Money

Linda kirkham

Would I have to declare money transferred into a bank account ready for my stay waiting for my contributory parent visa when passing through customs on my arrival in Australia -- I know about the ceiling for carrying cash through but confused if that includes monies all ready deposited in Australian bank

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2017 at 10:15, The Pom Queen said:

No, it's just when you carry cash. 

Sorry to hijack!

Just wondering if there are any logistical issues / unforeseen charges when transferring money.

We have set up an account with moneycorp and am in the process of sorting an account with Commonwealth at the moment. 

I know moneycorp say they waive any charges for forum members but wondered if there are any taxes or anything to pay to the Australian government?

We will be transferring a large sum while the pound has strengthened to keep as a house deposit in perth 

Many thanks 

I haven’t paid any oz charges on my transfer last week into commonwealth bank acc that I set up ready for my arrival 

I transferred through world First acc as their rate was a little more 

think oz tax forms are submitted each year through an accountant after you’ve been there a year & banks have a legal requirement to notify taxes of large sums over 10,000- ? But if you use it to buy a house - no worries about that I believe 

Linda