Phoning back to the UK

ZoeTaylor

Hi all

We are trying to think of the cheapest way to phone back from Oz to the UK when we get there and also for people to be able to get hold of us without it costing a fortune.  Hubby is thinking we should get a basic £5 per month SIM card that allows you to use your phone in Australia.  Not even sure these exist.  Googling is saying that a phone card with a landline is best.  Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks.

Zoe

Guest The Pom Queen

Skype, messenger, even mobiles now have different wifi call options all free. I know our mobile package gives us so many minutes of free international calls.

Vodafone had a good deal which included overseas minutes on payg - not £5 though!!! If you are on a 3 (non essential) contract in UK you can use Like Home for 30 days in Australia.

Otherwise you can use the wifi options - Skype, Viber, Watsapp etc as long as your recipient has the same app on their phone.

I'm with Woolworths mobile. Their $45 month plan ($40.50 with points card) gives free calling to 10 countries including UK. If someone in the UK or Canada wants to call me, they just send a Google hangout, SMS or email and I call them back.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

We usually face time or Skype.  Virgin mobile gives an international call allowance too.  We also have very cheap UK calls from our landline with Optus.  Hubbie calls his elderly dad the old fashioned way once a week and chats for up to an hour.  Costs usually about $5 extra a month for this.

There are lots of options depending who you want to call and how.  

Conversely my sister has a phone contract in U.K. That allows her to call our landline for free for calls up to an hour. So can be worth sorting people before you go.  If someone wants to Skype or face time us they usually text to set it up.  They even remember the time difference...........usually!

Facetime or Skype gets my vote. ipad, computer. phone and off our home internet so no costs. We only call when at home generally as don't like calling when out as usually busy with life so prefer it to be when at home and we have time to properly devote to chatting. 

I also use Viber with my mum to send pics and texts (which if out comes off my plan data wise, if at home, off our internet). She likes getting pics in real time from when we are out and about and its no different to texting her a pic if I was back there still. Can make calls on it too, comes off the phone data plan if not at home. I've used this twice I think, both times for a quick call when out to ask her something as I knew she was waiting at the other end. 

FWIW, we don't have a landline here in Aus. Never have done since we arrive 4 years ago. I don't know anyone who does these days. All calls are mobile or done over internet in some shape or form. Even when I've had to call UK landline numbers (HMRC, bank etc), I've used the Skype set up and put a few $$ credit on to call and still have most of it left. I just sit at the computer at midnight to speak to someone in the UK at their desk there. Never had any issues and cheap as anything. 

Amaysim Unld 2GB PAYG (on the Optus 4G network): https://www.amaysim.com.au/plans/mobile-plans/unlimited-small

This is what I've bought for myself and the missus. Usually AUD 25, but there's a special offer on at the moment where if you purchase the sim by the 30th of September, you only have to top up by AUD 15 for the first 6 months to get unlimited calls the UK (mobiles and landlines), and unlimited calls and sms to Aus mobs and landline.

Plus you can choose 5 digits of the number. So after 6 months you can kick it to the kerb and port your number.

This should give you enough of a headway to make a start in Aus.

Edited by DukeNinja

12 minutes ago, ZoeTaylor said:

That's great - thanks all.  I think Skype/Whatsapp plus hopefully some free international calls on our mobile contracts will be the way to go.  It would be good though if people could call us but I guess we'll just have to be organised!

Thanks again.

Tbh the time difference works against you for half the year. Makes for early morning or late night calls/chats usually. It's not like people can just phone for a chat in their lunch break. It does tend to take a bit more planning. I usually email my parents I the week to arrange with them a time we can all be home to a Skype. Often means 9am their time and 6pm ish our time. Otherwise they lose their day to get out and do stuff.

Also consider it isn't perhaps the best to spend too much time on the phone with people when trying to settle and adapt. You can often forget to cut the cord as it were and end up feeling like you are missing out on what is going on back there and be distracted from your actual life here. I'd try to go with emails/texts and to organise a chat time on weekends or an evening but not go overboard with it all. Give yourselves a chance to settle in and find your feet.

Hi all
We are trying to think of the cheapest way to phone back from Oz to the UK when we get there and also for people to be able to get hold of us without it costing a fortune.  Hubby is thinking we should get a basic £5 per month SIM card that allows you to use your phone in Australia.  Not even sure these exist.  Googling is saying that a phone card with a landline is best.  Any advice gratefully received!
Thanks.
Zoe

Just use whatsapp or something similar

Hi

Thanks again.  Whatsapp, Skype etc are great (although not for some of our older relatives).  The problem will be if we need to call British banks, mortgages companies, pension companies etc I guess.  Hopefully we can get some inclusive international minutes for that scenario.  

Zoe

• 3 months later...

You can use Skype to make those calls to banks etc. I do without issue. I use free Skype for family and if it’s for business or some such then I use my Skype credit and call direct on this. It’s say $10 or $20 in credit and it lasts for ages. I’ve often had to call HMRC and used Skype to do so. You can see your credit on screen and the sound is great. They hear me fine the other end and I can sit at my desk with paperwork in front of me. It really isn’t difficult to set up and use. 

On 19/09/2017 at 21:41, ZoeTaylor said:

Hi

Thanks again.  Whatsapp, Skype etc are great (although not for some of our older relatives).  The problem will be if we need to call British banks, mortgages companies, pension companies etc I guess.  Hopefully we can get some inclusive international minutes for that scenario.  

Zoe

Thanks guys.  We are here now and have already got a pre-pay mobile which works for 1000 mins to the UK for the first month.  Skype seems to be a great way to ring the UK pretty cheaply.  Loving Australia and our first stop for Christmas with family in Melbourne and very excited to head to our new home in Adelaide tomorrow :-)

18 minutes ago, ZoeTaylor said:

Thanks guys.  We are here now and have already got a pre-pay mobile which works for 1000 mins to the UK for the first month.  Skype seems to be a great way to ring the UK pretty cheaply.  Loving Australia and our first stop for Christmas with family in Melbourne and very excited to head to our new home in Adelaide tomorrow :-)

Give a shout once you are settled :) We are Adelaide too and very happy.