We moved back!

LKC

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post in this forum - I have been fascinated to read many stories on here for a couple of hours now.

we are currently in SE QLD - have been thinking about going back to Scotland for a while now. 

It's so so great to hear LKC (don't know how to tag people in here) you are being made so welcome in the Highlands. Last place we lived in Scotland was also a small village in central Scotland... And we miss it so much!!! We are unsure about going back. I worry that the kids might miss Australia too much (Mind you the oldest is 4 - I know the theory of them settling in quickly, but I'm still worried). How are the kids koping with the weather?

2 minutes ago, Novembernorain said:

This is my first post in this forum - I have been fascinated to read many stories on here for a couple of hours now.

we are currently in SE QLD - have been thinking about going back to Scotland for a while now. 

It's so so great to hear LKC (don't know how to tag people in here) you are being made so welcome in the Highlands. Last place we lived in Scotland was also a small village in central Scotland... And we miss it so much!!! We are unsure about going back. I worry that the kids might miss Australia too much (Mind you the oldest is 4 - I know the theory of them settling in quickly, but I'm still worried). How are the kids koping with the weather?

I can't comment on Scotland obviously but as far as the kids go ours were almost 11 and took to it like ducks to water and seem to, such prefer the milder weather.  

46 minutes ago, Novembernorain said:

I think at four, they'd settle in just fine.  I do understand why you'd worry though.

I worried about the kids too (aged 9 and 11), particularly our eldest because she has Asperger's and generalised anxiety disorder, and I thought it might be too much for her to cope with.  However, they have both taken to it like ducks to water!  Eldest has had no anxiety, no sleep trouble, her Asperger's symptoms are pretty much non-existant, and above all she is happy, which she hadn't been in Australia for a while.  It's funny how I hadn't realised just how unhappy she'd been until we moved here and she'd settled into her new school and made a few friends.  Moreover, her school and the high school she'll be going to next year have arranged a meeting with me to discuss how they can best help support her in school and also in her transition to high school.  We'd never had any real help or support from her school in Aus, so to have that for her is amazing.

They've loved the weather!  We've had some really beautiful days since we got back.  It is cold (there was frost this morning), but we've been out and about just the same.  They are enjoying the central heating, and don't mind wrapping up warm when we go out.  They are both very much looking forwards to seeing snow!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shellshocked said:

I just wondered are you living in Alloa? I've seen some beautiful houses there very reasonably priced but the commute on the train to Edinburgh where I work seems very long. Are u in a similar positions?

We're more over towards Kinross.  We chose the area mostly because OH is working in Dunfermline, so it's a quick drive to work for him.

On 15/10/2017 at 05:32, Chris N Lora said:

apologies pressed wrong button lol. 

lovely cats, we are going to bring 4 back and two small dogs, was wondering if you would be willing to share the experience of the company used to transport them. 

Sorry @Chris N Lora I've only just seen your post.  We used Dogtainers to bring our cats back.  They were good.  We did have trouble getting information from them to start with, but I suspect there were some staffing issues because the lady that we'd been dealing with suddenly disappeared and from then on the communication was great.  We put the cats in two large crates, so two together in each so they'd have a bit of company for the journey.  They were collected on the Monday morning (we flew out on that day) and taken to their kennels, where they were given worming tablets and a health check.  They were put on a Qantas flight the following day to Dubai, a six hour layover where they were fed and watered, and then Emirates to Glasgow, where they were picked up and delivered to our house by an associate company of Dogtainers.  They were absolutely fine when they got here, aside from being a bit crumpled and smelly where they'd done a wee in the container.  They settled pretty quickly too!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:16, LKC said:

I think at four, they'd settle in just fine.  I do understand why you'd worry though.

I worried about the kids too (aged 9 and 11), particularly our eldest because she has Asperger's and generalised anxiety disorder, and I thought it might be too much for her to cope with.  However, they have both taken to it like ducks to water!  Eldest has had no anxiety, no sleep trouble, her Asperger's symptoms are pretty much non-existant, and above all she is happy, which she hadn't been in Australia for a while.  It's funny how I hadn't realised just how unhappy she'd been until we moved here and she'd settled into her new school and made a few friends.  Moreover, her school and the high school she'll be going to next year have arranged a meeting with me to discuss how they can best help support her in school and also in her transition to high school.  We'd never had any real help or support from her school in Aus, so to have that for her is amazing.

They've loved the weather!  We've had some really beautiful days since we got back.  It is cold (there was frost this morning), but we've been out and about just the same.  They are enjoying the central heating, and don't mind wrapping up warm when we go out.  They are both very much looking forwards to seeing snow!

good for you LkC ?.....in relation to snow , lets hope you get some .

more of a chance , than us down here in the West mids

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

p.s ...i know you have family in longbridge .....have you seen the work going on ?

I grew up in Longbridge, but my family moved away from there about 20 years ago, though they are still in Birmingham.  We went over that way when we last visited my family and I was surprised how much it has changed.  I'd not been back for many years, and I think the old car factory was still there then!  Massive difference, seems to have been lots of investment in the area.

56 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

good for you LkC ?.....in relation to snow , lets hope you get some .

more of a chance , than us down here in the West mids

I think it is meant to snow in the highlands later this week.  The kids have Thursday/Friday off school (teacher training days), so OH has booked the time off too.  We're thinking of going up to see if we can find some snow.  We're right on the southern edge of the highlands here, so it doesn't take long to get into the mountains.  We've had some really beautiful weather since we got here.  Today we have bright blue sky again, although it is cold.  OH had to use de-icer on the car when he went to work this morning!

35 minutes ago, LKC said:

I think it is meant to snow in the highlands later this week.  The kids have Thursday/Friday off school (teacher training days), so OH has booked the time off too.  We're thinking of going up to see if we can find some snow.  We're right on the southern edge of the highlands here, so it doesn't take long to get into the mountains.  We've had some really beautiful weather since we got here.  Today we have bright blue sky again, although it is cold.  OH had to use de-icer on the car when he went to work this morning!

You are just  going into your frosty, cold weather and we have just left it.  Your daughters will be so excited to see snow!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LKC said:

Have you been to Comrie Croft? They have woodland Katas with wood burning stoves, MTB trails and it's just a great place to spend time with the kids. I used to work there when we lived in Scotland. You should check it out!

2 hours ago, Novembernorain said:

Have you been to Comrie Croft? They have woodland Katas with wood burning stoves, MTB trails and it's just a great place to spend time with the kids. I used to work there when we lived in Scotland. You should check it out!

Thanks for the info!  Looks like a great place, and only 40 minutes from home.

On 30/10/2017 at 22:33, LKC said:

Sorry @Chris N Lora I've only just seen your post.  We used Dogtainers to bring our cats back.  They were good.  We did have trouble getting information from them to start with, but I suspect there were some staffing issues because the lady that we'd been dealing with suddenly disappeared and from then on the communication was great.  We put the cats in two large crates, so two together in each so they'd have a bit of company for the journey.  They were collected on the Monday morning (we flew out on that day) and taken to their kennels, where they were given worming tablets and a health check.  They were put on a Qantas flight the following day to Dubai, a six hour layover where they were fed and watered, and then Emirates to Glasgow, where they were picked up and delivered to our house by an associate company of Dogtainers.  They were absolutely fine when they got here, aside from being a bit crumpled and smelly where they'd done a wee in the container.  They settled pretty quickly too!

Thanks for the reply, I would have to get 3 crates, 2 rag dolls are fine the other 2really dislike each other .. we were debating jetpete and dogcontainers... again thanks, and glad you have settled well.