Brisbane-Securing rental whilst off-shore

DukeNinja

Apparently this is difficult, but not impossible. I managed to secure a 6 month contract whilst still in the UK. We landed on our feet really, as the property is a brand spanking new block of flats, with us moving in on the first settlement day.

I provided my employment contract, and referees from the UK, and this seemed to have been enough to get me approved.

If anyone's moving to Brisbane and wants somewhere close to the CBD, then I can definitely recommend these apartments.

Arguably, they're more suited to the young couple/singleton, as it's on the verge of Spring Hill and Fortitude Valley, but as a couple in our mid 30s, with a newborn, it has been very convenient.

We're paying $470pw for a 2 bed 1 bath on the 17th floor, with views towards the Story Bridge.

IMG-20170922-WA0000.jpeg

• Like 1

We rented from the UK too and found the perfect house for us. Great to prepare the kids before the move too so that they had a new 'home' the minute we landed. 

Good tips for others doing this - 

Google street view all the way along the street and surrounding streets

Confirm with the agent that the photos of the property are recent (and not taken 10 yrs ago when the property was first tenanted!) 

Check out the crime map for the area - very useful to determine that you are not going to land in a hotbed of drug dealing!!

Go with 6 months if you can, rather than 12 months just in case it is a pit. 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 29/09/2017 at 18:46, Peachy said:

We rented from the UK too and found the perfect house for us. Great to prepare the kids before the move too so that they had a new 'home' the minute we landed. 

Good tips for others doing this - 

Google street view all the way along the street and surrounding streets

Confirm with the agent that the photos of the property are recent (and not taken 10 yrs ago when the property was first tenanted!) 

Check out the crime map for the area - very useful to determine that you are not going to land in a hotbed of drug dealing!!

Go with 6 months if you can, rather than 12 months just in case it is a pit. 

@Peachy Great post.

I don't think the crime maps can help that much, the reason is that criminals don't usually steal in their own back yard. I've known Suburbs that are literally the pits rank higher than the upper class Suburbs. 

I do think that's where the forum can help as we usually have someone who has lived there or knows of the area but even then I would want a few opinions and take the average. 

'Your tips are great, I would also ask if they can do a virtual tour of the property and outside. Also look at the demographics of an area, if 80% of the population are unemployed and under 30 it's probably one to avoid.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 25/09/2017 at 09:12, calNgary said:

Looks great and has fantastic views. 

I think your safety net was the fact its a new build, i have seen some of the homes people have secured prior to arrival without viewing in person and some leave a lot to the imagination, infact a couple i would not have left my dog at ..

Cal x

I agree about the units, unfortunately they are flooding the market and people are struggling to sell/rent. A house in a nice suburb could be harder. I'm currently in contact with an agent in Brisbane to see if he will help members get a rental prior to their arrival.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 24/09/2017 at 21:41, DukeNinja said:

Apparently this is difficult, but not impossible. I managed to secure a 6 month contract whilst still in the UK. We landed on our feet really, as the property is a brand spanking new block of flats, with us moving in on the first settlement day.

I provided my employment contract, and referees from the UK, and this seemed to have been enough to get me approved.

If anyone's moving to Brisbane and wants somewhere close to the CBD, then I can definitely recommend these apartments.

Arguably, they're more suited to the young couple/singleton, as it's on the verge of Spring Hill and Fortitude Valley, but as a couple in our mid 30s, with a newborn, it has been very convenient.

We're paying $470pw for a 2 bed 1 bath on the 17th floor, with views towards the Story Bridge.

IMG-20170922-WA0000.jpeg

Looks lovely, glad you got something, and with it being a new building everything will be furnished lovely

• 2 months later...

I had a job lined up. I applied online via the agent's website. I did not need to pay additional rent, over and above the usual. I did supply a lengthy statement in support of my application to make me more favourable than someone already in Australia. It had to be pretty good as we were also bringing over our 3 cats to stay in the rental!!

Edited by Peachy