Remaining relative visa might aswell be cancelled

stevej

I have just been browsing the Border.gov website as you do actually looking for a potential way for my sister to move out to Oz and stumbled across the remaining relative visas, although this visa is not applicable to her due to having our mother and brother still in the UK it seems it is pointless anyway as the processing time is essentially outside any normal persons scope as quoted below.

"Based on current planning levels and the allocation of the majority of the Other Family places to the Carer visa category, it is currently estimated that Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications that were lodged in 2014 and meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately 50 years to be released for final processing (calculated from 14 August 2014)."

surely they may as well just suspend these visa types for new applicants based on those figures?

Guest The Pom Queen

But isn't that one where you could apply onshore? It use to be a way in for parents who would come on a "holiday" submit a visa application and they could stay on a bridging visa until it was granted/refused. 

I honestly don't know because they change the Visas all the time I don't think anyone as any idea what is what anymore.

36 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

But isn't that one where you could apply onshore? It use to be a way in for parents who would come on a "holiday" submit a visa application and they could stay on a bridging visa until it was granted/refused. 

I honestly don't know because they change the Visas all the time I don't think anyone as any idea what is what anymore.

Yes it is - one can arrive as a tourist, decide to stay, and apply onshore. Result is living on a bridging visa for however many years it takes to grant.

Yep, we do have members currently with family onshore on bridging visas. I personally advise against such a move as living on a bridging visa for 50 plus years is not a good thing. Healthcare limitations, no access to state benefits etc. Then, I would not be surprised if in the future they cancel it. Remember Cat 5! These were people on long term bridging visas awaiting pr when suddenly the visa was cancelled and they had to leave.

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yep, we do have members currently with family onshore on bridging visas. I personally advise against such a move as living on a bridging visa for 50 plus years is not a good thing. Healthcare limitations, no access to state benefits etc. Then, I would not be surprised if in the future they cancel it. Remember Cat 5! These were people on long term bridging visas awaiting pr when suddenly the visa was cancelled and they had to leave.

good point. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see the same thing happen to the Last Remaining Relative.