So Good To Be Back In The UK

Redtop1

On 10/2/2017 at 23:35, grizzly111 said:

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions of where to start looking in Devon (in terms of a good area)?

Since I closed my bank account in the UK years ago and don't have work history there I'm not sure how I will go about convincing the bank to lend until I find work (so renting will be the initial option).

What is your situation going to be? Retired and cashed up from sale of Aus home and able to be mortgage free? Needing to work in a certain profession and therefore would want to be located nearer a large town or city? School aged kids? Teens? Something else?

Do you want coastal or inland? Can you drive (as bus routes round Devon can be pretty poor)? 

I can think of a lot of places but depends on your sort of preferences. For example, Dartmouth is lovely. It is also quite cut off from other places in that its a ferry crossing and a drive to the nearest main towns (Torquay or Paignton) and a fair inland drive to get to Totnes. All of these areas in the summer months see a huge influx of tourists and traffic. Driving anywhere around that way can take a while and add a fair bit of time onto your drive, especially on weekends or changeover days. Queues for the ferry crossings can be a while. Getting a park in town itself on a summers day can be nigh on impossible. Or paid and only for an hour or some such. Its hilly and so if you opt to walk into town for shopping etc need to be prepared for a walk (or bus) uphill to get home again if you were to live up on the hill or over it a ways. Its popularity as a holiday town also means its housing market is pretty pricey and for anything near to the town itself you are talking a fair whack of cash. I think its well overpriced because of the demand for holiday homes and if I was looking to buy around there I'd perhaps look over the river at Kingswear to see if there was something there that got me more house for my money. 

In winter the smaller towns are often far more empty as many are now second homes and rented out of the summer season for silly money and empty or perhaps a short term winter let or some such. It can have a huge impact on the feel of a place and will also see the seasonal employment wrap up and also many of the seasonal shops and stores close up except perhaps on on weekends or around Christmas. It can feel very cut off or ghost town like, especially outside of summer. Some that is appealing, others not so.

Torquay can be nice if you are in the right area. Although its hilly and you'd probably not want to live too far out if you don't drive. 

I personally find many of the smaller coastal towns, both north and south coast really crap in winter. I find them pretty bad in summer too but then I spent a large chunk of years down that way and know what I like and don't like about Devon. Sure some can look pretty but it needs far more than that to make me want to live there again. 

Inland, different again. I lived in a fair few places and its chalk and cheese with coastal living. I much prefer it in terms of lifestyle but of course, the drawback is work. Getting it and perhaps sometimes facing a long commute. Some areas are again popular with tourists, but often all year round, although quieter in winter. But Dartmoor, Exmoor and the like will see people visit all year round. For living they can be amazing but are also pretty harsh places to live in winter and houses can cost a small fortune. Work wise, well, see above. 

I'd suggest focusing on Exeter or Taunton and going out from those. I realise Taunton is in Somerset but you can live over the border in Devon and be within 40-45 minutes of the town. Exeter gives you coastal and inland town and village options also. Taunton is going to be landlocked I'd expect as coastal options are probably too far away to be realistic if you want to be nearer a town. 

Personally, as an adult I was happiest in Mid Devon for a fair few years (although Dartmoor was also fab but tourists and costs there were silly). Rural but it suited me/us. Loved it. But its not for everyone. I didn't mind a 4 mile round trip for a pint of milk or the nearest pub when we fancied a meal. Nor a 45 minute round trip for the nearest Chinese takeout (meant we never ate it :rolleyes: but that was ok) or nearest large town and some shops for clothes, white goods, shoes etc. Nearest village/town to us only had a small store, bakers, butchers and grocers pretty much. Which was fine for the food aspect but the rest I had to go elsewhere. Would do one huge shop a month at the big town and had 3 huge freezers to be able to bulk buy and stock up. 

40 minutes ago, snifter said:

What is your situation going to be? Retired and cashed up from sale of Aus home and able to be mortgage free? Needing to work in a certain profession and therefore would want to be located nearer a large town or city? School aged kids? Teens? Something else?

Do you want coastal or inland? Can you drive (as bus routes round Devon can be pretty poor)? 

I can think of a lot of places but depends on your sort of preferences. For example, Dartmouth is lovely. It is also quite cut off from other places in that its a ferry crossing and a drive to the nearest main towns (Torquay or Paignton) and a fair inland drive to get to Totnes. All of these areas in the summer months see a huge influx of tourists and traffic. Driving anywhere around that way can take a while and add a fair bit of time onto your drive, especially on weekends or changeover days. Queues for the ferry crossings can be a while. Getting a park in town itself on a summers day can be nigh on impossible. Or paid and only for an hour or some such. Its hilly and so if you opt to walk into town for shopping etc need to be prepared for a walk (or bus) uphill to get home again if you were to live up on the hill or over it a ways. Its popularity as a holiday town also means its housing market is pretty pricey and for anything near to the town itself you are talking a fair whack of cash. I think its well overpriced because of the demand for holiday homes and if I was looking to buy around there I'd perhaps look over the river at Kingswear to see if there was something there that got me more house for my money. 

In winter the smaller towns are often far more empty as many are now second homes and rented out of the summer season for silly money and empty or perhaps a short term winter let or some such. It can have a huge impact on the feel of a place and will also see the seasonal employment wrap up and also many of the seasonal shops and stores close up except perhaps on on weekends or around Christmas. It can feel very cut off or ghost town like, especially outside of summer. Some that is appealing, others not so.

Torquay can be nice if you are in the right area. Although its hilly and you'd probably not want to live too far out if you don't drive. 

I personally find many of the smaller coastal towns, both north and south coast really crap in winter. I find them pretty bad in summer too but then I spent a large chunk of years down that way and know what I like and don't like about Devon. Sure some can look pretty but it needs far more than that to make me want to live there again. 

Inland, different again. I lived in a fair few places and its chalk and cheese with coastal living. I much prefer it in terms of lifestyle but of course, the drawback is work. Getting it and perhaps sometimes facing a long commute. Some areas are again popular with tourists, but often all year round, although quieter in winter. But Dartmoor, Exmoor and the like will see people visit all year round. For living they can be amazing but are also pretty harsh places to live in winter and houses can cost a small fortune. Work wise, well, see above. 

I'd suggest focusing on Exeter or Taunton and going out from those. I realise Taunton is in Somerset but you can live over the border in Devon and be within 40-45 minutes of the town. Exeter gives you coastal and inland town and village options also. Taunton is going to be landlocked I'd expect as coastal options are probably too far away to be realistic if you want to be nearer a town. 

Personally, as an adult I was happiest in Mid Devon for a fair few years (although Dartmoor was also fab but tourists and costs there were silly). Rural but it suited me/us. Loved it. But its not for everyone. I didn't mind a 4 mile round trip for a pint of milk or the nearest pub when we fancied a meal. Nor a 45 minute round trip for the nearest Chinese takeout (meant we never ate it :rolleyes: but that was ok) or nearest large town and some shops for clothes, white goods, shoes etc. Nearest village/town to us only had a small store, bakers, butchers and grocers pretty much. Which was fine for the food aspect but the rest I had to go elsewhere. Would do one huge shop a month at the big town and had 3 huge freezers to be able to bulk buy and stock up. 

great post snifter .

I was in Exeter recently ...very nice , a few bob has been spent .

I was also in Torquay , last week .

again , money has been spent .

But if I personally had to pick a larger town in Devon , it would be Exeter .

you have a nice town centre , the airport for those European holidays , and the the rugby union side are leading the way .

Exeter had a nice feel to it , for family living

8 hours ago, Tobymarco said:

hi,  just found this forum and all your posts are invaluable to us.  I am South African and my husband is orginally from the Uk.  we have lived in Australia for 22 years but have no family in Australia and are looking at moving to the UK as that is where most of our family is.  All my husbands family are there and my sister is in the UK too.  I have a British passport.We have just returned from a month in the UK and I am happy to move there.

We have 2 dogs and I see that your furbabies made the trip Ok.  Who did you use?  We are in Newcastle just 2 hours north of Sydney and i have already had a quote from Jetpets. would you do anything diffent with the move for the dogs or where you very happy with how you did it.  its possibly my biggest stress is moving the dogs..I have moved countires once before so that is not a issue.  its more the fur babies. It was very reassuring to read about your move and how easy it was.         

Hi and welcome.

Many of us have taken dogs back to the UK. I took the little devil you see in my avatar.

Jetpets are popular though we used Dogtainers who were fantastic. We had emails and photos throughout and they helped a huge amount. Particularly when 3 days before his flight the airline put a ban on all animals. But they sorted it with no stress to us.

They seem to travel very well. We were very worried about it as he is very tiny and very sensitive and spends 24/7 with my wife. But, he was fine. Hungry, as because he needs medication to eat, he couldn't be fed, though he had all the water he needed. I actually think he had a better flight than us! Probably just slept, which is more than we did.

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 23:39, Redtop1 said:

We have been back 2 months now, didn't realise how happy I would be to be back.

It is great to be back home.

Nice to hear another success story.  You did the right thing by getting out of that place and coming back to freedom again !!   Sure beats groundhog day in a stinking hot brick & colourbond suburb in the most isolated place in the world.  There is just so much to do here.  You can only take so many patio barbies in life.

• Like 2

That is so encouraging to hear.  Thank you!  We are returning as soon as the house is sold.  Animals are all organized to go too and we're selling just about everything.  I have waited many many decades for this.  Couldn't go as parents were elderly and we couldn't leave them.  Now I'm elderly too but better late than never.  Australia is a good country and many Brits feel a sense of belonging here but I just didn't....   One of my siblings has already gone back and he said it's the most magical feeling to know he's back where he belongs and doesn't have to miss it any more!!!  

• Like 5

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 07:31, Beckfield said:

That is so encouraging to hear.  Thank you!  We are returning as soon as the house is sold.  Animals are all organized to go too and we're selling just about everything.  I have waited many many decades for this.  Couldn't go as parents were elderly and we couldn't leave them.  Now I'm elderly too but better late than never.  Australia is a good country and many Brits feel a sense of belonging here but I just didn't....   One of my siblings has already gone back and he said it's the most magical feeling to know he's back where he belongs and doesn't have to miss it any more!!!  

That's the feeling you will never get when you live away out there in that place, not ever.   That's feeling of just belonging and the sense of freedom that comes with it.   You are doing the right thing by getting out of there.

• Like 2

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 07:31, Beckfield said:

in my opinion , Australia is a great country .

it just doesn't suit everybody .

some people are happy with a nice house , weather and the beach .

I always thought Tha would be enough for me .

ultimately , it wasn't .

That was my issue , not australias .

6 months in each place would be ideal ?

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies!

I also don't feel a sense of belonging in Australia BUT am very wary that I may be initially treated/feel like an alien in the UK!

Yes, we would be looking to initially rent then purchase a small place in a good area somewhere in Devon but preferably not on the beachfront. Inland would be preferable to us due to a lower amount of maintenance needed. We will hopefully be cashed up from sale of assets in Australia. We are in our 30's so still would like to work as we are both professionally qualified and have worked in our business for years. Either we go back to Uni in the UK (although uni fees have gone up a lot since I last looked!) and do something applicable & interesting or may look to purchase a small business with any luck. 

Edited by grizzly111

7 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

ultimately , it wasn't .

and If I had my choice , I wouldn't be living on the edge of Birmingham either ? ...needs must

43 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

and If I had my choice , I wouldn't be living on the edge of Birmingham either ? ...needs must

Living close to any city wouldn't be my choice either to be fair. There are lots of smaller really nice towns and villages in the area though. Is a move a little further out not an option ? 

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

ultimately , it wasn't .

I've always said Australian can be a great country to live if it gives you what you are looking for. It didn't give us that unfortunately. 

Maybe 3 months there and 9 months here for us ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beckfield said:

@bunbury61  Yes, I agree with what you say.  There's also an element of anxiety in that we've lived here so long now, what if I get home and feel like an alien.  O well I've felt like an alien a lot of the time here too.  Maybe I am one!  :)

a word of advice .

chances are you will never be truly settled...100%.

if you are that way , you will just have to accept it .

I envy the people that land ,either way ,and settle in .

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 15:13, bristolman said:

Living close to any city wouldn't be my choice either to be fair. There are lots of smaller really nice towns and villages in the area though. Is a move a little further out not an option ? 

no ...we have still got my mom up the road ,Bristol.

she I nearly 90 now .

don't get me wrong ,Solihull is a fantastic place to live , honestly as good as anywhere i have been .but it has a boil on its arse called Birmingham .

iam a brummie, but boy have they fucked this place up .

I could quite happily move into Warwickshire or even parts of Worcestershire

I get to see the shite...but then I get to work in places like these in Warwickshire ..

englands little gem ?

WP_20171011_13_27_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20171003_11_12_07_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

no ...we have still got my mom up the road ,Bristol.

she I nearly 90 now .

don't get me wrong ,Solihull is a fantastic place to live , honestly as good as anywhere i have been .but it has a boil on its arse called Birmingham .

iam a brummie, but boy have they fucked this place up .

I could quite happily move into Warwickshire or even parts of Worcestershire

I get to see the shite...but then I get to work in places like these in Warwickshire ..

englands little gem ?

WP_20171011_13_27_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20171003_11_12_07_Pro.jpg

Yes I agree, very similar here in Herefordshire, mostly countryside, woods, villages etc with very little traffic. Living the dream:)

On 10/10/2017 at 15:13, bristolman said:

Love Birmingham Centre, so many comedy clubs and a cafe outside culture in the summer, some fantastic old pubs selling great beers, gin palaces and some top class restaurants and theater's , the city centre is so clean and updated than when I first came..

15 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Love Birmingham Centre, so many comedy clubs and a cafe outside culture in the summer, some fantastic old pubs selling great beers, gin palaces and some top class restaurants and theater's , the city centre is so clean and updated than when I first came..

It's rare but I agree with you, Birmingham is a really nice place now, the city centre at least. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 20:51, bristolman said:

It's rare but I agree with you, Birmingham is a really nice place now, the city centre at least. 

its 10x better than it was in the 60s -70s ...the city centre was a shithole ,where the city centre ringroad had been built on the Detroit idea , where car was king .

the people made there way through dodgy subways which stank of all sorts , whilst the cars travelled above

they have reversed that to an extent now .

its just the inner city areas now , but that can be said for many inner cities across the globe , I suppose .

our transport service is very decent ....its certainly better than it was .

• Like 1

Just now, bunbury61 said:

its 10x better than it was in the 60s -70s ...the city centre was a shithole ,where the city centre ringroad had been built on the Detroit idea , where car was king .

the people made there way through dodgy subways which stank of all sorts , whilst the cars travelled above

they have reversed that to an extent now .

its just the inner city areas now , but that can be said for many inner cities across the globe , I suppose .

our transport service is very decent ....its certainly better than it was .

as an aside my Aussie born daughter has just got back from the u.s .

she loved the veneer places as I call them ...disneyland and Vegas , but the difference between rich and poor really upset her, even in places like hollywood .....she certainly wouldn't swap the u.k for the u.s ....she was glad to e home in good old blighty

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

as an aside my Aussie born daughter has just got back from the u.s .

she loved the veneer places as I call them ...disneyland and Vegas , but the difference between rich and poor really upset her, even in places like hollywood .....she certainly wouldn't swap the u.k for the u.s ....she was glad to e home in good old blighty

We found the same in Florida, the poor were extremely poor and not like those who cry poor in this country. Standing on street corners holding pieces of cardboard saying Will work for food. A different world. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

We found the same in Florida, the poor were extremely poor and not like those who cry poor in this country. Standing on street corners holding pieces of cardboard saying Will work for food. A different world. 

you are right Bristol .

we saw in Santa Monica .

people driving high end cars ,and not 20 yards away ,people were living under cardboard .

and before anyone jumps in , that was under Barack Obama presidency , not Donald trumps

5 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

you are right Bristol .

we saw in Santa Monica .

people driving high end cars ,and not 20 yards away ,people were living under cardboard .

and before anyone jumps in , that was under Barack Obama presidency , not Donald trumps

the US has been like that for donkey's years.  It was certainly like that when I lived there in the early 70s.  Nothing much has changed and it probably never will no matter who is president.