Into The Unknown in Melbourne

jaykay89

I am all set to move to Melbourne in January and have a few questions with any help answering them greatly appreciated. I will be moving with my girlfriend, we are both 27. We have never been to Melbourne before but an opportunity within my company arose and it seamed like the perfect time in life to take a chance on a great opportunity.

First of all my salary will be $98,910 after superannuation and salary continuance insurance premium, based on this is there a way to work out roughly after tax how much a month I will have left over so that I can create a monthly budget? 

Secondly in terms of places to rent, I am hoping to find somewhere within a 45minute commuting distance of the CBD, where I will be working and ideally somewhere reasonably close to the coast. I have looked at the St. Kilda area and heard mixed reviews. We would be looking for a modern furnished two bedroom apartment to start with. Can anyone give any insight on areas that might fit this criteria?

Finally my girlfriend will be looking for a job once we arrive, she is currently a nurse but is open to training in a new profession, as nursing may not be the easiest profession to find a 9-5 Monday Friday to share the same working times as myself. Can anyone recommend the best websites, job sites for uploading CVs / applying for jobs before we arrive. I am wary that it may be hard for her if once I start work she is on her own in a big city not knowing anyone and would be amazing if we both had jobs lined up.

Any help is greatly appreciated, we are both excited at the opportunity of life in Melbourne and any other advice would be taken on board. 

I'd give St Kilda a miss, ok during the day but sleazy after dark, drugs, prostitution and the sort of people attracted to that, it's not a no go area, but there are much nicer places, go along the coast, north or south and you'll find nicer areas, although north would be more expensive. check out Seek for jobs and have a look at the ato tax calculator https://www.ato.gov.au/Calculators-and-tools/?sorttype=SortByTopic 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Thought St Kilda had been cleaned up many years ago now- it used to be the red light district for Melbourne but not especially so these days. 

It's much better than it used to be, much nicer places to live though. Elwood, Brighton and so on. Albert Park and South Melbourne are good, but pricey.

Edited by amibovered

Guest The Pom Queen
On 15/09/2017 at 20:00, starlight7 said:

Thought St Kilda had been cleaned up many years ago now- it used to be the red light district for Melbourne but not especially so these days. 

It has been cleaned up. There are some lovely places in St Kilda, lots of affluent areas which far outweigh the dumps.

On 9/15/2017 at 19:39, jaykay89 said:

Secondly in terms of places to rent, I am hoping to find somewhere within a 45minute commuting distance of the CBD, where I will be working and ideally somewhere reasonably close to the coast. I have looked at the St. Kilda area and heard mixed reviews. We would be looking for a modern furnished two bedroom apartment to start with. Can anyone give any insight on areas that might fit this criteria?

Try Prahran, South Yarra, Hawthorn, WIndsor, Richmond, Brunswick.  If you want to be by the beach, all the bayside suburbs from Brighton South are very nice.

Thanks for all your help.I have budgeted $2500 a month for rent, I am hoping this should be enough to get a nice two bedroom apartment. I am tempted stretch my search out towards Brighton as bayside suburbs are a big draw for me. 

Edited by jaykay89

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

St Kilda's not a dangerous place. Worst you'll get is a some heckling from someone looking for spare change. We stayed there for a year when we came over, and the advantage is that it launches you into the scene as there's so much going on, and it's very easy to get to the CBD. I think for the first year you are a glorified tourist and you want to go out and do or see things. St Kilda gives you all that and more.

Obviously it is over-priced, but you're getting ready access to so much. The compromise is the size of apartment compared with other areas.

Admittedly, after one year we'd had enough and moved to a quiet suburb, but for that first year everything is a novelty, and it's worth taking in. We got tired of the druggies, but not much hassle, so not for one minute would I put you off.

• Like 1

I've visited Melbourne a few times on work trips and been on holiday there with family. I liked St Kilda and if I was 27 and had spare time to enjoy it I reckon it would be a good place to start. Heaps to do within walking distance.

Nursing is an excellent job but as you say, not 9 to 5. There are some positions that you might be lucky with. My wife works in Oncology in a day treatment centre so no shift work. Try the private/public hospitals and smaller health care places for better hours of work. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Try Port Melbourne for somewhere to rent, St Kilda can be rough at night but its also fun. Seek.com.au for jobs or Indeed, google income tax Calculator Australia to get a simple calculation of take home pay. You could also look at Brighton which is a bit more boring on the East coast. Altona also has a beach and theres Wiliamstown too, both West Melbourne.