Possible move to Sydney

Vicky87

Hi everyone, I'm new here but just after a bit of advice..

I've recently been contacted about a possible job in Sydney, I'm a quantity surveyor and apparently they are struggling to hire looking and looking to sponsor candidates.. 

My partner and I would love to live in Australia, I loved Sydney but he preferred Perth.. anyway, we have a 6 month old baby girl who hasn't been the easiest to look after and I have relied on my family a great deal to help out.. we would both love another child in the next year or two.

I guess my question is whether you would suggest going for this opportunity now and having a second child over there, or waiting until we've had baby no2 and looking again then, albeit a job may not be available and we would have to pay for visas..

I am still waiting for more detail about the job etc, and both avenues come with a string of pros and cons.. If anyone has any stories to share it would be really appreciated..

thanks xx

Guest The Pom Queen
4 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

I've recently been contacted about a possible job in Sydney, I'm a quantity surveyor and apparently they are struggling to hire looking and looking to sponsor candidates.. 

My partner and I would love to live in Australia, I loved Sydney but he preferred Perth.. anyway, we have a 6 month old baby girl who hasn't been the easiest to look after and I have relied on my family a great deal to help out.. we would both love another child in the next year or two.

I guess my question is whether you would suggest going for this opportunity now and having a second child over there, or waiting until we've had baby no2 and looking again then, albeit a job may not be available and we would have to pay for visas..

I am still waiting for more detail about the job etc, and both avenues come with a string of pros and cons.. If anyone has any stories to share it would be really appreciated..

thanks xx

Hi @Vicky87 welcome to the forum. 

'Personally, if you have a path in and you both want to make the move I would jump at it. Visa guidelines are changing all the time and what may be a route in now may not be in the future. I don't know your age, and that is none of my business it if Australia is what you want and it's a good package they are offering then if you are young enough I would put off having another little one until you are settled over here. You also need to take in to account the cost of childcare when the company put your package together, also living in Sydney isn't cheap, so check if you will need to work in the office, is the office in the CBD,  if mobile which areas you will cover and if you still need to make a daily trip in to the office. That way you can get a rough idea of areas to live and an idea of commute times.

I will be honest and say it's hard over here with no friends and family for support. My health has been terrible since being here and it's put so much strain on my husband running around after the kids and visiting me in hospital as well as working. It may work out cheaper having an au pair.

Have a look at some of our articles there is one on childcare costs and one on childcare benefits https://www.pomsinoz.com/articles.html/living-in-australia/

Also ask the company if they will pay a relocation package, some do, I've known members get flights paid for and the first months accommodation, it all helps.

Hi, thank you for your reply.. sorry to hear you have been in hospital, it does sound stressful not having anyone close by. This does worry me also..

Thanks for the au pair suggestion, I will look into prices. Especially for if we have another as it would prob work out cheaper.. we also have a dog so at least he wouldn't be alone!

I have asked what visa I will be offered and whether a relocation package will be included, I'm expecting a phone call tomorrow so will start crunching numbers following that! 

The agency mentioned a companies in CBD and also south Sydney so I'll push for south Sydney!!! 

Thanks for your comments xx

Honestly? No, I would probably pass on that one. Sydney is a very expensive place to live to start with and as temporary residents you won’t get any help with child care. As you are already relying heavily on family, you will definitely struggle on your own (child care in Sydney is going to cost you anywhere between $600-800 per child per week for starters). Being an isolated family isn’t easy at the best of times, it’s a tough gig!

A second child would be covered by Medicare but your employer might get a bit miffed if they’ve sponsored you to do a job then you swan off to have another baby and take substantial leave. Should, heaven forbid, you or the baby has medical issues that can get complicated on a temporary visa and any subsequent  application for PR.

Personally, I’d get the babies out of the way and use whatever support you’ve got and take that time to apply for a permanent visa. There are always risks associated with temporary visas - there is no guarantee that you will get PR and you could be dropped and given about 60 day’s to leave the country. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quoll said:

Honestly? No, I would probably pass on that one. Sydney is a very expensive place to live to start with and as temporary residents you won’t get any help with child care. As you are already relying heavily on family, you will definitely struggle on your own (child care in Sydney is going to cost you anywhere between $600-800 per child per week for starters). Being an isolated family isn’t easy at the best of times, it’s a tough gig!

A second child would be covered by Medicare but your employer might get a bit miffed if they’ve sponsored you to do a job then you swan off to have another baby and take substantial leave. Should, heaven forbid, you or the baby has medical issues that can get complicated on a temporary visa and any subsequent  application for PR.

Personally, I’d get the babies out of the way and use whatever support you’ve got and take that time to apply for a permanent visa. There are always risks associated with temporary visas - there is no guarantee that you will get PR and you could be dropped and given about 60 day’s to leave the country. 

Totally agree with Quoll.

I live in Sydney and the NSW Government has information available about paternity and maternity leave in the state. Go to www.industrialrelations.nsw.gov.au and type maternity leave in the search option.

Sydney is expensive, but it depends on your lifestyle, salaries and where you live. So it may or may not be an issue depending on your circumstances. If it's a really good job offer, you will probably be ok. Ours were.

We moved in December. I commute 25 minutes into the CBD and we live comfortably. If you want further info, PM me, happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

I lived in Sydney for >10 years and loved it.  It is a great city for all ages.  It is expensive though so you need to take that into account.  What does your OH do?  He will be free to work for anybody.

I hear the caveats above though and would agree with some of them.  A couple of things to look for.

• See if they will sponsor you for PR insterad of a 457.  A 457 visa is a temporary visa and will only get you 2-4 years depending on occupation.  It also means you are tied to your employer and are not eligible for many govt benefits (childcare rebates, school fees etc).  If you don't like the employer you are stuck with them unless you find a new company to sponsor you.  If tehy sponsor you for PR, you do a min of 2 years with them and then you have more options.
  • If you come on a 457, I would put off the 2nd child until you complete it.  The employer would not be happy and may look to exit you.  Even on PR, probably put 1-2 years in first.
  • Australian healthcare (and pre natal in particular) is excellant IME
  • Sydney is in a bit of building boom at the moment with many large projects on the go at once, Perth is struggling btw

Let us know how you go.

• Like 1

Thanks all.. :)

I have asked what visa and after all your comments I don't think I would risk going over on a 457.. if they offer me PR it will make my decision harder.. if we did go I would wait a couple of years before trying for baby no2, I would feel guilty for letting the employer spend so much money otherwise.. I've been looking on seek I can expect a salary of around $130k, not sure how far this will go!?

My husband is a pipefitter which we know they don't recognise in Oz, he is due to complete a H&S qualification but is happy to be a stay at home dad initially and sort everything out.. he is also happy to complete a course if he needs to when we get there..

It definitely a head and heart conundrum, my head is saying wait but my heart is saying you only live once and would we regret it if we didn't go.. 

I will let you know when I hear back from the agency!!

Edited by Vicky87
Amendment

Good luck Vicky,

When you are looking at salaries you need to know whether they include or exclude super.  Super is superannuation and is a mandatory pension contribution of a minimum of 9.5%.  It is still your money, it just gets put away into a fund (of your choice).

So using your $130k, if it was $130k+ super, it would be $130k base and super of $12,350.  $130k including super would be $118.7k base +super of $11.3k,

$130k base will be about $7,600 per month after tax (the 118k would be about $7k).  You could have a nice comfortable living (without being extravagant) on Sydney on that (for a small family).  There are a few threads on cost of living in the money section.  It is a bit of a how long is a piece of string ? as everybody prioritises different things.

But at a high level, you will be able rent a nice apartment or a small house (2-3 bed) in a reasonable inner to middle ring suburb.  You will be able to enjoy life with regular leisure activities, meals out etc.

If they offer to sponsor you for PR, go for it.  Great opportunity and you will be giving yourselves and your children options for the future.  You can always move back to the UK in 4-5 years after you have gotten citizenship.

• Like 1

Good luck Vicky,

When you are looking at salaries you need to know whether they include or exclude super.  Super is superannuation and is a mandatory pension contribution of a minimum of 9.5%.  It is still your money, it just gets put away into a fund (of your choice).

So using your $130k, if it was $130k+ super, it would be $130k base and super of $12,350.  $130k including super would be $118.7k base +super of $11.3k,

$130k base will be about $7,600 per month after tax (the 118k would be about $7k).  You could have a nice comfortable living (without being extravagant) on Sydney on that (for a small family).  There are a few threads on cost of living in the money section.  It is a bit of a how long is a piece of string ? as everybody prioritises different things.

But at a high level, you will be able rent a nice apartment or a small house (2-3 bed) in a reasonable inner to middle ring suburb.  You will be able to enjoy life with regular leisure activities, meals out etc.

If they offer to sponsor you for PR, go for it.  Great opportunity and you will be giving yourselves and your children options for the future.  You can always move back to the UK in 4-5 years after you have gotten citizenship.

If you are looking to get an idea of house prices or to rent check out realestate.com.au. to see what you might be able to get and where.

If commuting checkout transport NSW and Sydney trains. Groceries can be costly here, but check out Woolworths online or Coles online and that should give you an idea of what a food shop might cost. They also have Aldi here.

Utilities costs may defer, for us it cost $100 per month for electric. Still waiting on the gas bill and water is included on our rent of $560 per week

There is no CTAX for renters but there is for house ownership

Salary taxation is phased here - there is no 21/40 type split in the U.K. There is a non taxed amount like in the U.K., but then it changes in brackets up to a high marginal rate ($130K maybe the threshold). Checkout the ATO (Australian Tax Office) website for details.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 5 months later...
On 21/09/2017 at 22:30, Vicky87 said:

thanks xx

Did you make a decision on Sydney (or Perth?) I was just looking through the NSW pages and saw your thread from September, 2017.

Yeah, we decided to hold fire on Sydney and wait to get a PR visa and head to Perth.  

Various reasons behind our decision -
I think my husband would struggle for work if I was sponsored
We were worried about house prices in Sydney 
We really liked Perth and know a few people there already which will hopefully make settling a little easier..

Have you been to either?

12 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

Yeah, we decided to hold fire on Sydney and wait to get a PR visa and head to Perth.  

We really liked Perth and know a few people there already which will hopefully make settling a little easier..

Have you been to either?

I think you made the right decision, not moving to Sydney.   I love the place, but housing in an nice suburb is unaffordable now.  To give you an idea, we owned a small two-bedroom townhouse in a suburb about 20km from the CBD (40 minutes by train, about 2 hours by car in the rush hour!).   No garage, no garden just a courtyard.  It is now worth at least $900,000. 

I find Perth a bit quiet but that's me, I'm a real big-city girl.  

• Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 23:02, Vicky87 said:

Have you been to either?

Perth was where I first started in Australia back in 1978 and I loved it but I could not get a job so I moved east, ultimately to Sydney. I went back to Perth in December last year for the first time in 21 years and I loved it again especially when comparing it to the crowded roads, crowded everywhere of Sydney. As I often tell people, in Perth you can go for a drive for pleasure. In Sydney you endure the roads to get from A to B. And house prices are very favourable compared to Sydney too. If I did not have a job I like and family nearby I think I would try living there. I am going back for another holiday at the end of April.

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think you made the right decision, not moving to Sydney.   I love the place, but housing in an nice suburb is unaffordable now.  To give you an idea, we owned a small two-bedroom townhouse in a suburb about 20km from the CBD (40 minutes by train, about 2 hours by car in the rush hour!).   No garage, no garden just a courtyard.  It is now worth at least $900,000. 

I find Perth a bit quiet but that's me, I'm a real big-city girl.  

I think my Surry Hills one bedroom unit with garage is worth about $600,000 and would rent for around $600 a week (although it needs doing up for rental) and in Perth I saw similar units, with two bedrooms, in similar locations for half the price and half the rental.

I don't know if Surry Hills has an equivalent in Perth? Northbridge perhaps? Leederville? Subicaco? South Perth where I stayed is as close to the CBD as Surry Hills but it's different, quieter, although I grew to like it. There is a little strip of cafes and the Windsor Hotel on Mends St which is expanding. I"m going to stay in Applecross just up the road next time I go. It is quieter than Sydney of course, no going to the pub after midnight except on Friday and Saturday but I adapted!

Yep, house prices in Sydney are mad.  We sold our house in the Engadine area (right at the southern edge of Sutherland Shire) for $1.52 million.  It was a gorgeous house, but it went for way more than we were hoping for.  It wasn't even a potential development site for units or anything, just a local family bought it.

• 4 months later...

Hi Vicky

Have you made the move?

My husband is a QS and we are moving out to Sydney later this year for his job with my 2 year old daughter. Just wondering how you have found the process moving with a little one?

I noticed you are also thinking of moving to Perth, we lived there for 4 years and loved it, very different to Sydney but such a lovely place. Feel free to message me if you have any questions on Perth

H

Hi Hannah, 

We didn't bother pursuing it in the end, we've decided to apply for a 189 visa and head to Perth when the time comes. I loved Sydney we just decided it might be too busy and expensive for us. I have heard construction/ infrastructure is booming on the east coast - hoping it'll pick up on the west coast before we plan the move! 

Are you heading to Sydney from Perth or the UK? Hope it works out for you, shame we're not going as my daughter is 16 months now! X

Hi Vicky

We are moving to Sydney from the UK, we were in Perth 2011 - 2015 and then moved back to the UK. We loved Perth and I am sure you will too and its such a perfect place to have a family. I hope it all goes well.

We have only spent a long weekend in Sydney so not sure what to expect as other than the tourist hot spots we didn't see much of Sydney. Plus this time we are moving with a little one so I know it will be much different to our last trip.

I would be interested to keep in contact to see how you get on moving with a little one and if you have any tips for when our time comes!

H x

Yeah sure. Although you will probably beat us to the move judging by visa processing times - I was so naive thinking it would be a lot quicker! Still, at least we've started the ball rolling.. 

Hopefully you will love Sydney as much as you loved Perth. Otherwise you can always head back to WA? X

• 2 weeks later...