Which city Is a mix of suburban and urban lifestyle

abin.thayyil

Guest The Pom Queen

I like Perth. Although I think all of the cities could fit in to your description. Darwin, Melbourne, Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane.

What you need to be looking at is employment, housing budget and how far you want to commute on a daily basis.

I think they all are here except perhaps Sydney. With Melbourne you have the wineries in the Yarra Valley on the doorstep plus the Dandenongs where housing is a bit cheaper.  With Brisbane you have a lot of suburbs, it isn't a very big city and neither is Adelaide.  As for Canberra, well it is right on the edge of the bush. Hobart is pretty rural, couldn't get a traffic jam there. Perth is similar, very suburban but not for everyone. Really only Sydney at the moment is more of a real city though Melbourne is catching up and will overtake soon because so many are making their home there.Bad luck for us, it is ruining things.

• Like 2

Adelaide ticks those boxes for me. Been here 4 years now and never looked back. We live in a lovely very edge of an outer lying suburb with open hills 100m from out door. Child goes to a great local school and is very happy. We had a good choice school wise in the area we settled in. And then only a 30 minute or so drive into the city/CBD in non rush hour. Bit longer otherwise. 30 mins in the train too. And we are 15 mins tops from the beach if and when we want to head that way. Wineries to the north and south, hills and lovely countryside going inland. 

The city suburbs closer to the CBD seem to feel more awake. Some are very popular and reflect that in the price of the suburb. Some of the ones further out a bit more sleepy but depending on your wants, can suit some. We are further out again and it suits us down to the ground. We get our city fix often enough and we are happy otherwise.  

We've got plenty going on in the city itself plus lots of options for entertainment, sports etc. Most big bands play here now if they tour Aus. Adelaide Oval has hosted Adele, is going to see Ed Sheeran there next year. Great upgraded airport. 

I find it a really good balance. Some people liken it to a large market town in the UK but having lived close to one of those in the past there, I don't find it anything close to that. The city really is a city feel. Lots of cafes, bars and eateries plus the river running through the city and the parklands surrounding it give it a lovely feel.

Downside can be securing employment. 

Adelaide ticks those boxes for me. Been here 4 years now and never looked back. We live in a lovely very edge of an outer lying suburb with open hills 100m from out door. Child goes to a great local school and is very happy. We had a good choice school wise in the area we settled in. And then only a 30 minute or so drive into the city/CBD in non rush hour. Bit longer otherwise. 30 mins in the train too. And we are 15 mins tops from the beach if and when we want to head that way. Wineries to the north and south, hills and lovely countryside going inland. 
The city suburbs closer to the CBD seem to feel more awake. Some are very popular and reflect that in the price of the suburb. Some of the ones further out a bit more sleepy but depending on your wants, can suit some. We are further out again and it suits us down to the ground. We get our city fix often enough and we are happy otherwise.  
We've got plenty going on in the city itself plus lots of options for entertainment, sports etc. Most big bands play here now if they tour Aus. Adelaide Oval has hosted Adele, is going to see Ed Sheeran there next year. Great upgraded airport. 
I find it a really good balance. Some people liken it to a large market town in the UK but having lived close to one of those in the past there, I don't find it anything close to that. The city really is a city feel. Lots of cafes, bars and eateries plus the river running through the city and the parklands surrounding it give it a lovely feel.
Downside can be securing employment. 
Thank you for the response really informative. But as you said downside being employment can hinder the perks . How about Perth??

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Canberra fits the bill almost - laid back hmmmm, no. It's very dog eat dog. But otherwise all the benefits of big city and bush rolled together. Work in Canberra could be a problem though, depending on what you do and your visa status.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, abin.thayyil said:

Thank you for the response really informative. But as you said downside being employment can hinder the perks . How about Perth??

No clue about Perth. I don't live there. 

I do read its struggling atm but you could do some research on that. 

Nothing particularly laid back above Perth.  Unless you have a time machine perhaps and can return to 1971. Some urban myths take generations to die out. Appearances can be deceptive. Perth is slow but different from being 'laid back'.

We are still recovering from the 'boom'  that saw prices rival Sydney and first tier world cities. Some improvement but not enough. A lot depends on employment factors, as far fewer are moving to Perth, rents are more acceptable. There are certain positive ingredients to consider but on the question of which city would suit requirements, that is more difficult to state with any degree of certainty. You really need to do a lot of research, with the result being some small thing may convince you that a particular place is worth a try.

Probably on a personal level Darwin has proven the most laid back. But I wouldn't necessary recommend it for a family. My history and experience there is not recent either.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abin.thayyil said:

But as you said downside being employment can hinder the perks . How about Perth??

It would help if you indicate the type of  employment you are seeking.   Also...have you been granted (or are applying for) a visa which allows you to live/work anywhere?  (Some are location restricted). 

• Like 1

The thing that is hard to get your head around until you get there is that there is not really any country areas in the way there are in the UK. In the UK you can live in the country and be an hour to the nearest city. Think the Yorkshire dales or the peak district. In Aus you are either in the city or the burbs. Small country towns tend to be very isolated and hours from the city. There are lots of beautiful beaches and bushland everywhere so an outdoor lifestyle is easy wherever you are. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

The thing that is hard to get your head around until you get there is that there is not really any country areas in the way there are in the UK. In the UK you can live in the country and be an hour to the nearest city. Think the Yorkshire dales or the peak district. In Aus you are either in the city or the burbs. Small country towns tend to be very isolated and hours from the city. There are lots of beautiful beaches and bushland everywhere so an outdoor lifestyle is easy wherever you are. 

The OP may not be coming from the UK. 

I find Aus cities closer to US style living than UK. I am not a fan of the US malls, drive everywhere and the suburban living and I am not a fan of it here so do my best to avoid that part of the lifestyle where possible. However, huge malls are now around the UK also so that aspect is certainly creeping in. 

It would help if you indicate the type of  employment you are seeking.   Also...have you been granted (or are applying for) a visa which allows you to live/work anywhere?  (Some are location restricted). 
I am an IT professional but I believe apart from Sydney Australia doesn't have much opportunities in IT. Hence, was thinking of any alternative job which if not lucrative need to think of some place to find which can be blend of both country side and city which I think will be good for pockets.

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I don't think Ballarat is as nice as Bendigo though- and it is cooold :frown: Maybe Bendigo services the country areas north of there with IT?

You're not wrong there, it can be bloody freezing - or, in the summer, hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement.  You're right, Bendigo is nicer but the train ride is longer.

• Like 1

You're not wrong there, it can be bloody freezing - or, in the summer, hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement.  You're right, Bendigo is nicer but the train ride is longer.
What about the crime rate, the drug abuses I've heard pretty much about these as few suburban issues???

2 hours ago, abin.thayyil said:

What about the crime rate, the drug abuses I've heard pretty much about these as few suburban issues???

Pretty endemic in Victoria really. Drugs and gangs all over.

Edited by Quoll

How about Brisbane suburbs like south Brisbane, is the drug cases prevalent there too??

Brisbane is very family friendly and affordable. I find it quite safe but of course you'll always find some trouble where ever you go in the world.

I'm in IT and had found a job in 3 weeks, of course it depends on your skill but there are some IT jobs.

Check seek.com.au

Google and do research so you get an idea of the cities as they are different, depends what you like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk