457 Visa about to be terminated by company

linshorton

My husband is the visa holder but the work has run out 1/2 way through the second visa. This is the second 457 visa so have been so lucky to have been here for this long. Due to our age we can not apply for PR. I have flights booked to visit my frail mother in NZ at Xmas so this termination will have an impact on that trip plus we love living in Australia. I have been working for the same job for the last 5 years but don't think I can be sponsored as I am now a casual (hospital scientist). Reading around we've read we have 90 days or ? 60 days but not sure if he can still be employed and paid for some of this time. Not sure what the employers obligations are. Only just found out so still in shock. Would be grateful for any info...thanks

9 hours ago, linshorton said:

Thanks for the info. His company are unaware of the rules despite being an international company! Hopefully this delay will give us a couple of months more to either find another job or make the most of what we have already planned to do.

Sent from my iPad using PomsinOz

I does not matter if the company knows the rules or not. Your husband has a work limitation condition (60 or 90 days, depending when his visa was granted) which is his responsibility to abide by. If he stops working for his sponsor for more than this time, you will face visa cancellation.