like many others want to immerse yourself in its culture, its beauty, its vibrancy, its friendliness, you will see a far from impersonal city. Sure it is huge for its population, but it is a city with space, that did not grow upwards, but outwards, and though the traffic system leaves a lot to be desired, I would rather work with what there is here,  than face of terrifying commutes on roads in the U.K.

Terrifying commutes on roads in the UK lol. What do you imagine commuting is like here ? Do you think people run the gauntlet every time they get behind the wheel lol. The absolute worst commute I have ever had was from my home on the Southside of Brisbane to work on the North. Terrifying commutes lol

9 minutes ago, Celt Down Under said:

Don’t know why, but I always imagined that you were living in Sydney.

1 hour ago, Celt Down Under said:

wouldn't start a debate about your post , but do about 200 miles a day around the west midlands ,never a problem , unless you come across people who are not used to the motorway

the roads are busy , but people are generally courteous

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Celt Down Under said:

We have been very unlucky then. The family we came to which was uncle from uk , aussie wife and kids none are in Melbourne now even though born here. Their cousin who we lived with for four years now in Brisbane. Everyone of the mothers group live interstate and overseas. Friends through pomsinoz which was about 50 in the group there is my family and one other single lady in Melbourne now, i could go on. Neighbours interstate now, it does look like we have been incredably unlucky.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

We have been very unlucky then. The family we came to which was uncle from uk , aussie wife and kids none are in Melbourne now even though born here. Their cousin who we lived with for four years now in Brisbane. Everyone of the mothers group live interstate and overseas. Friends through pomsinoz which was about 50 in the group there is my family and one other single lady in Melbourne now, i could go on. Neighbours interstate now, it does look like we have been incredably unlucky.

I must admit most Victorians we knew seem to have headed North to Queensland or only as far as Sydney. We lived in Melbourne for 12 months, that was plenty ?

2 hours ago, bristolman said:

I must admit most Victorians we knew seem to have headed North to Queensland or only as far as Sydney. We lived in Melbourne for 12 months, that was plenty ?

Really?  My cousin and his family migrated to Melbourne over 20 years ago and settled well and don't want to leave the place.  Of the Victorians I know, they all seem content.  I wouldn't live in Queensland but that's just me.  On the other hand It's nice for a holiday and I dare say lots of folk think the same about Tasmania.  Many Tasmanians spend the winters in Queensland.  Different strokes for different folks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Really?  My cousin and his family migrated to Melbourne over 20 years ago and settled well and don't want to leave the place.  Of the Victorians I know, they all seem content.  I wouldn't live in Queensland but that's just me.  On the other hand It's nice for a holiday and I dare say lots of folk think the same about Tasmania.  Many Tasmanians spend the winters in Queensland.  Different strokes for different folks.  

Funny how Melbournes always up there in the most liveable cities?

Not my cup of tea but it's been OK when I've visited.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul1Perth said:

As cities go it's not a bad place at all.  I'm not a city person but I've always enjoyed visiting Melbourne.  I'd like to know who puts those lists together e.g. most liveable city?  What suits one person doesn't suit another.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bristolman said:

you have to put into perspective though ...it is the worlds most liveable city ..but it did nothing for me ....must go again though , as I may have missed something .

it be that we flew in straight from w.a ....just different

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

the most liveable cities , like the most liveable countries , are probably in europe .

17 minutes ago, unzippy said:

And from what I've seen, Melbourne is the most like a European city.

Melbourne has retained many of its old buildings unlike Sydney and Brisbane where they were bulldozed in the 60s and 70s to make way for boring highrises.  Melbourne has excellent coffee shops, restaurants and decent pubs also good theatres.   

Edited by Toots
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Toots said:

As cities go it's not a bad place at all.  I'm not a city person but I've always enjoyed visiting Melbourne.  I'd like to know who puts those lists together e.g. most liveable city?  What suits one person doesn't suit another.  

Whilst the  most liveable it's  currently the 6th most expensive for real estate. So  great place for  millionaires to move to. Personally I don't  count living in a suburb more than half an hour away as living in the city.

• Like 2

[mention=265287]EmmaGiggles85[/mention] I hope you haven't been put off posting. Unfortunately many many threads end up this way. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch x 

Thanks! Currently very busy in university at the mo so when i come on here there are lots of messages that have been written and i am trying to trapse through them all haha
Doesnt help that most of them are just arguments about the most irrelevant stuff and im just scrolling past with the popcorn ??
  • Like 2