School Advice/Help! Please!

NCD248

Hello

I have just joined the forum and was hoping to get some advice please. My husband has been offered a job working offshore in Perth. We would be moving from Scotland, with two boys ages 10 and 4. Our son goes to a small private school here and is so happy and settled I'm very worried about how the move will affect him. He's quite sensitive and he has had the same friends since he was 3. I know most kids adjust quite well but it's still a real worry at this point. We have just heard today about his job so I have starting looking online at school but it's very overwhelming. We are lucky we are getting our school fees paid as part of our moving package. Ideally I would like a school that both the boys could attend together so a primary and secondary school. My sons musical and a good music department would be a big plus point for us. I haven't looked at areas to live yet as I thought I would get the school first then look at rentals afterwards. Any help would be much appreciated!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @NCD248 welcome to the forum. I love Perth and I'm sure you will love it to. The whole process is overwhelming especially when you also add the worry of doing the best for our children. We took the plunge with 3 boys back in 2004 and it was the best thing we ever did. We have always lived on the East coast but have moved around between Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville and now near Brissy. Out of all the schools my boys have been to I have found the Faith Lutheran Schools the friendliest with smaller class sizes ie 12 instead of 32 at one of the schools although their target class size is around 28. We are not religious, we don't attend church but absolutely love how the Faith schools seem to be one large family.

When you say you will look at a school first then a rental please be wary that if it is a government school and popular they may be zoned which means you have to find a house in that zone, this can lead to lots of competition for properties 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Most people get their rental first because you have to live in your house 24/7 and need to consider a whole load of other priorities- access, cost, availability etc etc. If you want a K-12 school you’re likely to have to go private if you can find one that has spaces and it won’t matter where you live.