WA Driving licence

stevej

Hi There,

I have searched the threads and struggled to find clarification on the specifics so hoping someone can help.

Im trying to find out what ID documents i will need to provide to exchange my Full UK driving licence cat A & B to a WA cat R&C licence.

The WA website does link to a document showing lists a, b, c and D but im not sure how i would be able to satisfy enough of these when only being in the country a few months.

Im hoping someone who has done this recently can shed light on what they used to complete this.

Regards

steve

You'll need your UK passport, Evidence of your visa status, your passport, 

If you've been here a few months - you should be able to provide : Medicare card, proof of tenancy with your address (your landlord or agent can provide this),  Utilities bill with your address, Australian debit or credit card, Australian bank statement.  

The bank will produce a statement for you if you go in and ask them.

Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

I have the australian debit card and bank statement already.

Obviously we will have passport and visa.

im assuming we can sort Medicare and tax file number quickly too. 

We won't have a tenancy or utilities bill as we will be staying with friends. We won't even have a new phone or car for at least 3 months as we're with three in uk and we can use it as if in uk for upto 3 months at a time whilst in oz. we will be using families spare car too when we arrive. 

Cheers

steve

They want to know what you had for breakfast and your first born child too.  WA are extremely strict on category A documents.

I went to transfer my NSW license over with 2 passports (Australian and Irish) bank cards, utility bills, medicare card, lease, NSW license and it still wasn't enough.

If you are a citizen and were born in Australia, they want your birth cert, born overseas, they want your citizenship certificate.  I'm on my second Aussie passport (ie citizen 10 years +) and this is the only time I have been asked for my citizenship certificate (which I lost years ago) apart from my first Australian  passport.

Immigration and border control accept an Australian passport as proof of Australian citizenship but not the WA Department of Transport.

They have the list on their website, the Category A documents are the crucial ones, the others are fairly routine.

• Confused 1

Hi we have just completed this today, we have only been in AU a month, staying in Mandurah WA.

We presented:

UK passport 

AU bank cards.

Tax file numbers.

letter from bank.

Visa proof, VEVO.

UK driving licence.

tenancy agreement.

hope this helps.

Edited by Big girl
  • Like 1

HI there,

Thanks for that, we need to get WA licence asap when we arrive as we are being loaned a car by family and the insurance they have wont cover us on uk licence. We also wont have tennancy agreement etc as we will be staying with family, so no utilities etc. I think it will be this extra proof of address we struggle with as we will have everything else of the list above except that. We can apply for TFN and medicare pretty quick from what i understand.

thanks

steve

34 minutes ago, Collie said:

Are you sure about this?

AFAIK, in Australia, they generally insure the vehicle, regardless of the driver

Yes unfortunately to add us to their policy without extra cost etc we have to have a AUS licence, they do have a discounted policy and this is one of the restrictions apparently, 

They have said we can drive on UK licence but will require an adjustment to the policy and additional fee.

22 minutes ago, stevej said:

Yes unfortunately to add us to their policy without extra cost etc we have to have a AUS licence, they do have a discounted policy and this is one of the restrictions apparently, 

They have said we can drive on UK licence but will require an adjustment to the policy and additional fee.

Could you not pay the additional fee for them to save you the hassle.

6 minutes ago, ali said:

Could you not pay the additional fee for them to save you the hassle.

Hi There, 

Yes we have offered to do this but they would prefer if we didnt have to do the hassel of changing their policy as originally it did not cover other drivers. 

They will do this for us but the easiest solution for them is if we have a WA licence so thats what we are trying to arrange.

Hi we have just completed this today, we have only been in AU a month, staying in Mandurah WA.
We presented:
UK passport 
AU bank cards.
Tax file numbers.
letter from bank.
Visa proof, VEVO.
UK driving licence.
tenancy agreement.

hope this helps.

Thank you, this is really useful as we arrived only 3 weeks ago.

Do you get to keep your UK driving licence when you receive your WA licence? I have only been driving for just over 1 year, so wasn't sure.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PomsinOz mobile app

2 hours ago, Hitmanfc1000 said:

Thank you, this is really useful as we arrived only 3 weeks ago.

Do you get to keep your UK driving licence when you receive your WA licence? I have only been driving for just over 1 year, so wasn't sure.

You will probably end up on Green Ps until 2 years after you passed your test.

49 minutes ago, benj1980 said:

Yes you keep your other driving licence, although that will you do when it expires?!

Technically the UK licence is no longer valid as it has to be linked to your permanent UK address.

1 minute ago, welljock said:

You will probably end up on Green Ps until 2 years after you passed your test.

Technically the UK licence is no longer valid as it has to be linked to your permanent UK address.

Good point, unless you want to tell an officer that your address is incorrect and get a fine?!!

3 minutes ago, Hitmanfc1000 said:

Thanks for the reply. Would that still apply as I passed my test in the UK?! I thought that the green P plates were only required if I took my driving test in Australia?

There is a part on the website where it tells you what is required for your licence. Im pretty sure i read if you passed you test less then 2 years ago you have to have P plates.

1 hour ago, Hitmanfc1000 said:

Thanks for the reply. Would that still apply as I passed my test in the UK?! I thought that the green P plates were only required if I took my driving test in Australia?

Stevej is correct, it happened to my son he had to go onto the green P for around about a year.

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 14:38, Collie said:

They want to know what you had for breakfast and your first born child too.  WA are extremely strict on category A documents.

I went to transfer my NSW license over with 2 passports (Australian and Irish) bank cards, utility bills, medicare card, lease, NSW license and it still wasn't enough.

If you are a citizen and were born in Australia, they want your birth cert, born overseas, they want your citizenship certificate.  I'm on my second Aussie passport (ie citizen 10 years +) and this is the only time I have been asked for my citizenship certificate (which I lost years ago) apart from my first Australian  passport.

Immigration and border control accept an Australian passport as proof of Australian citizenship but not the WA Department of Transport.

They have the list on their website, the Category A documents are the crucial ones, the others are fairly routine.

I think you must've seen someone who didn't know what they were doing!

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with all the above. Also remember that it's illegal to drive in WA without a WA licence if you have lived in the state for more than 3 months. I am pretty sure you will have to do the knowledge test as well (multi-choice quiz on a computer). There are differences between WA and UK road rules so be sure to read the book before you do it :-)

• 11 months later...

Hi, I'm moving to WA from the UK in February on a 457. I understand that it is compulsory to get a WA driving licence only in the 3 months after becoming a PR, so on a 457 I don't HAVE TO get a WA licence. However, I'd still WANT TO get one for practical ID reasons if at all possible. The question is, CAN I apply for a WA driving licence while on a 457? Or is this only both possible and compulsory after becoming PR?

I've read older threads and the official website but I haven't found an answer to this.

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Pastmybest said:

Hi, I'm moving to WA from the UK in February on a 457. I understand that it is compulsory to get a WA driving licence only in the 3 months after becoming a PR, so on a 457 I don't HAVE TO get a WA licence. However, I'd still WANT TO get one for practical ID reasons if at all possible. The question is, CAN I apply for a WA driving licence while on a 457? Or is this only both possible and compulsory after becoming PR?

I've read older threads and the official website but I haven't found an answer to this.

Thanks!

Following with interest!

4 hours ago, Pastmybest said:

Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure about this. But it should be possible. Since one is able to able for while on student visa itself. 

• Thanks 2