Why am i reading so many "moving back to the UK posts??

EmmaGiggles85

45 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

my daughter was born in oz , and iam trying to take time out and visit .

she has had videos arrive from family in oz ....she isn't keen ?

honestly don't know why ...i could spend time in both places ...

Our boys have not the slightest inclination to go back to Australia for a visit, actually one wants to visit a friend he is still in touch with but thats all. 

I could happily spend a month or so there every now and then, I just have too much going on here really though. 

1 hour ago, FeralBeryl said:

Errr. Whatever. Of course there is many many reasons why people return. But from my own personal experience (after all, that is all I can talk from), people return because they miss their family and/or cannot hack it here. I apologise if you dislike the term 'hack it', but I use that term a lot.

Australia was very good to me , and i miss certain aspects a lot .

but there is a third aspect ,other than missing family and couldn't hack it .

I will call it " obligation " ...or a sense of

quoll and scottiegirl are going through it right now .

that question is " who puts their hand up ,and looks after the elderly parents in the u.k " , if you are in Australia ....well somebody has to .

if your mom or dad cant get to the shops or the doctors or post a letter or sort out a bill ..who does all that ?

its not a dig at anyone , but someone has to do it .

its often the dirty job , that people sympathise and umm and ahh about , but never actually put their hand up .

as a son or daughter , it comes with being part of a family ....and a very necessary job as your parents get older .

so , in relation to Australia , I could very much hack it , but I have different priorities right now

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

so , in relation to Australia , I could very much hack it , but I have different priorities right now

??????????

Oh my Godfathers. Who would have thought a simple little term "hack it", that I use on a regular basis in my every day life, could seemingly get so many knickers in a knot!

3 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

??????????

Oh my Godfathers. Who would have thought a simple little term "hack it", that I use on a regular basis in my every day life, could seemingly get so many knickers in a knot!

Im not sure anyones knickers are in a knot, people are just replying to something you said. 

1 minute ago, FeralBeryl said:

??????????

with all due respect ...dont use it then ....it has a different meaning for you , than for others .

over here " couldn't hack it " means you threw the towel in

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Australia was very good to me , and i miss certain aspects a lot .

but there is a third aspect ,other than missing family and couldn't hack it .

I will call it " obligation " ...or a sense of

quoll and scottiegirl are going through it right now .

that question is " who puts their hand up ,and looks after the elderly parents in the u.k " , if you are in Australia ....well somebody has to .

if your mom or dad cant get to the shops or the doctors or post a letter or sort out a bill ..who does all that ?

its not a dig at anyone , but someone has to do it .

its often the dirty job , that people sympathise and umm and ahh about , but never actually put their hand up .

as a son or daughter , it comes with being part of a family ....and a very necessary job as your parents get older .

Also along these lines, although we aren't needed to look after older family members at the moment, there have been a couple of health scares for close family members recently, and us being at the other side of the planet has been hard on everyone.  True enough, we didn't move close to family in the UK as they don't live in places that we want to live in and OH was offered a good job opportunity up here, but OH or I could still get on a flight at Edinburgh and be in Birmingham or Kent within three or so hours.  This is vastly more manageable than it was when we lived in Sydney.  When my dad died, I was in Cambridge and mum was in Birmingham, and although it took three hours on the train, I could still be there fairly promptly.  It didn't take days to organise and 24 hours to get there.

We enjoyed living in Sydney for the most part and we had a great time there, but there came a point that the cons of living there just outweighed the pros.

• Like 1

Honestly if the term "hack it" gets your hackles up, then you need to take a deep breathe and take a chill pill. A couple of aums may assist the process to calm down. What a very weird response I have had over nothing. I have said it before and I will say it again........ there's nowt so queer as folk.

7 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

Honestly if the term "hack it" gets your hackles up, then you need to take a deep breathe and take a chill pill. A couple of aums may assist the process to calm down. What a very weird response I have had over nothing. I have said it before and I will say it again........ there's nowt so queer as folk.

Again, Im not sure anyones hackles are up, people have merely commented on something you said. 

16 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

it doesnt get my back up ?...this is an internet forum

its the actual aggression in reply that gives the game away

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

its the actual aggression in reply that gives the game away

Well not sure what game you are referring to?! I thought the replies to me were quite aggressive. Over practically nothing too. However, lucky I was warned about this site before I joined. Been told certain members love to bicker for no apparent reason.

41 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

Yes but in a very strange manner.e

You will get used to this sort of thing on the forum Beryl.  

What bunbury said is true though.  Some forum members are back in the UK to care for elderly, frail parents.  Some are back because they prefer life there after living in Australia.  Australia doesn't suit everyone and some are back because they are homesick and missed family and friends.  

You will see a lot of Australia versus UK stuff happening.  It can get very boring and childish when it occurs.  

Other than that I hope you will enjoy the forum.  :)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

carry on , no one is stopping you

??

Well why are you all whining about it then?

Posting replies about different priorities and defending your decisions, and asking me to stop using the word hack.

Now you tell me I can carry on and no-one is stopping me!!

Far out. My friend was certainly NOT joking when he mentioned the bickering.

This is too funny. :):)

As I said before this thread got off track. People leave for many many different reasons. Some are homesick, some need to look after elderly parents, some find it too expensive to live here, some are lonely, and some cannot hack it due to the heat, or the wildlife or the isolation. Hack is simply another word for coping.

Not sure why this needs further discussion.

2 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

??

Well why are you all whining about it then?

Posting replies about different priorities and defending your decisions, and asking me to stop using the word hack.

Now you tell me I can carry on and no-one is stopping me!!

Far out. My friend was certainly NOT joking when he mentioned the bickering.

This is too funny. :):)

As I said before this thread got off track. People leave for many many different reasons. Some are homesick, some need to look after elderly parents, some find it too expensive to live here, some are lonely, and some cannot hack it due to the heat, or the wildlife or the isolation. Hack is simply another word for coping.

Not sure why this needs further discussion.

Excellent!  Subject closed then I hope    .........................................  or will someone else be along hoping to get the last word.  :sleep:

5 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Aggressive ? Not that I can see. In fairness it might appear to be you that is bickering perhaps. 

Ho hum.

Your reputation precedes you Bristolman. I have been pre-warned about you by two ex-forum members. Didn't take you long to pop up either. I had only been a member for about five minutes when that happened!

Thank you Toots - I will certainly try to enjoy the forum. And also try to avoid those boring Australia versus the UK stuff, you ware warning me about.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toots said:

You will get used to this sort of thing on the forum 

You will see a lot of Australia versus UK stuff happening.  It can get very boring and childish when it occurs.  

Other than that I hope you will enjoy the forum.  :)

Not sure FB will stay on the forum, think she may not be able to hack it ???

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FeralBeryl said:

Ho hum.

Your reputation precedes you Bristolman. I have been pre-warned about you by two ex-forum members. Didn't take you long to pop up either. I had only been a member for about five minutes when that happened!

Thank you Toots - I will certainly try to enjoy the forum. And also try to avoid those boring Australia versus the UK stuff, you ware warning me about.

Haha, well there you go, you have met me now. Its almost like you have been here before ?