Mobile phone plan for Oz phone in UK

Sar_83

Hi all

We're returning to the UK in 6 weeks having lived in Australia for the last 9 years.  I've had the same mobile number since the day we arrived here and am keen to keep it going once I head back to the UK so as not to loose touch with people (I did the same with my UK phone, having had the same number for the last 15 years and changing to a pre-paid/pay as you go plan when we moved out here which has worked well).

I'm keen to find a service provider who can offer a good plan for use outside of Australia - mainly for text messages and the occassional phone call (bearing in mind most of the time I will be using it on WIFI and using only Facetime/Whatsapp etc so no data needed).

Has anyone recently found any good deals?  I know I can get a SIM through Vodaphone where one recharge lasts 12 months however it seems to only really be good value for use within Australia.

I should note I'm currently with Optus on a business plan but as I'm out of contract I can cancel & take my number with me anytime.  Oh and Optus have told me it's easier for them if I don't take out an Optus plan but change to a different service provider and they will just port my number across to them... go figure.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

• 3 weeks later...

I would just get a dual sim phone and have a new UK sim with your oz one with some credit on it that lasts for 365 days - just payg is fine with numerous suppliers. Then simply text back using snapchat or facebook etc using UK phone plan data which is mega cheap. Don't use for calls though.

Dual sim phones are not too expensive but not generally available on the high street - some do have them- but I got mine online unlocked etc. works a treat.