417 & 189 Questions

darkz

Hi there,

Job in Australia starts in January 2018 - plan is to apply for 417 to cover this, and while working in Australia, the plan is to have the 189 application processing.

I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. If I apply for 417 and this is granted in October, can I then do EOI/application for 189 while still in UK?

2. If 189 is granted before 417 expires, does the 189 just replace 417?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, darkz said:

Hi there,

Job in Australia starts in January 2018 - plan is to apply for 417 to cover this, and while working in Australia, the plan is to have the 189 application processing.

I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering:

1. If I apply for 417 and this is granted in October, can I then do EOI/application for 189 while still in UK?

2. If 189 is granted before 417 expires, does the 189 just replace 417?

Thanks!

yes and yes

I'd be tempted to come out on the 417, do your expression of interest and application for 189 while onshore, that way, you get put on a bridging visa and I believe may be able to work for the same employer while a decision is made. 

However, the conditions of your 417 would still apply until it expired or the 189 is granted, so you may need to check if they would let you continue to work for the same emplyer for longer than 6 months. 

OK great - thanks for all the input so far guys. Really appreciate it!

Spouse is over 30 so cannot apply for a 417. He runs an IT company in UK which, when 189 is granted he will bring to Australia.

Is there any visa he could apply for to allow him to stay + work in Australia during this process?

1 hour ago, darkz said:

OK great - thanks for all the input so far guys. Really appreciate it!

Spouse is over 30 so cannot apply for a 417. He runs an IT company in UK which, when 189 is granted he will bring to Australia.

Is there any visa he could apply for to allow him to stay + work in Australia during this process?

Afraid not. 

On 25/09/2017 at 23:02, MaggieMay24 said:

If the 189 isn't approved before you reach 6 months with your employer, you can complete and submit form 1445 requesting approval to remain with your employer until the 189 is granted.

Excellent, thanks for this.

Before January we intend on visiting Australia for a few weeks holiday.... would the visa for this short trip interfere with application for 417?

Would it be better to visit Australia and then when back home, apply for 417 to start in January?